Fill that hole

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rogerhubbold

Missing Fill that Hole app?

Post by rogerhubbold »

I recently changed my iPhone and had to reload my apps. Fill that Hole seems to be missing from the Apple app store. Does anyone else have this problem? We have a lot of potholes at the moment and I'd like to report them! I see there's a new Android app but no mention of Apple.
Jdsk

Re: Missing Fill that Hole app?

Post by Jdsk »

I've told Cycling UK.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Duplicate.
Last edited by Psamathe on 24 Jan 2022, 12:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I used to use it but on the newer iPhones (without "home" button) the layout is a nightmare with crucial buttons virtually under the "home bar" making the app very difficult to use. It desperately needs some "maintenance". So I switched to "FixMyStreet" which does the same but a bit more (e.g. you can report additional issues like flytipping); plus it has a mechanism to follow-up reports and update the reports (so you don't end up with vast numbers of reports dating back years that were fixed long ago.

CTC/CUK do not seem to understand that an app is not something you develop and it's done forever, don't appreciate that apps need maintaining (e.g. as OSs change, update, etc.)
Edit: Many years ago I volunteered to the then CTC to work on and/or help with maintenance (do/oversee/mamage/whatever) the app but CTC were "unresponsive". Last time I bothered to offer to help the organisation.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Reply from Cycling UK:

Thanks for flagging this up.

At the moment it is not showing up because unfortunately the app does not work on the most recent version of iOS, and we have not been able to keep up with changes on Android, either. Previously we’ve relied on applying for grants to keep the app updated.

There are plans to make the website more user friendly, and maintain that as the main point for recording issues at the moment. However, we know that lots of people find the app useful for reporting potholes while out and about, so we are hoping at some point to be able to upgrade it for new operating systems and then it will once again be available on the app store.

In the meantime, we ought to remove that link from the website, so thank you for mentioning it!

Jonathan
MarkL

Reporting Potholes

Post by MarkL »

Does anyone know why the excellent ' fill that hole 'app is no longer available for iPhone on the App store?
It says' not available in this region'
slowster

Re: Reporting Potholes

Post by slowster »

MarkL wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 9:30pm Does anyone know why the excellent ' fill that hole 'app is no longer available for iPhone on the App store?
It says' not available in this region'
Welcome to the forum. I've approved your post, but also merged it with a previous Topic on the subject, which I think answers your question.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Just contact your council who is responsible for road repairs and other issues. They'll have something similar on their website so that anyone can report a road fault and you should be issued with a receipt number, which allows you to chase up the issue with the council if its not been sorted.

Reporting a road fault through a third party (like fix my street) does not guarantee 100% that your report will be successfully communicated to the right council.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

cycle tramp wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 1:20pm Just contact your council who is responsible for road repairs and other issues. They'll have something similar on their website so that anyone can report a road fault and you should be issued with a receipt number, which allows you to chase up the issue with the council if its not been sorted.

Reporting a road fault through a third party (like fix my street) does not guarantee 100% that your report will be successfully communicated to the right council.
Your starter for 10.

How should somebody identify the local authority responsible for this, especially if they are not local to the area where they have noted a defect?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 1:28pm
cycle tramp wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 1:20pm Just contact your council who is responsible for road repairs and other issues. They'll have something similar on their website so that anyone can report a road fault and you should be issued with a receipt number, which allows you to chase up the issue with the council if its not been sorted.

Your starter for 10.

How should somebody identify the local authority responsible for this, especially if they are not local to the area where they have noted a defect?
Try using FixMyStreet allow location services and it will report to right authority.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 1:28pm

Your starter for 10.

Unitary and County councils are kinda big - for example Somerset County Council spans all of Somerset, and Devon Council spans all of Devon and Cornwall Council spans all of.... anyway you get the idea. So unless the road issue happens close to the boundary, its not going to be an issue..
Failing that a quick Google will give you an idea of which Council sits where, the central government website even has a handy down loadable map and of maps do show the boundaries of each Council..
And if the Council customer services team does find that you've reported to the wrong council, at the very least they should get back in touch with you to let you know, or even better let you know they've forwarded it to the right Council. Its certainly something I did during my day.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Paulatic wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 2:25pm

Try using FixMyStreet allow location services and it will report to right authority.

Ive used FixMyStreet for years - reporting fly tipping, pot holes etc - seems to be effective
Easy to use - take a quick snap whilst cycling with GPS on - fill in the details later

https://www.fixmystreet.com/
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Jules59 wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 7:40pm
Paulatic wrote: 22 Jan 2023, 2:25pm

Ive used FixMyStreet for years - reporting fly tipping, pot holes etc - seems to be effective
Easy to use - take a quick snap whilst cycling with GPS on - fill in the details later

https://www.fixmystreet.com/
Cool! I have to admit that I've not.. so, I don't have any working knowledge of it. I'm hoping that fix my street gives some sort of email receipt advising of their reference for your report, which council they have reported it to and the council's receipt or reference number.

If there's no reference from the council, and you encounter that road issue which you have reported through a third party.. then it's going to be harder to prove that the council was notified of that road issue.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The biggest problem is when a road issue is near a boundary. Many councils do not know where the exact boundary is and will try to pass any problem to the neighbouring one. This can result in very long delays before anything happens.
It seems "potholes are us" ( some quite serious) anywhere around here at the moment. However they are reported I don't think a quick fix can be expected.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »