P-38 build

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Blondie

Re: P-38 build

Post by Blondie »

As to lacing the seat. The lacing is indeed taken across the diagonal between the eyelets on both sides to secure it. I sent them an email to them when I wasn’t sure either. You may need to check and retighten after a few rides.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Re tyres.

I’ve found 32mm is largest with mudguards fitted. But that also depends on what 32mm tyre as they will be different heights. The Schwalbe marathon 32mm tyre fits fine, the Vitoria Zaffiro pro 32mm rubs as it’s taller. The Zaffiro pro tyre is about 1km/h faster, so I may get it in 30mm for summer.

I run a 40mm Marathon greenguard this time of year as winter punctures are a pain. Not as sharp handling as my summer tyres which are either 37mm or 32mm. 40mm is ok but a bit wide for my internal rim width of 17.5mm. Ideally like you I’d like something in 35mm which I think would be a sweetspot for the front. But my experience of the Kodak was that it was very puncture prone on a previous recumbent.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Blondie wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 8:26pm As to lacing the seat. The lacing is indeed taken across the diagonal between the eyelets on both sides to secure it. I sent them an email to them when I wasn’t sure either. You may need to check and retighten after a few rides.
Thanks for this. Makes sense. They need to update their instructions.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Blondie wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 8:34pm Re tyres.

I’ve found 32mm is largest with mudguards fitted. But that also depends on what 32mm tyre as they will be different heights. The Schwalbe marathon 32mm tyre fits fine, the Vitoria Zaffiro pro 32mm rubs as it’s taller. The Zaffiro pro tyre is about 1km/h faster, so I may get it in 30mm for summer.

I run a 40mm Marathon greenguard this time of year as winter punctures are a pain. Not as sharp handling as my summer tyres which are either 37mm or 32mm. 40mm is ok but a bit wide for my internal rim width of 17.5mm. Ideally like you I’d like something in 35mm which I think would be a sweetspot for the front. But my experience of the Kodak was that it was very puncture prone on a previous recumbent.
Maybe I could have got the 32mm Pasela to work with different guards but it would have been very tight. Schwalbe do a 30-622 One Performance tyre which might work. Regarding a Kojak on the front, I ran this on a Giro 20 and was happy with it. It was worth regularly checking for "hitch-hikers" embedded in the tyre and removing.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Relacing the seat worked :D . Rode 18+ miles today without incident, climbing a 12% gradient at one point which has always defeated me on other 2-wheeled bents. The bike is extremely well balanced. I could hold a straight line ok in bottom gear and could trickle through T-junctions without losing balance. I restarted on an 8% gradient without much difficulty. I had to brake hard when turning right on a mini-roundabout after a quick descent when a black BMW pulled out from the left. Happy to report the brakes worked and the tyres gripped.

I had Strava running. It showed 4 personal records and a lot of seconds. So it didn't blow away my times on the RANS but considering that the P-38 is very new to me, and I'm really out-of-shape, was quite promising.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Forgot to say, have added a Tubus Ti Airy rack with Brompton rear light and reflector unit fitted.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Yes the balance is superb, and together with its agile nature, helps make it a joy to ride.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Photo of my chain tube solution, to stop it pulling through:
IMG_20220123_110640.jpg
It's not pulling through anymore but I'm getting some noise which I think may be the sound of the chain dragging through the tube. So might remove it and the fabric holder altogether. Others have reported no problems running without it. Even in small-small combination I have the chain in tension so probably ok, although my RD is clutchless.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

That is a guide pulley on my P38. The chain tube is a relatively recent thing, last couple of years. I don’t have any chain tube on my P38.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Not good news. The seam at the front of the seat where the mesh is sown to the pocket has torn. Along that join the mesh isn't turned over into a deep seam, just a small shallow seam which is just stitched to the pocket, and it's pulled apart. Even if I seal the mesh threads with a soldering iron to stop them fraying, I'm not sure it can be restitched to the pocket.

Buying a new seat mesh kit from Lightning is $228 including delivery. It's not clear whether or not that includes import duties etc. Would a new one hold? Well I know what I did wrong, I failed to fasten the pocket's velcro closure. However, I'm not totally convinced that would prevent it recurring.

I'm wondering whether I could remove the pocket at the front of the seat and use some kind of webbing wrapped around the seat frame instead. Any suggestions for seat webbing?
Gee

Post by Gee »

Crikey, that’s a nuisance. I’m not 100% sure of the layout but I wonder whether it might be possible to fix, either with stitching or glue some kind of webbing on top and bottom of the mesh. The put some eyelets in and fix it to the bottom of the frame is a similar manner to the sides and top.

quote=UpWrong post_id=1672165 time=1644532550 user_id=10867]
Not good news. The seam at the front of the seat where the mesh is sown to the pocket has torn. Along that join the mesh isn't turned over into a deep seam, just a small shallow seam which is just stitched to the pocket, and it's pulled apart. Even if I seal the mesh threads with a soldering iron to stop them fraying, I'm not sure it can be restitched to the pocket.

Buying a new seat mesh kit from Lightning is $228 including delivery. It's not clear whether or not that includes import duties etc. Would a new one hold? Well I know what I did wrong, I failed to fasten the pocket's velcro closure. However, I'm not totally convinced that would prevent it recurring.

I'm wondering whether I could remove the pocket at the front of the seat and use some kind of webbing wrapped around the seat frame instead. Any suggestions for seat webbing?
[/quote]
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I'm still unsure whether to try to repair it. I think the torn seam is where 3 pieces of material come together: the seat mesh (bottom in the photos), the seat pocket which covers the seat frame at the front (upper black part in the photos), and the sleeve for the seat foam (the fine weave in the middle).The photos are the view of the underside looking forwards if the cover was on the frame. The blue is the top of the seat mesh showing because I've folded the bottom end of the mesh over the top end.
IMG_20220212_220909_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220212_220917.jpg
You can see the velcro top and bottom which is there to seal the pocket over the front tube of the frame. This is what I hadn't done up, because I hadnt spotted it. I guess it takes some of the pressure off the seam.

I think another strip of fabric is needed to sandwich the mesh to the existing seam, and more stitching applied. I'm rather downhearted because I am wanting and needing to go out and get some miles in.. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and order another, then I can try to repair the old one without any time pressure. My other idea was to replace the front pocket with some webbing, probably covering the seat base. I'd need some kind of seat pad to rest on top probably.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Surely that's a warranty item?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

yostumpy wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 10:54am Surely that's a warranty item?
I'm honest enough to admit I didn't have the seat cover attached correctly, although in my defence there weren't/aren't any instructions. But I am concerned that such damage can occur from failing to attach the velco fastening. Unless it was when I had the lacing wrong and the front of the cover popped off, although I abandoned the ride immediately when that happened. Don't know. Guess I should bring it to Lightning Bikes attention in case there has been a change in the way the cover is stitched together, either intentionally or as a result of changing supplier or something.

EDIT: I've emailed Lightning to bring it to their attention, and asked for assurance that a new seat cover, properly installed would be durable, having made reservations about the construction of the seam showing in my photo. I really want to get back on the bike. I went out on the Stratus yesterday and it felt mushy in comparison.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Oh no, my seat is two years old going strong.