How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Re: How's your weather?

Post by gbnz »

Pebble wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 11:28pm A beautiful day here in the Borders

But the more interesting bit from todays weather was the massive cloud bank approaching slowly from the south west, about an hour after that photo was taken the prominent hill in the middle ground (Rubers Law) was swallowed up. Cracking day to be out
+ 1. 16.30 yesterday, heading North over the moor road to Alnwick. Crystal clear skies, sun still shining, full moon fully visible directly ahead. And as you've noted, that incredible, wall of cloud dominating the entire horizon to the South
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yesterday was a pretty good day with plenty of sunshine.
But that means the nights will be chilly.
I need to get out on the bike to keep my blood pressure down to stop headaches.
It said it was gonna be 2°, and it probably was when I left home and when I came back.
But as I got into ride noticed the frost on the grass and the glinting along the cycle paths.
My Speedo sender and already packed up through the cold, but the temperature was showing as -1.7.
I didn't feel that cold at first only my thumb was suffering.
But later my fingers were cold and tingling when I stopped, on the way home I had to pass through the marshes,-2 or thereabouts.
Take it easy and didn't really wanna ride fast through all that cold air, at some point hands and arms gone cold right foot gone numb, could've done with a bit more clothing and I had some on board, teeth hurting lower jaw starting to seize up, even my head was starting to hurt :lol:
only my bare legs and knees felt comfortable.
Temperature is going to be 5° warmer today, so should've gone tonight, but once I've decided to go out on your own we go rain or shine.
Was out about three hours or more to get my normal course under my belt, and I actually managed to cycle all the way home which I haven't done for awhile, last time out I could barely walk come the end.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 11:08am Lovely day here though the weather forecast says rain -- it's totally out of step and has been since first lock down.
Horrible wet and cold day today -- BBC app said yesterday today was to be sunshine. Again totally wrong. Yes the location is correct.

Weather forecast for Wed is light cloud and a fresh breeze ( well there's always a fresh breeze up here so they'll get that bit right )
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Cowsham wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 4:08pm
Cowsham wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 11:08am Lovely day here though the weather forecast says rain -- it's totally out of step and has been since first lock down.
Horrible wet and cold day today -- BBC app said yesterday today was to be sunshine. Again totally wrong. Yes the location is correct.

Weather forecast for Wed is light cloud and a fresh breeze ( well there's always a fresh breeze up here so they'll get that bit right )
Was out for 2 1/2 hours today cycling against the fresh breeze -- got a quick soaking but at least the journey back was dry and I had the fresh breeze on my back. Glad of the push home cos I had a fair bit of shopping in my back pack.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Minus three when I had my morning cuppa at 05:45, and even now at 11:00 it's minus one.
Gorgeous day out there, but damned cold !
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

BBC app gives light cloud light breeze -- actual -- light rain with light breeze.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

gbnz wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 8:07am
Pebble wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 11:28pm A beautiful day here in the Borders

But the more interesting bit from todays weather was the massive cloud bank approaching slowly from the south west, about an hour after that photo was taken the prominent hill in the middle ground (Rubers Law) was swallowed up. Cracking day to be out
+ 1. 16.30 yesterday, heading North over the moor road to Alnwick. Crystal clear skies, sun still shining, full moon fully visible directly ahead. And as you've noted, that incredible, wall of cloud dominating the entire horizon to the South
Glad someone else saw this, it was just spectacular.

Anyway, I'm responding to the post you made yesterday that mysteriously disappeared. You mentioned the new cycleway from Alnwick down to Lesbury via the old railway line. what is it like? is it a hard tarmac type surface or is it just gravel/cinders ? I must revisit the place, we used to skive off school and spend the day pratting about down there, used to go and play. i take it you access the track by the estate where screwfix is ? But what is the best way getting through alnwick if coming in through the dairy grounds? I don't fancy the south road by the hotspur monument. would I go round by green batt and wagonway road?
pwa

Post by pwa »

