Are club rides under threat from Highway Code changes?

mattsccm

Re: Are club rides under threat from Highway Code changes?

Post by mattsccm »

I must admit that when all this was under consultation I felt that the two abreast thing was likely to be less suitable to cyclists thatn the older version. I seemed to be the only one who felt this way. The old version to me gave more "right" for two abreast riding.
Too late now.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

But 3 abreast is wrong. However to blame all cyclists is like me blaming all BMW drivers for being morons.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

As an aside, do any of you ever get accused of riding 4 abreast on group rides, when you are riding 2 abreast but the second pair may be slightly offset from the first pair (this is to avoid being sprayed in the face by the rider in front’s inadequate rear mudguard, or to get a bit of shelter from a cross wind). This has happened a few times to us on group rides - usually a group of 8-10, so 4 or 5 pairs. Thus:
- _ - _
- _ - _
direction of travel ====>
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
drossall

Post by drossall »

I'm sure it happens all the time. You can see how - people only need to look from behind and not think what they are seeing.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattsccm wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 6:10pm But 3 abreast is wrong. However to blame all cyclists is like me blaming all BMW drivers for being morons.
Why is 3 abreast wrong? I've ridden 5 abreast, maybe more, when we had 3 mile visibility and no cars near, out on the fens. It's not inherently wrong until it obstructs someone illegitimately.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

do any of you ever get accused of riding 4 abreast on group rides
We were once, oddly, weeks after the event, on behalf of a disgruntled driver. I say on behalf, as the complainant was a cyclist, who came to our club ride start to make the complaint on behalf of his driving friend! (but not to joint the ride).

It is easy to look the wrong number abreast. Here looks 3 abreast, but the RH (in picture) lady is in front of the middle/LH riders: -
https://www.cyclinguk.org/ (unless they have changed the front picture by the time you look it up of course!)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PT1029 wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 8:20pm
It is easy to look the wrong number abreast. Here looks 3 abreast, but the RH (in picture) lady is in front of the middle/LH riders: -
https://www.cyclinguk.org/ (unless they have changed the front picture by the time you look it up of course!)

Not if there's only 3 in the group! Read my post again.
I am here. Where are you?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Rules is why its wrong. No rules and it isn't.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Well the rule advice about never riding more than 2 abreast is being reworded, mostly because it's daft.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cowsham wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 2:00pm Whilst I agree with all you say, there does seem to be ( seems to me at least ) a portion of the cycling fraternity that think they have right of way everywhere they care to grace with their presence.
Unlike the motoring fraternity that never ever thinks that they have right of way everywhere, whether or not there are other road users on a bit of road.
[...] No consideration for any other road user just chatting away as they dawdled along like last of the summer wine.
I see. And were you dawdling or were you exerting yourself following them?
I waited patiently behind them for about 2 miles before they decided it was time to turn off the road at the next junction.
Congratulations on meeting the driving standards.
Who could be surprised about car drivers attitudes to cyclists when this is the behavior of some.

Thankfully there's not too many in our part of the world.
It's disappointing that there aren't many cyclists in your part of the world, but I can understand it when some car drivers will even go on cycling forums to complain about them "dawdling" and showing no "consideration" apparently simply for daring to talk to each other while riding along.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Cowsham wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 2:00pm 3 cyclists in front of me 3 abreast but the one nearest the white line was so fat his body was on the other side of the white line making it impossible to pass
What a very unpleasant thing to write.

(I'm glad you're in the minority. Otherwise cyclists might get a bad name for themselves.)
mjr

Post by mjr »

Stevek76 wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 1:46pm Well the rule advice about never riding more than 2 abreast is being reworded, mostly because it's daft.
The new rules about riding 2 abreast in full:

For cyclists: Rule 66: "You should
• avoid any actions that could reduce your control of your cycle
• be considerate of the needs of other road users when riding in groups. You can ride two abreast and it can be safer to do so, particularly in larger groups or when accompanying children or less experienced riders. Be aware of drivers behind you and allow them to overtake (for example, by moving into single file or stopping) when you feel it is safe to let them do so [...]"

For all: Rule 213: "On narrow sections of road, on quiet roads or streets, at road junctions and in slower-moving traffic, cyclists may sometimes ride in the centre of the lane, rather than towards the side of the road. It can be safer for groups of cyclists to ride two abreast in these situations. Allow them to do so for their own safety, to ensure they can see and be seen. Cyclists are also advised to ride at least a door’s width or 1 metre from parked cars for their own safety. [...]"

Personally, I think this is likely to encourage the cycling groups that were riding single file in lanes too narrow for safe overtaking to stay 2 abreast more and hold their nerve until a safe passing place where they can pull over, especially when combined with the 1.5m@30mph and more-when-faster overtaking distance in rule 163. The days of LandRover drivers putting cyclists in the hedge by forcing their way past on 3m carriageways hopefully will come to an end!
Last edited by mjr on 25 Jan 2022, 4:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

There are times when riding in twos can be safely accommodated,others when riding thus is an indulgence.Some riders seem to consider this right to be very important,others see it as somewhat eccentric and anachronistic- a bit like making tea,soup,aphrodisiacs from stinging nettles.A bit boring really.