Measuring Blood Pressure

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Measuring Blood Pressure

Post by Mick F »

Update.

The BP monitor - sphygmomanometer - I've had for years but not used for quite some time, seems to be giving horrible results and showing errors as well as tightening the arm-cuff to maximum .......... and it hurts.
Tried it on Mrs Mick F, and it was the same.
It's going in the recycling - the old monitor, not Mrs Mick F! :lol:

Meanwhile, got onto the internet, and found an Argos wrist unit and as we could do a spot of shopping in Launceston, I did a click and collect for it.
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8370749 ... tor:2:25:1

Came home, unpacked it and tried it out.
161 over 100

Later, took the doggie a walk, called in at the pub on our way home, and have taken a few more readings over couple of cans of beer.
157 over 97
165 over 103
147 over 90
166 over 68
159 over 103

Main causes of high BP are many, and stress and alcohol are only two.
I suffer from stress - gives me high BP.
I love a beer or three or four or five - relaxes me beautifully and removes the stress, but gives high BP.
I cannot win.

Meanwhile, I have an appointment with the Dr tomorrow.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 4:28pmMeanwhile, got onto the internet, and found an Argos wrist unit and as we could do a spot of shopping in Launceston, I did a click and collect for it.
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8370749 ... tor:2:25:1
If that's a WBP1 then it's on the list of validated devices:
https://bihsoc.org/bp-monitors/for-home-use/

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Three times in the last few years (THINKS: What happened to thrice?) I've been fitted with a gadget you wear for 24 hours and it takes a reading every 30 mins during the day and hourly at night. The big benefits are not having to shell out nor faff about reading it. I only mention this because nobody else seems to have done so
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 4:57pm Three times in the last few years (THINKS: What happened to thrice?) I've been fitted with a gadget you wear for 24 hours and it takes a reading every 30 mins during the day and hourly at night. The big benefits are not having to shell out nor faff about reading it. I only mention this because nobody else seems to have done so
That's Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitoring (ABPM), and here's where it fits into the NICE diagnostic pathway:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng136/ ... pertension
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng136/ ... 6899919517

Jonathan

PS: Thrice... over here:
viewtopic.php?p=1666748#p1666748
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Recording this post for prosperity.

Was out shopping, and came back with my new BP wrist device.
After opening the box and fitting the (included) batteries, it showed me as 204/113 :shock:

Took the dog a walk and a couple of pints, and home after lighting the fire, 161/100
Had a can of beer or two, and settling down in front of the fire. 157/97
More cans later, and prearing our evening meal ...... 165/103

Later, after another couple of cans, 147/90 and after a while chilling out, 166/68 and later 159/103.
Still later 179/111

We ate at 6pm with a glass of wine or two, and sitting down in my armchair, measured 127/78 at 6.30pm, then 110/76 at 6.45pm, and 117/74 at 7pm.

Blood pressure?
What's that then?
Mick F. Cornwall
ossie

Post by ossie »

Mick F wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 7:16pm
Took the dog a walk and a couple of pints, and home after lighting the fire, 161/100

Later, after another couple of cans, 147/90 and after a while chilling out, 166/68 and later 159/103.
Still later 179/111

We ate at 6pm with a glass of wine or two, and sitting down in my armchair, measured 127/78 at 6.30pm, then 110/76 at 6.45pm, and 117/74 at 7pm.

Blood pressure?
What's that then?
Just out of Interest ...how many cans :lol:

I'm not adverse to a few beers and a glass of vino but find alcohol raises my blood pressure. (I have an omron)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

ossie wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 7:33pm
Mick F wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 7:16pm

Still later 179/111

Blood pressure?
What's that then?
Just out of Interest ...how many cans :lol:

I'm not adverse to a few beers and a glass of vino but find alcohol raises my blood pressure. (I have an omron)
As a scrupulous (compulsive?) logger of everything in your life, I could imagine you record every last drop of sherbet passing your lips in terms of quantity and alcohol content.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 7:16pmTook the dog a walk and a couple of pints, and home after lighting the fire, 161/100

Still later 179/111

I recommend that you include a discussion of your alcohol consumption when you see your GP tomorrow.

Jonathan
ossie

Post by ossie »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 7:49pm
As a scrupulous (compulsive?) logger of everything in your life, I could imagine you record every last drop of sherbet passing your lips in terms of quantity and alcohol content.
Sorry I'm not sure I understand your point, is this aimed at me :wink: ? I've had an Omron for a decade (as used by the NHS) and I drink alcohol, probably more than is technically healthy. I also cycle thousands of miles a year and have been doing the same on Zwift for the last three months where I'm probably over doing it but yes, without doubt alcohol will raise my blood pressure.

In relation to alcohol content, absolutely. A 4% beer is massively different from anything approaching 5% at my age. In relation to wine, Tesco do a 11%. If I necked a 13% Merlot in the same way as a 11% then I'm a write off.

