Good bag for keeping locks in

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Psamathe

Re: Good bag for keeping locks in

Post by Psamathe »

I just use a "single use" supermarket carrier bag (which are actually far from "single use"). They last a long time and easy to replace. My D-lock (which I rarely carry these days) stays pretty clean anyway, it's the cable with padlock which I normally carry that sometimes picks us grease/crub when it accidentally makes contact with the chain.

Ian
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Don't laugh, but I know the problem, and I use an old sock inside a bread bag.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I just use an old plastic bag from packaging wrapping - then chuck away/replace when it's worn out.
Sweep
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Sweep wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 10:03am I just use an old plastic bag from packaging wrapping - then chuck away/replace when it's worn out.
Yeah - bread bags - old plastic bags - they cost nothing :D and we'd throw them away anyway.
The old sock inside the bread bag stops the lock from rattling in the saddlebag, and the old sock.absorbs the oil to re-coat the lock..
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

You could buy one of those Hafords children's bike trailers (the kind with the covered roof) and then fill it with expandable spray foam from B&Q. Then use a dremel to carefully mill out a lock-shaped hole in the middle of the foam, and line the hole with several layers of thick rubber sheeting.

Then you can pull the trailer around with the bike and use it as a portable lock storage device, without any fear of cross-contanimation or annoying lock-rubbing-against-things sounds.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I don't recognise the problem with oil. I have an ordinary brass padlock, and a chain sleeved with an old inner tube. It never goes anywhere near anything greasy, I thread it around a drainpipe or whatever, through the pannier handles, and then clip the padlock onto the brake adjuster bridge. It lives in a pannier pocket.

My irritating experience with grease was when I was loading groceries into the pannier at Weymouth, and didn't notice that the wind was blowing the carrier bag onto the chain. Another was after I stopped for a butty break and forgot to fasten one of the pannier straps. I rode 15 miles home OK, then just as I turned off the drive onto the patio at the back of the house, the strap got dragged into the rear derailleur.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Mr Tom

Post by Mr Tom »

After following the link to Planet X I spotted these bags for 50p so ordered a few of them. The thin ones are perfect for D-locks

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/accessori ... ge/musette
WhatsApp Image 2022-01-17 at 2.02.25 PM.jpeg
Cushions are my Mum's :D
Mr Tom

Post by Mr Tom »

jimster99 wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 3:00pm You could buy one of those Hafords children's bike trailers (the kind with the covered roof) and then fill it with expandable spray foam from B&Q. Then use a dremel to carefully mill out a lock-shaped hole in the middle of the foam, and line the hole with several layers of thick rubber sheeting.

Then you can pull the trailer around with the bike and use it as a portable lock storage device, without any fear of cross-contanimation or annoying lock-rubbing-against-things sounds.
I've actually got a trailer so that's not as far fetched as you might think!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 10:22am Have you tried graphite for lubricating the lock? It's what you're supposed to use, apparently.
Yes, it's a good lubricant for many types of locks and similar stuff. And zip fasteners.

Jonathan
Mr Tom

Post by Mr Tom »

freiston wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 12:36pm
Mr Tom wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 10:21am . . .I'll do a few experiments, deffo like the idea of making something. I'll try a few of the suggestions, thanks!
I made a simple roll-top saddle bag (using the material that I linked to above) to keep a lock and an extended toolkit (including spare tubes) in. By far the biggest expense was the Carradice QR saddlebag bracket that I used. I designed the bag to have a "sleeve" that I could slot a stiffener (cut from a plastic milk bottle) into; there are also plastic stiffeners (cut from a cheap thin flexible chopping board) sewn into the hem of the roll-top too. I can use my panniers and/or my rack pack with the saddlebag attached. In hindsight, I would have made the roll-top section longer.
IMG_5399.JPG
IMG_5401.JPG
IMG_5402.JPG
That looks so nice! You could put a 'how to make' up online somewhere - like a video or step by step instructions. Or just sell the bags themselves.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Mr Tom wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 12:12pm
freiston wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 12:36pm
Mr Tom wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 10:21am . . .I'll do a few experiments, deffo like the idea of making something. I'll try a few of the suggestions, thanks!
I made a simple roll-top saddle bag (using the material that I linked to above) to keep a lock and an extended toolkit (including spare tubes) in. By far the biggest expense was the Carradice QR saddlebag bracket that I used. I designed the bag to have a "sleeve" that I could slot a stiffener (cut from a plastic milk bottle) into; there are also plastic stiffeners (cut from a cheap thin flexible chopping board) sewn into the hem of the roll-top too. I can use my panniers and/or my rack pack with the saddlebag attached. In hindsight, I would have made the roll-top section longer.
IMG_5399.JPG
IMG_5401.JPG
IMG_5402.JPG
That looks so nice! You could put a 'how to make' up online somewhere - like a video or step by step instructions. Or just sell the bags themselves.
Thank you very much. It's very much a "prototype" rough old bag and not up to commercial standards (or commercially viable). I didn't keep any record of how to make it except for a very simple "plan" and most of the methodology in cutting, hemming, stitching and process was worked out in the head and not noted elsewhere - I'm not sure I could re-work it out in my head now lol.

The plan was to assist my head getting round the design and formulating the methodology, and to provide a basic guide for sizing but does not include any allowance for hemming. If anyone is interested, I've reproduced it below - the green hashing is a second piece of material that provides a lining (that the milk-bottle stiffener goes into) and a sleeve for the aluminium bar (hashed red) that I used in place of a traditional dowel, with "indents" cut for the fixing straps to go round. To get the box shape, I stitched edges marked 'a' and 'x' together and edges marked 'b' and 'y' together (same on other end). If I were to do another one, I would make it longer for a better roll-over.
planwith letters.jpeg
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)