Walking the wrong way

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Walking the wrong way

Post by mjr »

mattsccm wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 5:40pm Then they should darn well slow down as we expect drivers or cyclists to.
I am pretty sure we tell drivers and cyclists to use treated routes in preference to attempting to use iced routes slowly. Walkers and runners have a right to use the carriageway and not only the footway refuge... in icy conditions, they arguably have a duty to use the carriageway and not expose themselves to risk of injury unnecessarily.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

No need for them to slow down, Cowsham easily overtakes them anyway.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Vorpal wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 5:13pm
RickH wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 3:36pm
Cowsham wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 8:37am While out at 6am this morning ( still dark ) I happened upon a runner, in town, running with the flow of traffic but out in the middle of the road when there was a perfectly good footpath to use.
He had the good sense at least to be sporting a red light on his back.
Had to ting the bell to let him know I was about to overtake him.
Many runners use the road rather than the pavement (footway) as, despite our complaints as cyclists about the state of the roads, the road has often got a better surface & also has fewer things obstructing it.
And much lower likelihood of ice at 6:00 am.
Was actually very mild that morning cos I certainly wouldn't have been out on the ice. My ribs feel a twinge at the very thought of hitting the road that hard so below 4 degree -- not for me.
I am here. Where are you?
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

mattheus wrote: 13 May 2021, 4:12pm Are you still standing by this statement Mr Cowsham?
Cowsham wrote: 12 May 2021, 4:36pm
thirdcrank wrote: 12 May 2021, 2:25pm

That's it. Drivers just need to remember that they cannot see round corners.

I was expecting that quote to pop up but if you can't drive around a bend you can't see around then there would be colossal traffic jams.

Or you'd creep around the bend anticipating someone walking on your side of the road then another car traveling at speed would hit the rear of yours collecting the walker along with whatever is oncoming on the other side
[my bold]
I note that Cowsham still hasn't confirmed whether or not he still stands by this, despite posting several times since being asked.

Although he has further implied that he objects to stopping or indeed slowing when dazzled.

I think we can conclude that Cowsham causes danger to other road users when driving (and probably when cycling).
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

AlaninWales wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 11:47am
mattheus wrote: 13 May 2021, 4:12pm Are you still standing by this statement Mr Cowsham?

I was expecting that quote to pop up but if you can't drive around a bend you can't see around then there would be colossal traffic jams.

Or you'd creep around the bend anticipating someone walking on your side of the road then another car traveling at speed would hit the rear of yours collecting the walker along with whatever is oncoming on the other side
[my bold]
I note that Cowsham still hasn't confirmed whether or not he still stands by this, despite posting several times since being asked.

Although he has further implied that he objects to stopping or indeed slowing when dazzled.

I think we can conclude that Cowsham causes danger to other road users when driving (and probably when cycling).
That last episode was on a straight road and runner as stated was travelling same direction as me -- nothing to do with walking in the opposite direction to traffic. So I overtook him on the complete opposite side of the road since I could see no traffic coming.

I always slow down going around a left hand ( blind bend ) especially if there's a high bank and thus nowhere for a walker to go if facing an oncoming car. Not everyone respects this danger though so what I'm IMPLYING is that walking this was is very dangerous. Even the highway code advises to cross over to the outside of the bend before the bend and then cross back to the side facing traffic.

It can't be much clearer than that -- you are just on a car driver hate rant. Calm down.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Even the highway code advises to cross over to the outside of the bend before the bend and then cross back to the side facing traffic.
It does but it strikes me as being often impractical. On a typically twisty country lane you will be frequently crossing the road, often between two blind bends, and always with - by definition - at least one blind bend close ahead.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 2:05pm
Even the highway code advises to cross over to the outside of the bend before the bend and then cross back to the side facing traffic.
It does but it strikes me as being often impractical. On a typically twisty country lane you will be frequently crossing the road, often between two blind bends, and always with - by definition - at least one blind bend close ahead.
Which is precisely why the HC uses the phrase (as tc pointed out) "may be safer": Because there are times (as pointed out here) when repeated crossing of the road is less safe than continueing around the bend.