The freaky weather continues here today. It is late January, but we have no frost. Not even on car windows at dawn. It isn't warm, but temperatures here (coastal, admittedly) did not go below zero overnight. Outside now, it is cool and dry with grey skies. Dry weather in January is normally a good bit colder than this.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 10:06am The freaky weather continues here today. It is late January, but we have no frost. Not even on car windows at dawn. It isn't warm, but temperatures here (coastal, admittedly) did not go below zero overnight. Outside now, it is cool and dry with grey skies. Dry weather in January is normally a good bit colder than this.
It's the same story here today Lowton near Leigh GM(but really Lancashire :wink: ) and we've had two frosty mornings this winter both have cleared by 11am.Though we have had a few days when it's not got above 6C.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

After 2 very frosty mornings it was just above zero today. Beautiful, bright sunny day and now around 6 deg.
Off now to go shopping by bike. Part of the route is through a wood and it can get very boggy at times. Alternative route adds 3 uphill miles but might have to be my choice.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 18 Jan 2022, 10:10am Hi,
Yesterday was a pretty good day with plenty of sunshine.
But that means the nights will be chilly.
I need to get out on the bike to keep my blood pressure down to stop headaches.
It said it was gonna be 2°, and it probably was when I left home and when I came back.
But as I got into ride noticed the frost on the grass and the glinting along the cycle paths.
My Speedo sender and already packed up through the cold, but the temperature was showing as -1.7.
I didn't feel that cold at first only my thumb was suffering.
But later my fingers were cold and tingling when I stopped, on the way home I had to pass through the marshes,-2 or thereabouts.
Take it easy and didn't really wanna ride fast through all that cold air, at some point hands and arms gone cold right foot gone numb, could've done with a bit more clothing and I had some on board, teeth hurting lower jaw starting to seize up, even my head was starting to hurt :lol:
only my bare legs and knees felt comfortable.
Temperature is going to be 5° warmer today, so should've gone tonight, but once I've decided to go out on your own we go rain or shine.
Was out about three hours or more to get my normal course under my belt, and I actually managed to cycle all the way home which I haven't done for awhile, last time out I could barely walk come the end.
Brrrr ! I did that once before about 4 - 5 years ago -- not pain as such but when I had to scrape the ice off my face I made the decision -- never again!

That Guy Martin is a hard boy -- sub zero temp but amplified by all the Metalwork in his body -- I think he said his hands were the worst.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Had a lovely day yesterday on mtb -- did about 30 miles. Running slightly lower tyre pressures is a bit of a revelation for me. About 6 degrees the 2 hrs I was out.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Pebble wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 9:51am
it was just spectacular. + 1 :shock:

You mentioned the new cycleway from Alnwick down to Lesbury via the old railway line.
[/quote]

Alnwick/Lesbury cycleway; 1.25km gravel/cinders of exceptional quality (2m+ width, correctly structured, rolled, laid 4yr's (?) back with EU funding. Even OK on 23mm road tyres in dry spring/summer weather). 300m lead in track is ok, but loose 30-40mm diameter stone surfacing. Worst part is the 1.25km tarmac road at Lesbury end; it's local authority maintained, poorly structured, poor camber, pot holed, 2-3" depth farming mud/cow faeces causes issues autumn/winter

Access via Wagonway Rd/Screwfix estate is best option; head under A1 at Alnwick's southerly A1 junction, follow circular slip road as if intending to head South down the A1, turning right off the A1, just before it joins A1. Generally I never use "cycleways". But the fact that subconsciously, I'll routinely use this one as a flat "warm up" route out of Alnwick, suggests it's fairly decent (Nb. 10 yr's ago it was a rabbit track, the disused railway line blocked by derelict fencing).

And don't know if you're aware of the cycleway Lesbury-Warkworth. 3 miles, tarmac, flat, parallel to the main A road, superb, other than the potential for traffic noise (Nb. Other than a route into Morpeth, it's the only other cycleway I routinely use)
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Yet another cold, calm, cloudy, gloomy day. Oh for some wind to blow the clouds away...coming tomorrow apparently.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Dunno what the weather's at, I can't see it for the fog.
Have we got time for another cuppa?