E Scooter implications for Cyclists

Phil Fouracre

Re: E Scooter implications for Cyclists

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Don’t know about ‘speed restrictions’ - they’re simply illegal on the road!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Because they're illegal on the road, it's easy and legal to sell them without speed restrictions. Just be sure to tell the customer that "it's for use on private land".
RickH

Post by RickH »

I suspect what will actually happen is that the existing change to the law that classes e-scooters as the same a e-bikes (with the odd minor difference - currently they are, I think, allowed to have a 300W motor rather than the 250W for bikes). Then the obviously illegal ones can be dealt with, as much as there is or isn't the will to do so by the authorities.

It wouldn't surprise me if it happens this year.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

RickH wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 3:49pm I suspect what will actually happen is that the existing change to the law that classes e-scooters as the same a e-bikes (with the odd minor difference - currently they are, I think, allowed to have a 300W motor rather than the 250W for bikes). Then the obviously illegal ones can be dealt with, as much as there is or isn't the will to do so by the authorities.

A key difference is that an e-bike cannot have a throttle, but e-scooters do have them. I think that puts the 2 in very different categories (it makes an e-scooter more like an e-moped than an e-bike). Of course, what I think doesn't really affect what will actually happen!
hemo

Post by hemo »

escooters can't be classed the same as pedelecs as already been mentioned, there is no human propulsion to them.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

hemo wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 5:26pm escooters can't be classed the same as pedelecs as already been mentioned, there is no human propulsion to them.
Can't you scoot them like a non-e scooter, should you so wish?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You have to scoot them thus to start off (at least with the Voi hire ones).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

RickH wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 3:49pm I suspect what will actually happen is that the existing change to the law that classes e-scooters as the same a e-bikes (with the odd minor difference - currently they are, I think, allowed to have a 300W motor rather than the 250W for bikes). Then the obviously illegal ones can be dealt with, as much as there is or isn't the will to do so by the authorities.

I wouldn't be surprised either. It would be a reasonable, pragmatic solution IMO.
hemo

Post by hemo »

The motors are small Direct Drive hubs, scooting them with power applied to get going is one thing but trying to do so without power is near impossible as the internal motor has no gear reduction to allow freewheeling.
They simply can't be pedalled or ridden unpowered like most pedelecs, even some pedelecs are hard work to cycle unpowered and the 1kw illegal ones all but impossible with the non geared D/D hubs.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I'm getting a strong urge to purchase an e scooter with all this escooteryness.
I am here. Where are you?