Petty annoyances on the road....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
scragend

Re: Petty annoyances on the road....

Post by scragend »

Cowsham wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 9:58am You should've pulled in and that generously proportioned, bubbly / curvy but easily offended lady get past you.
Did you just assume the gender of the pedestrian?! Careful, you might be cancelled :shock:
scragend

Post by scragend »

sjs wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 9:40am Exactly. There is a school of thought on here that anything closer than an overtake in the opposite lane is bad. There now appears to be another (possibly not completely separate) school which finds any kind of hesitation in overtaking an annoyance.
I think you've leapt ahead a bit there. I didn't see anyone refer to "any kind of hesitation in overtaking", but more to "excessive hesitation in overtaking". I don't mind if someone takes a few seconds to establish the situation, but needlessly sitting behind on a wide, straight road is unnecessary.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

scragend wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 11:01am
Cowsham wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 9:58am You should've pulled in and that generously proportioned, bubbly / curvy but easily offended lady get past you.
Did you just assume the gender of the pedestrian?! Careful, you might be cancelled :shock:
You're right -- my bad -- could be female that doesn't want to be identified as a woman or a male who does. Confused? -- you should be.
I am here. Where are you?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 2:38pm
Traction_man wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 1:14pm
Manc33 wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 4:38am Cars that won't go past me when "you could fit a bus through there". Have they knocked a cyclist off in the past? Are they drunk? I don't trust these people! I'm not saying cars should take risks and pass too close, I am saying there's endless instances on really wide roads where they still won't go past me. Get real! GO. PAST. ME.
I'd rather have a cautious driver behind me waiting for a safe overtake, as long as they're not right on my tail. A road may well be wide enough to pass by safely but what's the road ahead like, I agree if it's straight and clear why not overtake, but if there's doubt then it's wise to wait.

In my experience as driver and cyclist, it's always, if in doubt don't.
Such reluctant overtakers make me nervous, I am uneasily aware of their prescence, and fear that they will run out of patience (often in short supply behind the wheel), and choose a poor opportunity.
I've found things a lot worse on my bent (trike), cars often far more reluctant to pass even with plenty of room on a straight clear road. Frustrating as I've moved over, now riding close to the side, left front wheel bouncing around in the potholes, bad drains and muck. But I temper my frustration as I'd prefer they err to caution than err to risk. Caution might make me uncomfortable but risk can have far more serious impact on me (when they get it wrong).

Ian
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Psamathe wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 12:18pmCaution might make me uncomfortable but risk can have far more serious impact on me (when they get it wrong).
Fair point.

But, as previous posters have pointed out, both of the above can be a result of poor judgement on the part of the driver behind you, and therefore a legitimate cause for concern.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Manc33 wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 4:38am Cars that won't go past me when "you could fit a bus through there". Have they knocked a cyclist off in the past? Are they drunk? I don't trust these people! I'm not saying cars should take risks and pass too close, I am saying there's endless instances on really wide roads where they still won't go past me. Get real! GO. PAST. ME.
Personally I take control of the situation and when a convenient lay by or field entrance appears, I pull over into it. I'd much rather have motorists waiting behind me, than have then try and attempt to overtake me, especially if there is another car behind them.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I've lost <i>[rude word removed]</i> of the number of times I've pulled into a driveway to allow a slowly following car to overtake only to find that it was going slowly in order to enter that very driveway. :D
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

Doesn't bother me at all if a driver is reluctant to overtake. Once I rode for about two miles in the fog down a Cheshire country road, with a 'reluctant overtaker' on my tail. I was quite happy that my rear end was being protected from any other motorist that might have been travelling too fast for the conditions.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

rude word removed]
Is count a rude word -or am I a bad spella
RickH

Post by RickH »

Grandad wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 1:29pm
rude word removed]
Is count a rude word -or am I a bad spella
I suspect you mis-typed & left a letter out!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Seems like it's hedge cutting time again here -- but why can't the thorns and bits of branch be scooted into the field instead of all over the road / cycle/footpath ?
I am here. Where are you?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cowsham wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 1:35pm Seems like it's hedge cutting time again here -- but why can't the thorns and bits of branch be scooted into the field instead of all over the road / cycle/footpath ?
They've gone mad round me. Cutting hedges everywhere and leaving debris all over the road incl. branches 1+" diam. which I would not want to scrape down the side of my car and I've steer to avoid (in car). No effort to clear roads after mess everywhere. I assume it's some contractors giving a "good deal" to all farms as they can run efficiently in a blitz of the area.

Except I don't call steering all over the road aviding significant branches a "petty annoyance". I would stop and report to Highways but it's cold and by the time Highways inspect it will be weeks and enough rain to lower the problem ...

Ian
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Psamathe wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 4:43pm
Cowsham wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 1:35pm Seems like it's hedge cutting time again here -- but why can't the thorns and bits of branch be scooted into the field instead of all over the road / cycle/footpath ?
They've gone mad round me. Cutting hedges everywhere and leaving debris all over the road incl. branches 1+" diam. which I would not want to scrape down the side of my car and I've steer to avoid (in car). No effort to clear roads after mess everywhere.
I would stop and report to Highways but it's cold and by the time Highways inspect it will be weeks and enough rain to lower the problem ...

Ian
Speaking as some who used to staff the phones for the local council's Road complaint phones, please report it and if you have the time, seen in pictures.

The landowners will be contacted and if the job was carried out on behalf of the council by a contractor then the contractor will be contacted and they may even face penalties.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side