And Cowsham, as a car driver, I am certainly not into car hate rants; just rants against unsafe, entitled drivers who think it is other people's responsibility to reduce the hazard brought into being by the use of cars. There is far more of that shown on today's roads (and forums) than there is of people carelessly hazarding themselves. Your posts are just another tiny symptom of a selfish culture where people believe it is ok to blame others for the danger they are putting thpse others into.

Try just driving safely, as the HC tells you that you MUST. Worry about the danger you bring, and ensure that is minimised.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

AlaninWales wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 2:32pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 2:05pm
Which is precisely why the HC uses the phrase (as tc pointed out) "may be safer": Because there are times (as pointed out here) when repeated crossing of the road is less safe than continueing around the bend.

And Cowsham, as a car driver, I am certainly not into car hate rants; just rants against unsafe, entitled drivers who think it is other people's responsibility to reduce the hazard brought into being by the use of cars. There is far more of that shown on today's roads (and forums) than there is of people carelessly hazarding themselves. Your posts are just another tiny symptom of a selfish culture where people believe it is ok to blame others for the danger they are putting thpse others into.

Try just driving safely, as the HC tells you that you MUST. Worry about the danger you bring, and ensure that is minimised.

Well that's me told off.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Noticed a lot more people out walking on the roads this time of year especially as the weather has got a bit milder. The problem is that they are in pitch darkness with no lights and only dark or black clothing. Spotted one this morning while cycling into work and told her as I cycled past she is hard to spot especially against oncoming car Headlamps.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

My wife remarked this morning that there is a fashion for dull, "natural" colours at present. Seems like an excellent way for the fashionable to cull themselves.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Audax67 wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 2:12pm My wife remarked this morning that there is a fashion for dull, "natural" colours at present. Seems like an excellent way for the fashionable to cull themselves.
People have always tended to black/grey for their winter coats (apart from cyclists+hikers!). This isn't new!

(It's actually pretty practical - my favourite fuscia frock coat needed dry-cleaning twice a week in winter :( )
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Where I live in Spain, I find the vast majority of drivers to be more aware of cyclists than their counterparts in the UK. Its not unusual to find oneself in a line of vehicles proceeding at a stately pace behind a cyclist or group of cyclists, overtaking once the road ahead allows. I hardly ever hear beeping of horns or screeching of brakes. Everyone seems to co-exist reasonably well. That’s not to say that idiot road users don’t exist here, but in general, all seem to be a lot more tolerant. Must be the weather, or more likely, the pace of life and respect for others.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's still drivers' responsibilty to account for these road situations.

Or you'd creep around the bend anticipating someone walking on your side of the road then another car traveling at speed would hit the rear of yours collecting the walker along with whatever is oncoming on the other side.

People need to be taught how to cross the road early enough to be on the outside of a bend and visible.
No - because the following car should also be driving at a speed appropriate to the distance they can see to be clear (i.e. slow)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 20 Feb 2023, 5:54pm

Or you'd creep around the bend anticipating someone walking on your side of the road then another car traveling at speed would hit the rear of yours collecting the walker along with whatever is oncoming on the other side.

People need to be taught how to cross the road early enough to be on the outside of a bend and visible.
No - because the following car should also be driving at a speed appropriate to the distance they can see to be clear (i.e. slow)
It doesn't matter who should be doing what or who's right or who's wrong putting yourself in that much danger willingly or knowingly or unknowingly will still mean the most vulnerable will end up being worst off.

You wouldn't walk along a crumbling cliff edge path because the council should be fixing it. People are still human and born to make mistakes. If someone is hard to see at night walking along the road where there's no footpath I will let them know and often do. I have no problem with it and don't care if I offend them -- they need to know just in case they don't know or at at future time have an encounter with someone who should be more careful or should be more observant but for whatever reason in that split second --- isn't.

I try to minimize the risks for myself and others wherever I can. In life you fix or check what you can because bad accidents are usually a combination of two or three things that are or have went wrong.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The onus is not on the person walking. It's on the person operating dangerous machinery.

If I am driving on a windy, single-track lane, it's on me to go at a speed where I can see & avoid walkers, cyclists, pedestrians, deer, stray dogs, or whatever else I may encounter. Even if that means going 10 mph.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom