Orientation of QR lever with a disk brake

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TheBomber

Orientation of QR lever with a disk brake

Post by TheBomber »

Mrs Bomber has just received a new bike and the manual supplied is adamant that the front quick release lever should be on the left side, which places it alongside the disk rotor. I can think of good reasons why it should be placed on the right - all based on keeping hands away from the rotor - but none for placing the lever on the left. Anybody able to suggest why the bike includes this instruction?
Jdsk

Re: Orientation of QR lever with a disk brake

Post by Jdsk »

Previous discussion, including Brucey's thoughts:
viewtopic.php?p=1541051

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I did away with QR skewers long ago in favour of these:- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/ ... kewer-set/
No chance of a lever flicking open and less chance of wheels being stolen if the bike's left unattended.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 9:33pm Previous discussion, including Brucey's thoughts:
Thanks Jonathan; I should have found that one without assistance. However, I still don’t see anything in there that tells me why it should be on the left. Unless we include ‘The Rules’. If anything it further confirms my 15 years of experience of keeping the lever on the right when there is a disk rotor present. I’ll check with the manufacturer and see what they say.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

Your rear QR is going to be on the disk side, so why not the front?

With modern threaded through axles you don't get to choose!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

One possible reason is that if the QR isn't tight enough, braking can force the disc end of the axle downwards in the dropout, after which your weight pushes the axle back up when you stop braking. If the adjuster nut is at the disc end, the back and forth movement can cause it to loosen further, which could in the end lead to it popping over the top of the lawyer lips, and the wheel coming out of the dropouts.

On the other hand, there was a product recall from Trek (iirc) a few years ago, about a QR that could be closed far enough for the end of the lever to get in amongst the rotor spokes.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

But why not on the left? The idea that it (or hands )needs to be away from the discs is twaddle.You have to drag them a long way before they are too hot to touch and even then they cool quickly.Unless you regularly do a tricky 3 miles descent and have to stop and get the wheel out instantly I fail to see a problem.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Thanks for your thoughts Matt - but that still looks like an explanation of why it doesn’t matter to you which way round you fit the QR, rather than why it must be fitted with the lever on the left.
andrew_s wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 12:43am One possible reason is that if the QR isn't tight enough, braking can force the disc end of the axle downwards in the dropout
Hmm… clamping force should be even at both ends of the skewer. But what if it isn’t? I’ve known skewers become sticky inside the axle so I suppose a poorly maintained one could seize. This description could apply then. Even though the lever feels tight, the other end doesn’t have sufficient clamping force.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Why? Because there is no reason not to and Qr's have always been fitted to the left. Same reason we get on ahorse from the left. It works so why change it?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mattsccm wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 4:57pm Why? Because there is no reason not to and Qr's have always been fitted to the left. Same reason we get on ahorse from the left. It works so why change it?
and of course q/r levers are handed for use on the left (maybe those Ringle stick things are ambidextrous), the whole action of the levers is optimised for l/h use.

I get around the issue on my disc bike - locking skewers - no lever to get in the way or come lose and a modicum of security too!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
RickH

Post by RickH »

tenbikes wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 8:04pm Your rear QR is going to be on the disk side, so why not the front?

With modern threaded through axles you don't get to choose!
I run both on the right as there is more space to get fingers behind the lever to release it (I try to avoid having the levers along frame tubes), rather than any potential harm from the discs. Also the callipers & mounts reduce the options for where you can tuck the lever out of the way. I've not found getting oil on the rear QR to be a problem. S'cuse the grubby bike!
Front QR
Front QR
Rear QR
Rear QR
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

But they look so wrong!
Rear under the chain stay and front neatly up the side.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

I’ve yet to have a qr loosen on a disc brakes bike. Been using discs for 19 years.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Blondie wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 6:38pm I’ve yet to have a qr loosen on a disc brakes bike. Been using discs for 19 years.
I've had it happen twice in 15 years,once when bikes were stacked outside a cafe and once when I leaned my bike on a wire fence.
Luckily it was spotted on both occasions.

After that I decided the qr function wasn't needed as I don't race so don't need fast wheel changes,and in the event of a pucture allen key wheel removal/fitting isn't that slow with the multitool I always carry anyway.
So I equiped my bikes with Halo hexbolt skewers which were a better alternative,no chance of accidental opening,less chance of a wheel being stolen if the bike's left unattended.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 9:58am
Blondie wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 6:38pm I’ve yet to have a qr loosen on a disc brakes bike. Been using discs for 19 years.
I've had it happen twice in 15 years,once when bikes were stacked outside a cafe and once when I leaned my bike on a wire fence.
Luckily it was spotted on both occasions.

After that I decided the qr function wasn't needed as I don't race so don't need fast wheel changes,and in the event of a pucture allen key wheel removal/fitting isn't that slow with the multitool I always carry anyway.
So I equiped my bikes with Halo hexbolt skewers which were a better alternative,no chance of accidental opening,less chance of a wheel being stolen if the bike's left unattended.
All of which is about catching the lever and not orientation left or right. You just have to mindful if your bike is tangled up, or in a situation where it’s a possibility