What key do I need for this bolt

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
xomuz

Re: What key do I need for this bolt

Post by xomuz »

Thank you for all your replies!
I would like to add that this is a brand new bike and both allen key and torx key unscrewing it but it is not a confident grip
It's quite shocking that brand new bike comes with damaged screw cap
gaz

Post by gaz »

xomuz wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 8:26pm... this is a brand new bike ...
Which will ideally mean that this is an issue for the retailer to deal with.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

Another option would be a small pair of stilsons. They grip harder as you apply more torque, where mole grips tend to apply the same grip as you twist them. The stilsons will serate the outer of the bolt head, but it needs throwing away anyway. One issue can be having enough access to the head of the bolt.

Found these which may be suitable (not cheap, but good tools never are)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-record ... h-10/1279k

edit: add link
Last edited by Tompsk on 22 Jan 2022, 4:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Irwin vice grips, 5WR.
Whatever you do don't buy any other brands!
The rubber grip handles make them more comfortable to use though not a necessity.
This jaw shape is the most useful.
Attachments
03B62844-3E94-4E46-8DF0-14AFD8451D65.jpeg
1C7AA08D-3B5E-42AD-965F-4F976F9AA01E.png
1C7AA08D-3B5E-42AD-965F-4F976F9AA01E.png (82.45 KiB) Viewed 587 times
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
drossall

Post by drossall »

UpWrong wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 9:37am I have used this successfully https://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-bolt-e ... eces/2951v
I've used these with success in similar situations. Really easy solution. Definitely worth a try.
hufty

Post by hufty »

Yet another useful tool might be a pair of Neji-saurus screw extracting pliers
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000W9IV82
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NBSVYOY
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
hemo

Post by hemo »

Now we know it's a new bike, then take it back under warranty to get sorted.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

hemo wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 12:54pm Now we know it's a new bike, then take it back under warranty to get sorted.
+1
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

If it’s under warranty and that bolt is going into the frame (flat mount?). I’d definitely want to be 100% the threads in the frame are not damaged as well.

Definitely a job for the warranty.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just a note on lingo. A warranty is a loose term usually referring to what the manufacturer advertises (often with a tiny proviso saying it doesn't affect your statutory rights.) A bike shop may try to say that the issue is between you and the manufacturer and in some cases, a decent response from the manufacturer may be great but those unaffected statutory rights are against the vendor if you bought it new recently. The longer you have had it, the harder it may be to prove it was delivered like that.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Whatever it was, it looks mangled and having the right tool may no longer help. If it has to come out, it may need the filing of two parallel flats so that a small adjustable spanner can get a grip on it.
gom

Post by gom »

pwa wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 4:58am Whatever it was, it looks mangled and having the right tool may no longer help. If it has to come out, it may need the filing of two parallel flats so that a small adjustable spanner can get a grip on it.
This worked for me a few months ago. The bottom bolts fixing the rear rack had been there for the lifetime of the bike, about 10 years. Using a hex key had just damaged the bolt head. After using WD40 and penetrating oil, I tired this method. It worked a charm.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

if its well and truly jammed, and the warranty says NO, mole grips, hack-sawing a slot, filling flats have have all failed, and you have to resort to the 'screw extractors' get some left hand twist drills for the pilot hole, it makes a huge difference, may very well come out while drilling the hole.
Cyckelgalen

Post by Cyckelgalen »

I would use vice grips or any tool that you can apply around the head rather than cutting a slot and use a screwdriver. Cutting a slot, depending on the quality of the material, may weaken and the bolt head resulting in bits braking off and an even more difficult extraction.

This bolt is far too mangled for that, but one trick that works for me with stubborn bolts like these is applying torque with the allen or torx key and, at the same time, tapping the key repeatedly with a light hammer. The vibrations help to undo the bolt without having to overdo with the key and possibly damage the head.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Don't use anything from 'silverline' total garbage!