Best Brake Blocks for rim brakes

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
MikeDee

Re: Best Brake Blocks for rim brakes

Post by MikeDee »

MikeDee wrote:I've used Shimano, Kool Stop, and Tektro pads. Kool Stops are the best in terms of needing the lightest hand force at the lever. Shimanos are not quite as good in term of braking power, but wear longer and squeal less. Tektros have poor braking power. I did a tour last year in Humboldt County, CA, which had very steep and poor roads including dirt, so I had to do a lot of braking. The Kool Stop pads were excellent.

Well, I can no longer recommend Shimano brake pads. They pick up aluminum bits from the rim. Kool Stops for me from now on:

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yep those look like a typical wet day's outing with Shimano V brake pads :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Keezx wrote:
Water+Soap is IMO pretty useless for cleaning rims and pads.
I always use brake cleaner (which is likely a strong sovent) on a cloth and take the wheel out to get good access to the pads.
1 Wipe and the cloth is black , proves that it's working.
ry.

Maybe I'm making life hard for myself but i use washing up liquid in a hot/warm water solution. Seems to work well enough.

Other suggestions welcome.
Sweep
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've swapped out my pads to Kool Stop Salmon, cleaned my rims, replaced cables (inners and outers) and first impressions are that braking has improved.

I've got a long ride with 13,000 feet of climbing (and descending) next week so they'll get a proper test then

Thanks for all the advice :D
sighnbox

Post by sighnbox »

I've done Simon Warren's 100 climb challenge and have done all Devon and Cornwall from the Another 100 climbs challenge as well . Ive all ways had great braking Scotland, Lakes, Wales etc etc but decided to go Swiss Stop after fitting I found the hills in that area (Devon, Cornwall) to be some the hardest in the country to slow down on Countisbury was ok but Porlock is brutal and Talland end at Polpero I couldn't stop on .......I was on Swiss Stop blue BXP Ive now taken them out and put shimano back in but still braking isn't great .......

Ive cleaned the rims etc but not great so interested to find out 4 years later how mnichols got on with the Kool stop salmon ??? as I'm now considering them as I need to be able to stop especially having another 70 climbs from the 2nd lot and now the new 100 climbs X list to get through.