What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: What Has Made You Laugh Today ?

Post by Mick F »

Doors ................

Toilet doors, in particular.
Why do loo doors from shops/pubs/etc open with a push?
So, when you've done your business in there and washed your hands, do the door to get out have to be pulled inwards using the handle?
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 7:48pm Doors ................

So, when you've done your business in there and washed your hands, do the door to get out have to be pulled inwards using the handle?
I have always ( even pre covid ) avoided the hand dryers after washing in favor of toilet paper or similar if available cos you can use it as a barrier between your hand and the door handle so you don't have to touch someone else's pish. ( after you've dried your hands with same of course -- reuse recycle )

( as a side note covid was spread by hand dryers -- I told this to the boss and all dryers in the factory have been disconnected for two years now )
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

oneglove wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 6:03pm Here On Windermere, I saw two ducks coordinate their mating ritual and Seal the good deed after 4 seconds. The glory of life and a quarter of whole meal crust for subsistence and preen.
Was one blue and one black?
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The same reason almost all doors into rooms and buildings open inwards,external doors open inward so a wind can't get a hold of them and cause damage either to people or the door itself,it's then carried through internally,push to enter pull to exit.Corridors are a classic example,doors opening onto a corridor are potentially unsafe as someone could be passing carrying food hot drinks,etc when someone else is exiting a room off the corridor.
Obviously there are exceptions of course,there always is.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cowsham wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 8:01pm ........( as a side note covid was spread by hand dryers -- I told this to the boss and all dryers in the factory have been disconnected for two years now )
Something that hadn't heard of bfore and hadn't occured to me but logical when you think about it.
Thanks for the heads up.
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Why do germs in lavatories make anybody laugh?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 9:33am Why do germs in lavatories make anybody laugh?
Do they?
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suppose they may have mistakenly thought they were on the "What does your head in?" thread
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 8:55am

The same reason almost all doors into rooms and buildings open inwards,external doors open inward so a wind can't get a hold of them and cause damage either to people or the door itself,it's then carried through internally,push to enter pull to exit.Corridors are a classic example,doors opening onto a corridor are potentially unsafe as someone could be passing carrying food hot drinks,etc when someone else is exiting a room off the corridor.
Why can't loo doors open both ways with a push?

The Queens Head up the road from here has recently been modernised. New loos for one thing.
Leave the bar area and push the door into the corridor leading to the ladies and gents.
The gents door is pulled to open, and after doing your business and washing and drying hands, you can push the door open to get out ....................... but to enter the bar area, you have to get hold of the handle to open the door.
Goodness knows who the unwashed - man or woman - last held that handle! :shock:

I can understand to a degree, because a pushed-open door could hit someone in the bar drinking!
Mick F. Cornwall
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

reohn2 wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 8:55am The same reason almost all doors into rooms and buildings open inwards,external doors open inward so a wind can't get a hold of them and cause damage either to people or the door itself,it's then carried through internally,push to enter pull to exit.Corridors are a classic example,doors opening onto a corridor are potentially unsafe as someone could be passing carrying food hot drinks,etc when someone else is exiting a room off the corridor.
I used to work in a set of buildings that had been designed the other way: all the doors, internal and external, opened 'out' towards the nearest route out. The idea was to shave off a few seconds when the building needed to be evacuated. (Several of the buildings were full of chemists so evacuations were presumably considered likely.)

Back on topic, what made me laugh today was seeing yet another YouTwitFace ad for a certain brand of waterproof sock. Clearly it has been noted that I visited their site last week; they don't cater for my size, but the not-quite-well-enough-targeted ads still soldier on in all their synthetic optimism. :)
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Re germs in pubs, Mrs thirdcrank used to work as a trainer for Age Concern, in the days when that charity's concerns included providing a really high standard of training. She obtained several qualifications including the highest standard in food hygiene. Needless to say, I learned quite a bit from her homework and one factoid was that snacks on pub bars - eg bowls of salted peanuts to make patrons even thirstier - were known to be breeding grounds for bacteria. It's not made me laugh, today or when I first heard it, but I don't seem to see them anymore. Perhaps it's something to do with pubs now displaying food hygiene certificates.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 4:44pm Re germs in pubs, Mrs thirdcrank used to work as a trainer for Age Concern, in the days when that charity's concerns included providing a really high standard of training. She obtained several qualifications including the highest standard in food hygiene. Needless to say, I learned quite a bit from her homework and one factoid was that snacks on pub bars - eg bowls of salted peanuts to make patrons even thirstier - were known to be breeding grounds for bacteria. It's not made me laugh, today or when I first heard it, but I don't seem to see them anymore. Perhaps it's something to do with pubs now displaying food hygiene certificates.
It's not so much that they're breeding grounds, it's that several/ many people put their hands into them. One person's contaminated hands can then affect many other consumers.

It's often connected to poor hand hygiene after using toilets. It's not the average that matters... it's the worst.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 20 Jan 2022, 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 7:48pmToilet doors, in particular.
Yes, it's a problem

Much better to have automated doors or no doors at all, as in most motorway service stations and airports.

Of course we're now used to hand sanitising stuff being available just after you leave the area. It will be interesting to see if that persists.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I fear I'm increasingly failing to make myself clear. As the discussion was about people emerging from pub lavatories, I wrongly assumed that people would make the connection with dirty mitts and bar snacks without spelling it out.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Our GP is off on long term sick leave, or so we all thought. I told Swmbo that he would have been the ideal volunteer at the village coffee shop. Xtra cream with your coffee madam, no problem.
https://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk ... n-cup-tea/
Apologies if I've offended anyone. It's not really a laughing matter.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D