So yes I do study alcohol content, that said I don't touch spirits which is probably my saving grace.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sorry I'm not sure I understand your point, is this aimed at me?
And I'm sorry too. I took it for granted that it was obvious I was addressing Mick F, prompted by your "How many cans?" query, but referring to Mick F's posted data on everything else.
ossie

Post by ossie »

thirdcrank wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 8:52pm
Sorry I'm not sure I understand your point, is this aimed at me?
And I'm sorry too. I took it for granted that it was obvious I was addressing Mick F, prompted by your "How many cans?" query, but referring to Mick F's posted data on everything else.
No worries, I was in your post so suddenly thought I was under the spotlight...phew :wink:

Like you, I've been here for years and know Mick loves his beer, like Mick I do probably wonder when catch up time might arrive with a few of us. I guess I was a little shocked to read his consumption but presumed it wasn't a daily occurrence ..
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On a local note, I see the D&C police have been active.

200 arrested in Christmas drink-drive campaign in Devon and Cornwall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-60036385
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D
Good morning guys.

Two pints of Dartmoor Legend 4.4% at the pub, then walked home.
Four 500ml cans of Lidl'e beer at 4.5% but that took me from 13:00 when me and doggie got home, until 17:30 ish.

Cooked our evening nosh - savoury mince and loadsa spuds and yummy veg - and a couple glasses of Lid's Chenin Blanc and another two whilst watching a couple of episodes from the first series of 'Allo 'Allo.

Bed at 21:00 ish.

Up this morning at 05:45 and whilst having a cuppa, took my BP 143/75
Took it another four times up until 08:00 where it was still way too high at 188/107

During this time, I reviewed my figures for the previous evening, and a thought struck me, that my BP was high because I hadn't eaten, but after eating, it lowered to a sensible figure. I don't bother with lunch these days, so I go from breakfast to the evening with zero food input.

To that end, after a good breakfast, I took it again.
09:00 143/83
09:30 145/79

I'll take it again soon. I'll also be taking my figures to the doctor's later.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 9:56am :D :D
Good morning guys.

Two pints of Dartmoor Legend 4.4% at the pub, then walked home.
Four 500ml cans of Lidl'e beer at 4.5% but that took me from 13:00 when me and doggie got home, until 17:30 ish.

Cooked our evening nosh - savoury mince and loadsa spuds and yummy veg - and a couple glasses of Lid's Chenin Blanc and another two whilst watching a couple of episodes from the first series of 'Allo 'Allo.

Bed at 21:00 ish.

Up this morning at 05:45 and whilst having a cuppa, took my BP 143/75
Took it another four times up until 08:00 where it was still way too high at 188/107

During this time, I reviewed my figures for the previous evening, and a thought struck me, that my BP was high because I hadn't eaten, but after eating, it lowered to a sensible figure. I don't bother with lunch these days, so I go from breakfast to the evening with zero food input.

To that end, after a good breakfast, I took it again.
09:00 143/83
09:30 145/79

I'll take it again soon. I'll also be taking my figures to the doctor's later. (My bold)
Coming back to a couple of recent posts, will you be giving your doctor the details of your booze intake or just your BP readings? Also, was yesterday typical for you?

As a bit of free advice based on my own past mistakes, skipping meals can be a bad thing as it can hammer your metabolic system: I believe it was a cause of my type 2 diabetes.

Over the years I've gained a lot of experience of alcohol and driving. (Not as a driver, that is.) You may be surprised - or not - at the extent to which alcohol can remain in the system, especially if it's regularly topped up. If you are routinely necking 3 to 3.5 litres of beer and wine daily, it may be that you are rarely, if ever, under the legal limit for driving, no matter how safe you feel.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No doubt - considering your professional career - you are correct.
No, it's not a regular or frequent thing I do with resect to booze, though I am a frequent and regular drinker. Rarely does a day go by without a drink or three or four.

Saw the doc today.
He's a BP expert and that was why I was given an appointment with him.
Chatted about it, and showed him my recent spreadsheet of results and my thoughts about it all.
He was incredulous regarding the hospital refusing my procedure due to high BP. Hospitals create high blood pressure! :shock:

He took my BP and it was HIGH of course as I was in the surgery.
Chatted to me, relaxed me, and took it a few times. The figures dropped, but still too high.
He also said that BP is high in the mornings and low in the evenings.

He gave me a chart to fill in for five days for AM and PM readings with pulse rate too.
I asked what AM means and what PM means considering his statement regarding mornings and evenings. He said AM could be lunchtime and PM could be late evening ..................... so that made me feel better!

Did my first reading for the chart at 2pm today and recorded 151/87 pulse rate 72.
Second at 6.30pm as 126/78 and pr 80.

No doubt in an hour or two or three, it'll be even lower,
Mick F. Cornwall