Selling and passing on kid's bikes.

Tangled Metal

Selling and passing on kid's bikes.

Post by Tangled Metal »

We have two kids bikes we want to clear out but not sure of best way. We are busy still after moving house so we want a low fuss sale. Money less important then passing on to a kid who will use them. I prefer not to dump on local charities because they don't tend to sell them just pass them on for peanuts I think,

The bikes are carrera cosmos 16" in white and orange. Then there's a frog 52 20" wheel bike in orange with a rear rack plus burn sets of tyres with plenty of life left. He only just moved up from it but kids bikes don't tend to wear tyres ime. Both decent but used standard. Perfect for grandparent's visits I reckon as well as main bike.

What is the best way to sell on to families who actually cycle. We toured with these bikes. Our son probably did 25 up to 50 miles a day on the cosmos and on the frog a more consistent 30 to 40 miles a day touring. Both bikes are light compared to most halfords kids bikes es the frog. Our son's old school classmates used to comment on how light they were. A few kept asking for a bike like his. I believe a kid should have as light a bike as possible when learning and improving and onwards. More important than adults getting light bikes IMHO. Weight can put kids off cycling.

So how to sell these with least fuss and still get them into the hands of a kid who cycles?
Jdsk

Re: Selling and passing on kid's bikes.

Post by Jdsk »

I recommend Gumtree because the sale is likely to be local.
https://www.gumtree.com

Jonathan

PS: There's a whole culture and market around Islabikes and Gumtree. With some fascinating descriptions of the bikes.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Contact your local GoRide club details of which can be found via British Cycling website and search for local GoRide clubs, there's always kids growing out of current bikes and parents wanting to buy next size up.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 2:22pm Snip: Our son's old school classmates used to comment on how light they were. A few kept asking for a bike like his.
Perhaps place an add at his old school or contact the classmates? Unless it is a long way from your new house.
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

Tangled Metal wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 2:22pm We have two kids bikes we want to clear out but not sure of best way. We are busy still after moving house so we want a low fuss sale. Money less important then passing on to a kid who will use them. I prefer not to dump on local charities because they don't tend to sell them just pass them on for peanuts I think,

The bikes are carrera cosmos 16" in white and orange. Then there's a frog 52 20" wheel bike in orange with a rear rack plus burn sets of tyres with plenty of life left. He only just moved up from it but kids bikes don't tend to wear tyres ime. Both decent but used standard. Perfect for grandparent's visits I reckon as well as main bike.

What is the best way to sell on to families who actually cycle. We toured with these bikes. Our son probably did 25 up to 50 miles a day on the cosmos and on the frog a more consistent 30 to 40 miles a day touring. Both bikes are light compared to most halfords kids bikes es the frog. Our son's old school classmates used to comment on how light they were. A few kept asking for a bike like his. I believe a kid should have as light a bike as possible when learning and improving and onwards. More important than adults getting light bikes IMHO. Weight can put kids off cycling.

So how to sell these with least fuss and still get them into the hands of a kid who cycles?
You should say how much you want for the bikes and try advertising on the "for sale" board on this site, plus facebook & gumtree? One of the members here might take them.

If you're in London, I might even be potentially interested (my son is 6 and currently cycling on a single speed kids bike which he complains is too heavy) and the replacement 6 geared bike I got him a couple of weeks ago has a few, er, "issues". :D