Keeping clean/showering when free camping?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Keeping clean/showering when free camping?

Post by Sweep »

Kind of self explanatory really.

Top tips please.

(declaration - pondered this when sorting solutions to a recent short-term domestic boiler breakdown. Have freecamped a fair bit (tents/bivi bags) but not for long enough to become a real issue)
Sweep
rotavator

Re: Keeping clean/showering when free camping?

Post by rotavator »

Sorry to state the obvious, but if you can find a secluded spot near a river or lake then you just jump in, assuming that it is safe etc. However if you want to use soap or shampoo it is better to carry some water well away from the water course to avoid pollution.
millimole

Post by millimole »

There's a previous thread called "Map Showing Public Showers in UK?" which covers similar ground.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

You don’t need a shower :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Suppose it's quite useful to have an assertive manner. Just walk onto a larger campsite, head to the toilet/shower block, have a shower, perhaps a shave and then depart. It's important to ensure you don't try it on an owner occupied/attached to farmhouse type site and obviously have the small towel, discreetly rolled up in a carrier bag.

Whilst obviously issuing a positive smile and "hello, isn't it lovely" comment to those passing by, while bending down to pat the cat :wink: Suppose I've been challenged once in the past three years, needed the toilet passing through Hawes, North Yorkshire
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

gbnz wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 9:30pm Suppose it's quite useful to have an assertive manner. Just walk onto a larger campsite, head to the toilet/shower block, have a shower, perhaps a shave and then depart. It's important to ensure you don't try it on an owner occupied/attached to farmhouse type site and obviously have the small towel, discreetly rolled up in a carrier bag.

Whilst obviously issuing a positive smile and "hello, isn't it lovely" comment to those passing by, while bending down to pat the cat :wink: Suppose I've been challenged once in the past three years, needed the toilet passing through Hawes, North Yorkshire
not entirely sure how serious you are/whether you've done this much to be honest.

I suppose that if the showers are paid for/coin in slot, this is less of an issue.
Sweep
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I tended to do 2-5 long days cycle while free camping.
Then a short day, so stopping just after lunch at campsite.
This let me have a shower and wash any kit that needed it in the "free" hot water.
Plus charge up any cache battery as needed.

luck ........... :D
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Sweep wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 10:11pm

not entirely sure how serious you are/whether you've done this much to be honest.

Of course I've done it. Last visit/shower was at the Camping and Caravan site at Keswick. It's no different to ensuring people get out of your way on a pavement
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you think you are going to end up not having any access to proper washing facilities for a while, resorting to a "bits and pits" wash is a reasonable second best approach. But to do that you need to manage water, and I suggest a big sponge (car wash type) and plastic bowl might make things easier, along with a water container that can take a couple of litres. Then all you need is a soap of your choice, some clean water, and privacy.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gbnz wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 9:30pm Suppose it's quite useful to have an assertive manner. Just walk onto a larger campsite, head to the toilet/shower block, have a shower, perhaps a shave and then depart. It's important to ensure you don't try it on an owner occupied/attached to farmhouse type site and obviously have the small towel, discreetly rolled up in a carrier bag.

I suppose that if the showers are paid for/coin in slot, this is less of an issue.
I've done it a few times, though years ago & in the USA.

Now, I'd just ask first. Offer to pay for it. Most people will refuse the money & let you shower. If not, try at the next place. Or another day down the road.

I tend to pay to pitch every few days, for the facilities, so I can shower, wash clothes, etc.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
sjs

Post by sjs »

gbnz wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 6:53am

Of course I've done it. Last visit/shower was at the Camping and Caravan site at Keswick. It's no different to ensuring people get out of your way on a pavement
I suppose the less showering you do the more likely people are to get out of your way on a pavement.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Obviously you are aware that theft is a crime?
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Sweep wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 7:39pm Kind of self explanatory really.

Top tips please.

(declaration - pondered this when sorting solutions to a recent short-term domestic boiler breakdown. Have freecamped a fair bit (tents/bivi bags) but not for long enough to become a real issue)
Any decent Outdoor retailer can sell you Biodegradable 'wet wipes' which are large enough for an 'in tent' clean. Finding a real toilet is obviously a bonus at times. Wild Camping is supposed to be 'wild'...
A previous thread talked about human waste and what to do with it whilst 'Wild Camping'. I did not make any comment at that time. So here it is. Please read and absorb.
Country Code, outdoor practice states bury human waste, take paper waste (yes) in a poly bag and dispose of in a sanitary place. Please do not bury toilet paper.
There were a number of people whose attitude was and most likely still is, 'ignore the rules and do what you like'. This I think is a typical response of those of lesser intelligence who do not actually Wild Camp.
I can hardly cycle anymore, but I have a Triumph Bonneville motorcycle. I am intending/hoping to go up to Scotland in a few months. Wild Camping is not an offence. I shall be hopefully making the most of it.
Happy days and Happy New year to all!
PH

Post by PH »

A flannel wash is fine for a few days, I carry some liquid soap which is usable for body/hair/dishes and clothing, but if there's no easy water supply for a good rinse I use plain water, it doesn't need a lot. Instead of a cloth flannel, I'll use J-clothes, multi purpose, light and disposable.
The idea of a daily shower is a modern concept, the weekly bath was the norm when I was a kid, everyone seemed to manage.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

There's a network of free to use showers on the canal network - map of locations here https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-th ... nd-showers . You need a key which can be purchased from the Canal and River Trust or on Ebay - search for BWB key.
I use these facilities and also make an annual donation to the Canal and River Trust which runs them. If you're a tight ******* you can just use for the cost of the key though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker