"Build" my commuter for me.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Re: "Build" my commuter for me.

Post by mattsccm »

I do know of a 653 Galaxy doing nothing. Maybe some drum brakes inthere would work with a SA IGH plus dynamo. Hmm
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

First thing that would be on my list would be drum brakes as they work in all weathers are are virtually maintenance free. I fitted a SA 90mm drum with dynamo on the front of my cargo bike three years ago and have never needed to adjust it, and the brake works really well.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-intern ... w-36-hole/

My observations of maintenance on our commuting bikes is that apart from cleaning, which is a five minute job at most, the messy and time consuming bit is brakes and transmission, so an IHG would be a great move. Good mudguards with a long flap on the front is also a must.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I don't think is going to help the design, but for my benefit, please: for this sort of HPV with IGH as a given would you consider belt drive as well as chain drive?

Thanks

Jonathan
mig

Post by mig »

i have looked at similar frames for quite a few years and i don't think that one frame will match all those requirements.

horizontal dropouts or track ends at 130 or 135OLN are hard to find (only on old touring frames as noted upthread.)

a pompino frame is a good match but not many now can be found at 130OLN. i ride mine fixed or singlespeed at 120OLN through the mucky time of year.

there was a bike called a cotic roadrat at one point that was similar but they no longer seem to be available.

hope that you find something though!
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

+1 on hub brakes from me. I have them on my winter bike and once bedded in and adjusted they just work come rain or shine. No grey alloy slurry on your rims and no noises from grit caught in between rotor and pads.

I'd also go for a hub gear system if your commute is not too hilly.
ElCani

Post by ElCani »

mig wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 10:30am i have looked at similar frames for quite a few years and i don't think that one frame will match all those requirements.

horizontal dropouts or track ends at 130 or 135OLN are hard to find (only on old touring frames as noted upthread.)

a pompino frame is a good match but not many now can be found at 130OLN. i ride mine fixed or singlespeed at 120OLN through the mucky time of year.

there was a bike called a cotic roadrat at one point that was similar but they no longer seem to be available.

hope that you find something though!
Surly Cross Check and Genesis Day One frames both meet the requirements, no? Superfluous brake mounts on both of course, if drum brakes were used.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

I really don't have any recommendations, what works for one person may not work for the next, and its the same with maintenance. Just because it takes me an hour of faffing with cantilever brakes, doesn't mean to say that the next person won't sort them out in five minutes.

What I would say is 'don't spend your whole budget all at once'. Your first bike might work out well on paper but less so in practice, and you might go through several changes or even several bikes to get one which works for you in the majority of the conditions and weathers. If you splosh your dosh in one hit, you may not have enough funds to make the changes you require.

I've found that commuting brings different challenges and makes you think about things you might not thought of like 'is my works laptop okay in my pannier bag after I hit that really big pothole?' and 'can I take a cup of hot tea from the office to have during the ride and watch the sunset?'
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

It is the transmission that I wish to simplify I suppose. A IGH with some close ratios and some bomb proof brakes is what I need in a nippy frame with guards and 35mm tyre clearance. Been using various gravel/CX bikes for 3 years and the transmission is what is constantly needing attention. Could use tarmac instead I guess.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

mig wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 10:30amThere was a bike called a cotic roadrat at one point that was similar but they no longer seem to be available.
Sadly true, and I'm hanging on to mine :wink:
"42"
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

mattsccm wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 5:32pm It is the transmission that I wish to simplify I suppose. A IGH with some close ratios and some bomb proof brakes is what I need in a nippy frame with guards and 35mm tyre clearance. Been using various gravel/CX bikes for 3 years and the transmission is what is constantly needing attention. Could use tarmac instead I guess.
If you achieve this - i'll be interested in what the final set up is. I've not been able to get IGH and Nippy commuter in the same bike. Tried with a few frames but always found a bit clumsy (back end heavy). The closest i've got is the Charge Mixer - it feels a bit more like the IGH is tucked underneath - maybe the frame just suits me or it has a short wheelbase.

Even so its spends most of the time single speed, with the IGH being put on occasionally to change it up. I'd like to try a SA IGH instead of the shimano - not sure if that would make a difference.
PH

Post by PH »

mattsccm wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 5:32pm I suppose. A IGH with some close ratios
Does such a thing exist?
The often mentioned Shimano 8 is great value and reliable, but close it isn't, 307% over 8 gears, but they're far from evenly spaced. Even the 14 speed Rohloff has consistent 13% spacing, which is fine with me but I still wouldn't consider it close.
If you want IGH and close ratios, you might consider running a S8 with a double chainset, the Alfine tensioner is designed to cope with up to a 16T difference, though of course you then lose some of the IGH advantages.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I agree with Jupestar. A heavy hub gear will affect the feel of the bike, and a lot of weight weight concentrated in the rear wheel is not suited to the sort of riding defined by words like 'lively', 'spirited', 'out of the saddle effort' etc. The Alfine 8 speed is 1,670g, and the Rohloff ~1,800g. The Sturmey Archer 5 speed hubs appear to be around 2,000g and the 70mm drum brake version is 2,290g.

The lower weight and the greater simplicity of a 3 speed will be much more suited to a 'sportier' bike and style of riding. Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs typically weigh 1,000g-1,100g depending upon the model, and the 70mm drum brake version is 1,400g.

As for close ratio, that suggests that you want an IGH with gearing similar to your gravel bike's derailleur gearing. If you expect that of an IGH, you will be disappointed.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

PH wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 11:13am
mattsccm wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 5:32pm I suppose. A IGH with some close ratios
Does such a thing exist?
The often mentioned Shimano 8 is great value and reliable, but close it isn't, 307% over 8 gears, but they're far from evenly spaced. Even the 14 speed Rohloff has consistent 13% spacing, which is fine with me but I still wouldn't consider it close.
If you want IGH and close ratios, you might consider running a S8 with a double chainset, the Alfine tensioner is designed to cope with up to a 16T difference, though of course you then lose some of the IGH advantages.
I use a Sturmey Archer FM on my commuter. SA considered it to be medium ratio, of course, but it's close enough for me!
Ratios: -33.3%, -14.3%, Direct, +12.5%
A pity they stopped making them in 1963.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

robc02 wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 1:43pm I use a Sturmey Archer FM on my commuter. SA considered it to be medium ratio, of course, but it's close enough for me!
Ratios: -33.3%, -14.3%, Direct, +12.5%
A pity they stopped making them in 1963.
Is that a disc brake version? :D
hemo

Post by hemo »

I bought a Roadrat frame in v.g condition and built it up to an e-roadrat with a 3lb Bafang hub fitted in to Surly DT forks and an Alfine8, It is my wet weather local commute bike and errand bike, for dry days I use my Arkose 2 . The small motor hub is no bigger then the Alfine and for battery I used the aluminium drinks bottle for a 44v 6ah application that will give up to 30 miles range, the beauty of the G370 hub is it lightness and its free running without power.
G370.JPG