slicks for MTB

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
robing

slicks for MTB

Post by robing »

Any recommendations for puncture proof MTB tyres? I don't go off road. A few years ago I ditched the knobbly chunky tyres for Schwalbe City Jets which are nice and light and smooth running. But lately I have been getting loads of punctures on the local Redway cycleways. So I am looking for some suitable replacements that offer a good level of puncture protection.

Everyone seems to say Marathon Plus, but the thread below on Marathons has put me off a bit.
Eyebrox

Re: slicks for MTB

Post by Eyebrox »

Kojaks £17.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Marathon Greenguard have given good service for me - tough and surprisingly fast.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What does slick mean in this context, please?

Are Marathon Plus or Marathon Greenguard slick?

Thanks

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you really mean slick, then Marathon Supremes are well respected in this forum. I use them on my 26" touring bike for use at home and abroad. Not cheap, but I am very pleased with them.

They are a lightweight tyre, but very good puncture protection.

As an aside, if your tyres are NOW getting punctures, it may be because they are worn. A simple replacement might be enough to stave off the punctures.
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

I've used Schwalbe Duranos and Continental Sport Contacts (now replaced by Contact Speed) in 26" diameter on my commuting bike for some years now and have had decent results, and they are not too heavy, stiff or slow like e.g. Schwalbe Marathons.

I still check the treads for sharp glass/stones periodically though.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I like Marathon Supremes too and use them on two bikes because they give a nice comfy ride and I only get a few punctures, may be one a year (I don't record mileage). They work well or OK on most surfaces apart from wet mud. It looked as if they have been discontinued but I am not sure if this is the case or not.
robing

Post by robing »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 10:54am What does slick mean in this context, please?

Are Marathon Plus or Marathon Greenguard slick?

Thanks

Jonathan
Good point. Really I mean road or touring tyres - as opposed to the knobbly MTB tyres it came with. It's an old bike - 1995 and steel so heavy. I changed the original knobblies for Schwalbe City Jets 26x1.5" and it really transformed it into a much faster ride. But I seem to be getting more punctures now. City Jets are only 3/7 on Schwalbe's puncture protection guide.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

: - )

Jonathan
robing

Post by robing »

simonhill wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 11:30am As an aside, if your tyres are NOW getting punctures, it may be because they are worn. A simple replacement might be enough to stave off the punctures.
Yes, quite possibly. The City Jets have been a great improvement on the original knobbly MTB tyres, but I seem to be getting a lot more punctures lately. They may be getting worn but I'm also doing a lot more cycling on the Redways of Milton Keynes which have a lot of glass around.

The City Jets were 1.5" - SJS do some cheapie Schwalbe Marathon Plus but they are 1.35". Would that be too narrow for a 20kg MTB?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-large ... nch-35559/
I did see some tyres in Wilko but they were very heavy.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

rotavator wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 4:50pm I like Marathon Supremes too and use them on two bikes because they give a nice comfy ride and I only get a few punctures, may be one a year (I don't record mileage). They work well or OK on most surfaces apart from wet mud. It looked as if they have been discontinued but I am not sure if this is the case or not.
Just had a quick look, Spa and SJS both have them in 26" and Spa in 700. Last time I looked seriously, a few other suppliers also had them.

I've had one stored for a couple of years now. Thought I would be replacing the rear, but a combination of no serious touring and that they go on and on means it is still unused. Very impressed with how long they last.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I use wiggle commuter 26" tyres.

Not the lightest but certainly cheap and so far puncture resistant.....

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essen ... er-26-tyre

Cheers James
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Panaracer Gravel Kings have surprised me with their all round quality. They feel smooth and fast rolling on the road, and also good on the rougher stuff.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Marathon Greenguards are basically slick, but with enough grooves to be OK on mud and tough enough for unsurfaced tracks.
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

I switched to these yesterday and they are (so far!) great for cycling on roads, and pretty cheap @ £13 each. I wouldn't want to take them offroad anywhere serious however: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/city5-pro ... mc=8350611

I also saw these @ £20 a pop and they looked absolutely bomb proof, plus extremely thick treads but were very heavy: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/trekking- ... mc=8386951