Typical Daily Mail

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Typical Daily Mail

Post by mjr »

Ben@Forest wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 8:21pm
cycle tramp wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 9:24pm It's amazing how many people have forgotten that the daily mail supported Hilter's rise to power.
Nobody on this forum can forget that. Some savant brings it up everything 3 months. What's less well known is that the Daily Mirror had a thing for Moseley.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/medi ... 77871.html
So? The Daily Mirror was then controlled by the same people as the Mail and has long since been unhitched and sold on several times, whereas the Mail is still controlled by the Rothermeres.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mjr wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 9:09pm So? The Daily Mirror was then controlled by the same people as the Mail and has long since been unhitched and sold on several times, whereas the Mail is still controlled by the Rothermeres.
Because you can't judge a newspaper, any newspaper, even if it has the same family or company (but not actually the same people) as owners. 80 years ago was a different era.

CP Scott (after whom the Scott Trust which runs the Guardian is named) owned the Guardian He was a supporter of Zionism and wrote the Guardian leader on the day the Balfour Declaration was announced. He dismissed any other claim to the Holy Land, saying: “The existing Arab population of Palestine is small and at a low stage of civilisation.”. Does that disqualify the Guardian's view in its leader columns now?

In its history the Guardian also variously called for martial law in Ireland during the famine, supported the Confederacy and castigated Lincoln. It makes you wonder what we'd see in it as shocking in 2200.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ben@Forest wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 10:27pm
mjr wrote: 15 Jan 2022, 9:09pm So? The Daily Mirror was then controlled by the same people as the Mail and has long since been unhitched and sold on several times, whereas the Mail is still controlled by the Rothermeres.
Because you can't judge a newspaper, any newspaper, even if it has the same family or company (but not actually the same people) as owners. 80 years ago was a different era.
So is the current Lord Rothermere not a Conservative well over on its right wing?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

mjr wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 12:54am
So is the current Lord Rothermere not a Conservative well over on its right wing?
I don't think that makes him a supporter of the Third Reich. The fascist association line is tired and only brought up by those with little to say. I'd agree with the sentiment in this Guardian article.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/green ... ald-mosley

Of course we could question Greenslade's support of the bombing campaign of the Provisional IRA now - something he was castigated for and had to resign over - the wheel keeps turning...
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Ben@Forest wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 7:41am
mjr wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 12:54am

I don't think that makes him a supporter of the Third Reich. The fascist association line is tired and only brought up by those with little to say.
Is it? I rather think not. The association is brought up as it appears that The Mail has learnt nothing from that time and continues to trott out sections of the community be it illegal immigrants, single mothers, protesters or cyclists as the root cause of problems faced by society today, and by doing so attempts to erode any public empathy or support for that group.

On the plus side The Mail's dwindling readership should hopefully mean that i should live to see the paper collapse within my life time.

Again I refere to the quote of Nelson Muntz 'Ha ha your media is dying'
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I saw this coming years ago. You can't keep campaigning for millions to be spent on cycle paths then expect people not to complain when they aren't used, one day when a government is looking for popular policies to distract from a scandal, using them will be made compulsory. Protests about poor quality paths will fall on deaf ears that belong to people who neither know nor understand anything about cycling, and care even less.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A bit like Brexit - don't blame me.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

axel has a valid point .
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

mattsccm wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 5:27pm axel has a valid point .
Except in this particular case, the cyclepath wasn't finish and the mail jumped on this clip in an attempt to scape goat another section of society, stoking anger in the privileged white middle aged ,middle/upper class white male.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Help me, help me everyone! I'm an middle to upper class white male and due to demographic changes the balance of power is shifting away from my daddy and me to other demographics of society and this makes me scared and frightened....
. I could read something that will help me understand the positions and points of view held by these demographics, which is scary because, what happens if I see their point of view and that would make me question my daddy...?
..or I could read something that which feeds my fear and makes my anger seemed justified while inflating my ego and sense of entitlement...
.thank goodness for the mail...
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Gee, cycle tramp it sounds like to hate the mail alot, why is that?

Well, I'm glad you asked .. why back in the late eighties or early nineties there was a guns'n'roses gig in London. I didn't go but friends and friends of friends went... and afterwards the daily mail carried stories of fictional riots which happened afterwards..

.all to stoke the feeling in their readership that they were right to be scared of this music and angry that the government allows it....

..the mail, happy to p**** in the fountain of truth in order to sell papers by promoting fear and anger
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

axel_knutt wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 2:37pm I saw this coming years ago. You can't keep campaigning for millions to be spent on cycle paths then expect people not to complain when they aren't used, one day when a government is looking for popular policies to distract from a scandal, using them will be made compulsory. Protests about poor quality paths will fall on deaf ears that belong to people who neither know nor understand anything about cycling, and care even less.
Another consideration is how practical are some of the cycle paths we are presented with. I think what I'm saying is facilitation for cyclists is all too often an after-thought and hence ends up being ill-conceived and poorly thought out. I think in this country at present we are somewhere in between the Dutch model and the zero provision model. We don't have the critical mass to make the necessary changes in the average mindset and no government so far has the guts to do what the Dutch did half a century ago. We live in a country where owning a car is cheaper than public transportation and nearly every young person's aspiration seems to be to own a car. It really is an impossible situation with no room for course deviation.

A glimmer of light is the changes to the Highway code. Dutch reach, priority at junctions, roundabout approaches, 1.5/2M rule for overtaking. It will be interesting to see how these rule changes are propagated to the general public OR will they just be forgotten about. I know I will continue using cameras on my bike as it will take a long time for the mindset to change.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

What's less well known is that the Daily Mirror had a thing for Moseley.
Mosely was a Labour MP from 1926 till 1931 and was Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster under the Ramsy MacDonald Labour Government.
It is true that the Mirror was initially attracted to Mosely's "New Party", following his leaving Labour, which morphed into the BUF because of it's economic policies but I read that this was fairly short lived, particularly since the Mirror strongly opposed other European Fascist movements.
I think the Mirror support is a case of "up to a point Lord Copper".
Meanwhile the Daily Heil continued to champion Fascism. Wasn't Edward VIII thought to be a fascist sympathiser?
So Mosely was a Tory, independent, Labour and then fascist - no wonder there are some strange alliances.
Fun fact Mosely was married to Diana (Mitford by birth) at the home of Goebbels. Like him Mosely was an anti semite :evil:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gxaustin wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 6:52pmWasn't Edward VIII thought to be a fascist sympathiser?
No need for the past tense!

How about a Daily Mail article on the subject?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Nazi.html

Jonathan