"Build" my commuter for me.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Carlton green

Re: "Build" my commuter for me.

Post by Carlton green »

Jupestar wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 7:57am
Carlton green wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 12:19am The Sturmey three speed has been mentioned. They are not close ratio and their overall range is limited but they are reliable and by picking the overall ratio wisely they make a good commuter.
Interested in how these ride. I’ve been tempted to try either the 2 or 3 speed SA. But been a bit put off going further into IGH by the feel of the Alfine.

The only thing which has stopped me pushing ‘go’ on the 2 speed is I’d rather the direct drive was the higher gearing. Then I wouldn’t need to swap the chain when changing wheel from SS. 3 speed I’m tempted with.
I wouldn’t want to get into thread drift so a separate thread might be best to answer the question above.

Briefly, SA sprockets are available in sizes of 13 to 22 teeth inclusive so I’d have thought one of the available sprockets would match the single speed arrangement being used. Using the same size sprocket (as the SS) would give gears of ‘low, normal and high’. The SA AW uses traditional freewheels inside of it and hence their drive isn’t spongy; the ‘middle’, ‘second’ or ‘normal’ gear is (inside the hub) a direct drive so no gear train is involved. ‘Fixed gear’ SA’s are available too but they’re not common and, if needed, others can tell you about them.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
iandusud

Re: Cube Travel Pro

Post by iandusud »

slowster wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 12:02pm
PH wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 6:56pm
zenitb wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 11:53am I have done over a full year muddy commuting on this
I'd never have guessed it was muddy :wink:
Very practical looking bike, though unless there's a reason not to, I think it would benefit from an even longer front mudflap.
It looks like the front mudguard is quite a bit shorter than ideal, hence the bottom of the standard mudflap being too high. I think a very long DIY mudflap *might* be an option, but it would need to be a fairly rigid material.
I make mudflaps out of plastic plant pots, the sort that plants from garden centres come in. My wife has a huge stack of them. You need the larger ones. The plastic is thin but quite rigid and can be shaped to fit the mudguard with a hot air gun, but I'm sure a hair dryer or other source of heat would work. I think you could find these plant pots for free at any garden centre or local allotments.

BTW I think that bike could do with a much longer REAR mudguard :D