Tonsheng or Bafang?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Slowtwitch

Tonsheng or Bafang?

Post by Slowtwitch »

Tonsheng or Bafang mid mount? What's the real differences in quality, and performance. I have two bikes to electrify, and although budget is a consideration, it's not the final say in choice.
stodd

Re: Tonsheng or Bafang?

Post by stodd »

Slowtwitch wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 7:47am Tonsheng or Bafang mid mount? What's the real differences in quality, and performance. I have two bikes to electrify, and although budget is a consideration, it's not the final say in choice.
Second hand comments, mainly summarised from various posts on the Pedelecs forum.

Tongshen is lighter. (I thought, but Woosh lists them both at 3.9kgs)
Tongshen has torque sensor rather than cadence sensor; most people prefer the 'feel' that gives. With a good controller for the Bafang the difference is not too important.

There are quite a few reports of Tongshen failures. Often associated with overheating; the heat distribution is poor but there are fairly easy ways to improve it. If you feel you might stress the Tongshen at all fix a heat sensor to the internals to warn you if you might be overdoing things. For normal use (people's ideas of normal very a lot, though) it should be pretty reliable.
Jodel

Post by Jodel »

As stodd has indicated, you'll very likely gather a lot of information from the Pedelecs forum and also Endless Sphere - although the ES forums have more of a North American bias.
hemo

Post by hemo »

BBS is more akin to moped riding, little input is needed though has 9 pas levels.
Build is pretty strong but it labours on slow cadence and to high a gear at low cadence can blow controllers eventually, heat dispersal is good.
Tsdz is torque sensing so more rider specific input wise, build generally a bit poor with a few issues, motor rpm is approx. twice that of the BBS so cadence is lower. One needs to search to find the issues which in most part can be overcome, heat is the main problem as it blue drive gear failure from to much torque/power from a standing start.

BBS comes in many forms of power and can be 36, 48 0r 52v.
Tsdz are 36 or 48v, power is dependant on the current setting, 48v models are the go for option.

For reliability BBS edges it, for riding appeal the tsdz will feel better.
Unless one is up for modifying forget the tsdz.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Bafang definitely, built I think nearly 30 odd with only one giving an issue and was later sorted quickly and cheaply.. and it was one that was heavily used, hard.. the thing that I feel is often overlooked by many is that a motor that works adequately for someone of say 10st doesn't do well at all with 18 st, a heavier bike and someone who spends their life a low cadence, eg. on a 50x11 gear, either because of inaptitude , lack of skill, or health reasons...so pick your wattage carefully depending on user weight fitness and riding skill.I have had a couple of Tong/S and to be brutally honest I couldn't say I noticed any difference in the claimed pedal sensing system.. w
rjb

Post by rjb »

Excellent review of the Tonsheng here. https://edrivenet.com/tongsheng-tsdz2-review/ :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I think I'm going to plump for the Tonsheng. Torque sensing on a unit at this price point is a killer plus.