LEJOG Route advice Carlisle - Stirling

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
fishman18

LEJOG Route advice Carlisle - Stirling

Post by fishman18 »

I'm planning an 8 day LEJOG for June this year, and I have most of the route planned out...however, I have to get from Carlisle to Stirling in one day, and I'm struggling with planning a route to thread the needle between Glasgow and Edinburgh on reasonably direct but quiet roads. I really don't want to hit any busy A roads or big conurbations unnecessarily, but I'd like to keep the distance under 125miles if possible, and the Forth bridge adds quite a detour in on this route.

Any advice appreciated, especially those with local knowledge or who have previously ridden this route as part of a LEJOG.

Cheers
Andy
Paulatic

Re: LEJOG Route advice Carlisle - Stirling

Post by Paulatic »

Via Forth bridge is certainly a big detour.
The route cycle.travel suggests https://cycle.travel/map/journey/282306 at a glance looks to be about as direct as you can get. There are a couple of sections there I’d probably trim if on LEJOG at Gretna and Stonehouse.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

That's a big day, must be 200km plus.

My first thought would be to suggest the old A74 (B7076/B7078) to the east of Glasgow and then thread your way through the urban sprawl to Cumbernauld and Kilsyth. However here's an alternative based on a route that I've recommended before, and one that I used myself on my own LEJOG.

Briefly, follow the 7076 to Happenden Services then head cross country on minor roads to Lannark. From Lanark take the minor road North to Kilndadzow and Carluke. Continue northwards to Hartwood Stn and Kirk of Shotts, cross the M8 and head towards Airdrie. Pass to the east and north of Airdrie and pick up the B802 which can be followed all the way to Kilsyth. From Kilsyth you can follow minor roads north over the Kilsyth Hills all the way to Stirling.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

B7076 from Carlisle up through Gretna, Ecclefechan, Lockerbie, Beattock, Abington. It's a dull and quite bumpy road, it's made with very coarse tarmac.

There's a tiny stretch on the A702 (towards Edinburgh) and then fork left onto the quieter A73 up to Thankerton. Carstairs, Forth, Whitburn, cross the M8 there. You'll have to go through the western edge of Falkirk and then up to Bannockburn / Stirling. Some of it is kind of "find your own way", there's a bit of a network of lanes around there - one is much like any other to be honest.

Stirling Road (the A9) is quite unpleasant but you're not on it for long. Over the M876, past the golf course then fork left and up past Plean Country Park and you come into Stirling over the M9 / M80 junction. There's a (rather substandard) cycle route around the right hand edge of it but it's rideable on a road / touring bike. DO NOT ride over the roundabout itself!!

Putting up with that short stretch of awful roundabout is (IMO) better than putting up with the much longer stretch of A9 running into Stirling. The only really "nice" way into Stirling is crossing over the M9 just south of Cambusbarron but it's a bit of a diversion round to the west to get there, in which case you want to follow Norman H's route (previous post) up through Airdrie.
fishman18

Post by fishman18 »

Thanks for the feedback - thats really helped. I've got the route below pencilled in at 126m/203km; I'm ok with the distance, but if there's any suggestions to tweak this let me know, especially the sections around Cumbernauld and Airdree.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38383116

Norman - my only real concern is the climb out of Kilsyth; as it will be near the end of the day, just want to gauge how hard this is? Long steady climbs no problem, but if there are steep gradients would be good to be mentally prepared!

I've also got a plan B to skip the last hill....thoughts?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38382724
fishman18

Post by fishman18 »

One other thing while I'm asking questions - does anyone know the current state of the old A9? Specifically any section that should be avoided on a road bike with 28mm tyres? I've heard there have been a lot of recent upgrades, so would be a big help to know if its all rideable atm!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

fishman18 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 5:30am One other thing while I'm asking questions - does anyone know the current state of the old A9? Specifically any section that should be avoided on a road bike with 28mm tyres? I've heard there have been a lot of recent upgrades, so would be a big help to know if its all rideable atm!
Not ridden it since 2018 ( on 28mm) but have looked across from a car the last two years and there’s miles of new black asphalt to see.

