No Water

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: No Water

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 10:36am The only water we have in our garden is in the birdbath.
Now that supply depends on whether it's for sparrows or ostriches. :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

No sandpit in our garden so no ostriches.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick has not commented for a while. Has he pulled the plug. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Taking less water with it?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi guys.

Water came back about 10pm yesterday - 24hrs.
I was in bed at 9pm, but Mrs Mick F was up until midnight, so she knows when it came back.

The water had a brown tinge, and flushing the loo looked horrible! :lol:
The tap water wasn't worth drinking, so we filled the kettle this morning with bottled water.

Been out since 07:45 this morning, and very busy until 14:00.
Chatting to other locals, it seems that some of them still don't have water!
We came home, and ours is still fine .......... thank goodness. Clear too.
Fire lit, plenty hot water, and all's fine and dandy.

The issue was that SWW fitted a new valve "somewhere" and there was a massive air pocket afterwards. The whole thing was a programmed event that went wrong. The air pocket is still there, and some people have water, and some do not, rather than no-one having water during the valve replacement. We we weren't told, kept informed, or even considered.

Shoddy in the extreme.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 4:46pm Didn't you have some involvement with the Green Goddesses? The fire service has the capability of running hose reels for some distance from rivers etc
Sorry, not answered this.

Back in the day of the Firemans' Strike - 1977 - I was based in Rosyth, Fife.
The Green Godesses were deployed of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Goddess

I wasn't involved with it all as I'd just left a seagoing ship - HMS Gurkha based up in Rosyth - but I met many personnel after it who were drafted into the task. One of the issues with the GG's was the water tanks had no baffles and the water would swirl about in them, and a few GGs fell over on the bends. Modern fire engine tanks have baffles to stop the water moving, or at least mitigate against it.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wasn't involved with it all
My failing memory again. Sorry
=================================================
PS Although I remember the Green Goddesses being deployed, I didn't have much involvement. I do remember the first FB industrial action being during the Callaghan government. The more recent industrial action in that link was after I retired, but under the Blair government.

On reflection, my knowledge of the fire service's capability of pumping water across land comes from police War Duties training.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 22 Jan 2022, 6:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 4:46pm Didn't you have some involvement with the Green Goddesses? The fire service has the capability of running hose reels for some distance from rivers etc
I have been involved with wildfire planning and preparation. Certainly the Fire and Rescue Services have high volume pumps which can abstract water from rivers and other sources to fight fires where there's no mains source. The same pumps can extract water from where there's potential flooding.

https://environmentagency.blog.gov.uk/2 ... and-fires/
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Gunnislake: Residents say cuts to water supply is health issue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-60098358

(The BBC seems to think it's in Devon but we know better.)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks TC.

Dorothy Kirk in the picture is a very good long-standing friend of ours, and we remember her late husband Ian very well too.
Dorothy has been in politics for many many many years.
Stood as the Labour candidate for SE Cornwall at a previous general election and she's a member of Cornwall Council now.

The place is in uproar regarding water supplies. The whole area was out for 24hrs, and some folk still haven't got it back and it's heading for 48hrs now.

PS:
The link shows Albastan as the place where the first lady is, but it's Albaston.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.51603 ... 216038,15z
In the link, the Rising Sun is open as they have water. The Queen's Head are not open as they have no water. Dunno about the Rifle Volunteer.

Point of fact ......... I had my 40th birthday party at the Rifle Volunteer ................ nearly 30years ago! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Rising Sun is open as they have water.
Thank goodness for that. And plenty of scotch to dilute it, I hope.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Water = glass washer
Water = hand washing
Water = loo flushing
Water = ice machine
Water = kitchen prep and cooking
Water = the "gun" for lime/lemonade/coke/fizzy water/etc/etc
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Well ........................
Is that a pun? :lol:

Taken Sailor-the-dog for a three mile walk, and half-way we called in at the Queen's Head where they had water after a 48hrs cut off, so opened. Heard through the grapevine that they were now open. Been going to the QH for 36years BTW.

Chatting to the regulars and the landlord, and whilst me and Sailor were there, the water went off again! Only came on late last night, and now off again. Me and Sailor only stayed an hour, so maybe they will cease serving later this afternoon. Dunno.

Facts, not pub-talk.
SWW have a reservoir tank up on the hill above St Annes Chapel at Whiterocks. Maybe 1000ft elevation.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52065 ... a=!3m1!1e3
They have been involved with fitting a new tank for the past three weeks, and they've cocked-up (so to speak).
Our water is now being supplied by a couple of lorry tankers. As one empties, the other is connected, meanwhile, the empty one goes and another arrives.

It's unclear where these tankers fill up from. Hopefully in Cornwall. :wink:

This morning, Tony the landlord, was interviewed by the BBC for Spotlight SW. By what he told me, he was quite scathing about SWW, and knowing Tony, I'm sure he was!

We still have water here at home, but TBH after what I've heard today, it may not be the last of our cut-offs. It certainly isn't for some places only a mile away from here.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Radio Cornwall today.
Our good friend Dorothy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bjz266
Mick F. Cornwall