My new purchase.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rjb

My new purchase.

Post by rjb »

Bought today from Facebook marketplace. Something which will fit my grandson by the summer. When I asked the vendor if he noticed the twitchy steering he said it felt ok but the toe overlap meant is was only suitable for a small rider. :shock:
Fortunately I will have some time to get everything sorted and shipshape. :D
Carrera subway
Carrera subway
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
cycleruk

Re: My new purchase.

Post by cycleruk »

I wonder if it was originally bought like that. :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

It's not even slightly new either, even though it looks as if it's hardly been ridden (mind you, no wonder!) - that Carrera font was phased out in 2013.

It all stems (sorry!) from bikes being delivered in their boxes with the front wheel and bars off and the stem turned the wrong way round to fit in the box - the way they're all delivered, I think - the *mistake* being to turn the fork the wrong way round so that the stem faces the right way!

I've mentioned this before but there's a Subway identical to one of mine that's been running around Ayr for years like that (presumably since it was new!) - the owner has even turned the front tyre round so that the tread is facing the right way even though the wheel isn't! :lol: Hope you got a bargain, anyway - looks like a good buy - nothing a bit of fundamental basic intelligence can't sort. :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

Not unusual, unfortunately, for the reasons outlined above. I have also seen several bikes with the forks have been turned the right way but the brake cable has spiralled round 360 degrees to follow it. :shock:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

rjb wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 3:53pm Bought today from Facebook marketplace. Something which will fit my grandson by the summer. When I asked the vendor if he noticed the twitchy steering he said it felt ok but the toe overlap meant is was only suitable for a small rider. :shock:

IMG_20220119_154227.jpg
I thought that the dogma on this site was that if you reduce the fork offset, you increase stability and reduce twitchiness ! ? :lol:
bgnukem

Post by bgnukem »

Yes, reversed forks = more trail, so more stable no?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

bgnukem wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 1:31pm Yes, reversed forks = more trail, so more stable no?
No
I am here. Where are you?
pwa

Post by pwa »

rjb wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 3:53pm Bought today from Facebook marketplace. Something which will fit my grandson by the summer. When I asked the vendor if he noticed the twitchy steering he said it felt ok but the toe overlap meant is was only suitable for a small rider. :shock:

IMG_20220119_154227.jpg
A two minute job with a couple of allen keys :lol:
If the vendor didn't notice that, you wonder what else might need checking. But it looks like a great bike. Or it will do when you have done what you need to do.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

DO NOT RIDE IT! It's obviously been in a head on collision. :D
asinus

Post by asinus »

The giveaway is that the disc brake is on the right - all it needs is the stem turned through 180 degrees - no reason to assume a prang.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

iandusud wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 9:12am DO NOT RIDE IT! It's obviously been in a head on collision. :D
My initial reaction also......until I,d read the full posts when it becomes obvious what the problem is. :|
scottg

Post by scottg »

bgnukem wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 1:31pm Yes, reversed forks = more trail, so more stable no?
Nope, more aero........
stayer.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

C'mon, 'fess up, you've bought iit to do this, haven't you?

https://youtu.be/l29l7gx70CI
rjb

Post by rjb »

:D :shock: :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I suppose that curved forks would help someone like that to figure out the correct orientation.