E2E info
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I must admit it did occur to me that you'd probably have 100 miles plus in your legs when you hit that climb out of Kilsyth. I've done it a few times since our LEJOG, when staying with my friend in Balfron. It's a favourite with local cyclists, together with the climb out of Lennoxtown. It rises about 850' in around 2½ miles, mostly a steady climb with a couple of flatter sections followed by steeper ramps, and even a sight descent before the actual summit. Incidentally it's worth stopping to admire the view from the top. On a good day you can see Arran to the south west and the Forth Bridge to the east.

If you get to Kilsyth and you're absolutely cream-crackered you could bail out and divert to your plan B option; As the A802 enters Kilsyth it crosses the Forth and Clyde Canal, use the excellent cycle path alongside and join your other route at Banknock where the motorway crosses the canal.

Finally just a couple or general observations on your routes:

You leave the old A74 at Abingdon and take the A73 into Lanark. You could stay on the B7078 to the next motorway junction at Happenden and take the back roads into Lanark; Follow the signs to the Happenden motorway services and turn right just before you reach them. This may save a few miles and should be quieter than the A73.

Your route takes a couple of detours from the A802. The first at around 109 miles for no apparent reason. The second a couple of miles later which looks more reasonable but following the A802 all the way would probably simplify navigation.
Ron

Post by Ron »

fishman18 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 5:30amOne other thing while I'm asking questions - does anyone know the current state of the old A9?
Which parts?
You would need to be more specific, you are seeking information on more than 25% of the LEJOG mileage :) .
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ron wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 10:10am
fishman18 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 5:30amOne other thing while I'm asking questions - does anyone know the current state of the old A9?
Which parts?
You would need to be more specific, you are seeking information on more than 25% of the LEJOG mileage :) .
When people refer to "old A9" route I've always assumed it Perth to Inverness. Have you have a secret 500 ml LEJOG route to reveal? :D

E2E info
Ron

Post by Ron »

Paulatic wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 12:39pmWhen people refer to "old A9" route I've always assumed it Perth to Inverness. Have you have a secret 500 ml LEJOG route to reveal? :D
Oh! I think of it as running from Edinburgh to JOG, which back in the day was 290 miles, thus my 25% estimate.
However, as fishman18 intends to do LEJOG in 8 days he would probably be as well to stay on the present A9 as much as he can until the Latheron junction.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

When I rode the lejog in 8 days I didn't have any problem with the a9. The kessock bridge was a bit hairy in the wind.

viewtopic.php?t=126267

Some will not be relavent due to my accommodation choices. (family)

Cheers James
mediumbird

Post by mediumbird »

How about this? https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38455055
We rode the route from Carlisle to Abington as part of our LEJOG. it just parallels the motorway and the surface isn’t great. The Lanarkshire section over to Falkirk is a bit lumpy, but doable. From Larbert the route is relatively quiet single track roads I used to regularly commute on. Road surface can be a bit variable though as it’s farming country. The suggested route from Kilsyth is nicknamed Tak m Doon and is a recognised hill for local cyclists to challenge themselves….

As regards the A9 cycle path, I cycled it last year and the single track path has been completely replaced with nice tarmac. Then you’ve got old bits of the road or cycle on, which in general are good, but there are a couple of short track type sections as the tar has worn off.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

If you want to 'race' the Jogle in 8 days, by all means take the busy, featureless A9 route.

If you want to actually 'enjoy' the ride then it has to be the A82 Great Glen route every time. Theres also the option to do a terrific off road Great Glen, along the canal side.

A word of warning though, if you want decent accommodation then you have to be booking round about now, as even though there's a tremendous amount of quality and beautifully located places to stay (unlike the Perth A9 route) it does book out fairly quickly. Especially the youth hostels and bunk house accommodation. You have been warned!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

:D If like @slowtwitch you find constantly changing wooded valleys, fields, animals, mountain tops and the views from them ‘featureless' then like @slowtwitch it won’t be a route for you. And if like @slowtwitch you can’t find any refreshment along the route viewtopic.php?t=149429&start=15 Then assume you won’t have a hope in hell finding accommodation in Perth, Aviemore, and numerous options between.
However to anyone with an open mind I’d advise not ruling it out as an option.
A benefit I don’t think has been mentioned is you will burst into song when you come across the first sign for Killiecrankie.
Well I did :D

E2E info