Repair patches

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mister B

Repair patches

Post by Mister B »

Does anyone know a source for good quality glueless puncture repair patches available to buy by size. I'm always left with the larger size patches when buying them as part of a repair kit and never use all the glue included. I suppose one solution would be to go tubeless, but that's not for me.
Jdsk

Re: Repair patches

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

A discussion of glueless patches:
viewtopic.php?t=141332

Jonathan
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Hi, like yourself I always seem to have a surplus of glue and large patches unsuitable for the usual dot size hole punctures!
I searched on a well known internet auction site & discovered that I can purchase patches (only) of my favourite brand Rima Tip Top. All at very reasonable cost! Your local bike shop will probably have a roll of patches & would probably sell you some if you asked them. Probably better that than go glueless - I only have them for “emergency” roadside repair (Park Tools) as a back up should I run out of inner tubes, but find that they leak after a while and therefore never suitable as a permanent repair in my hands.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I use this stuff and just cut/tear off what I need, which is always a 10-12mm square.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

axel_knutt wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 6:13pm I use this stuff and just cut/tear off what I need, which is always a 10-12mm square.
Me also.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mister B wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 4:36pm. I'm left with the larger size patches when buying them as part of a repair kit
Have you not got a knife or pair of scissors?
Like above I buy sheets of patches from Ebay.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

The OP is enquiring about glueless patches. I assume he means the type that require no glue. (Personally I buy Rima Tip Top patches of appropriate size on Ebay but these are traditional patches that require glue).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

iandusud wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 7:53am The OP is enquiring about glueless patches. I assume he means the type that require no glue. (Personally I buy Rima Tip Top patches of appropriate size on Ebay but these are traditional patches that require glue).
It’s confusing but I think the OP means buying a kit without the glue as the tubes of glue always outlive the patches.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Thanks for all the replies to my post. I've been a member for 10 years but this is the first time I've posted anything on the Forum. My instinct tells me that feather edged patches should be better, but if the likes of Weldtite sell a sheet that can be cut to size then perhaps a feathered edge isn't so beneficiaI. I too take glueless patches on a long ride in case of an unlucky day in the saddle when two spare tubes are not sufficient, but I also take a tube of glue as well!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

No patches use glue.

Both work by creating a chemical reaction breaking chemical bonds in the outer rubber layer which then reform as the liquid evaporates.

The tube of cement allows you greater flexibility in how much you apply,
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

If I recall correctly Decathlon sell strips of feather edge patches
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Buy several boxes of Wilko's excellent and cheap patch kits, and use the glue for solvent abuse? Seriously, opened tubes of glue dry up eventually, so you might as well buy the whole kit. I keep an unopened kit for last-resort roadside repairs, and have s kit on the go for fixing tubes at home.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Most modern patches are of the useless variety. I remember when I was a nipper, when a patch 'vulcanised' it was there for good. I've still got patched tubes from the 80's which I can comfortably rely on as extra spares.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

rogerzilla wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 8:57pm Buy several boxes of Wilko's excellent and cheap patch kits, and use the glue for solvent abuse? Seriously, opened tubes of glue dry up eventually, so you might as well buy the whole kit. I keep an unopened kit for last-resort roadside repairs, and have s kit on the go for fixing tubes at home.
I use a big tube at home, where the vast majority of my patching is done. I find that these don't dry out. Small tubes are effectively one-time use for me, never seem to last without drying out.
Sweep
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Slowtwitch wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 7:44am Most modern patches are of the useless variety. I remember when I was a nipper, when a patch 'vulcanised' it was there for good. I've still got patched tubes from the 80's which I can comfortably rely on as extra spares.
I find the tubes are the main problem, always having ridges just where the hole is. You need to shave them with a razor first.

Patches stick best to latex tubes - the glue is more compatible with natural rubber and they don't have ridges, either.