Carradice Super C front and rear panniers

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Gaff

Carradice Super C front and rear panniers

Post by Gaff »

I bought two pairs front and rear about two years ago and have used them since for a few tours and daily commuting.
They are simply the best very strong duck cotton stands up well to brushes with posts and fences and road grime washes off easily.

I've had no leakage on them at all. The covers clip into place and the inside has a drawer string.

The one problem I had when they were new was that one anti swing clip fell off, I telephoned Carradice and they popped one in the post straight away foc.

When these finally die I will buy another pair ..
julk

Post by julk »

+1 for Super Cs.

I have tried quite a few brands and these are my personal favourites.
hubgearfreak

Re: Carradice Super C front and rear panniers

Post by hubgearfreak »

agreed, they're brilliant.

Gaff wrote:When these finally die I will buy another pair ..

however, they're that good it may be that they'll be looking for a new owner when you die. :shock:
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

This company gets my vote too!

I have a carridace bag for my daily commute and it carries all my gear in comfort, plus its lived outside since new, and nearly a year old now is still looking great, going great and waterproof.

Bought my Rosie a pair of panniers at Christmas - love these too.

AND

I made a special request to Carridace for a waterprooof saddle cover to fit the brooks flyer. They were unable to supply, so instead sent me (free I might add) the materials they would use so I can make one for my bike myself!!

They are the business when it comes to service with a smile! :lol:

(Just waiting at work for a free machine to be serviced at work, then Im making this saddle cover)

AND they are a british company - So buying their produce helps Britain.

(I suppose British made goods can be describe automatically as 'Fair Trade' really cant they?) 8)

Mary
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Manx Cat wrote: They were unable to supply, so instead sent me (free I might add) the materials they would use so I can make one for my bike myself!!

That's fantastic. Bless their cotton duck socks.
I have a full set of Super C bags and am regularly amazed at just house cavernous they are and how much character they have. I love 'em
gaz

Post by gaz »

My Super Cs are nothing short of 20 years old. The design detail has changed many times over that period, the materials have not.

The changes are in design, not in fit. I needed new hooks last year, the current ones fit perfectly.

They get my vote.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I was looking at these for my new bike (when it arrives).

I'm a pannier virgin but for the distance I want to cycle the rucksack just doesn't work any more.

Is there anything I need to know? Does one size fit all???

Are they suitable for use singly should one want to use 'all the tread' on one's tyres? (Thinking get the bike to lean one way for the journey and the other on the way back)...
julk

Post by julk »

I have a variety of these super Cs.
I often cycle with just the one pannier.
Realising it must get lonely, I also go out with all four occasionally.
On special occasions I add a super C stuffsack to the rack top as well.
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

kwackers wrote:Are they suitable for use singly

Don't do it, you madman!

You will spin out and die ;)
kernow-tourer

Post by kernow-tourer »

I have a set of super c rear panniers and want to get a set of front ones for my blackburn low rider rack, however the c system fittings that are on them dont look to be compatable with my rack. Has any one else had this problem and overcome it(with out paying an extra £30 for the rixen and kaul fittings)?
Cheers
If it aint raining, it aint training!
woollee23

Post by woollee23 »

kwackers wrote:I was looking at these for my new bike (when it arrives).

I'm a pannier virgin but for the distance I want to cycle the rucksack just doesn't work any more.

Is there anything I need to know? Does one size fit all???

Are they suitable for use singly should one want to use 'all the tread' on one's tyres? (Thinking get the bike to lean one way for the journey and the other on the way back)...

Might be worth considering a large saddle bag (With SQR system if necessary) rather than single pannier?

I have this set up, and find it works much better than when I rode with panniers. Comes in handy for commutes. Keeps the weight in one place (no mono-pannier dilemmas), enables me to negotiate obstacles such as bridle path gates more easily than panniers, and a super quality product.

Also worth checking out the related thread on this message board on Carradice saddle bags for more opinions on the relative merits of SQR systems, etc.
julk

Post by julk »

I have a set of super c rear panniers and want to get a set of front ones for my blackburn low rider rack, however the c system fittings that are on them dont look to be compatable with my rack.

k-t
The top rail on the Blackburn low riders has a stiffening plate welded along it which gets in the way of pannier hooks which grab right round the rail.
To get super Cs to fit, I would suggest cutting the plate away just where you want the pannier hooks to go round the top rail.
Alternatively a different rack, say a Tubus Tara, would work well but cost more.
Raph

Post by Raph »

Just to add to to the already healthy chorus of approval - I bought a pair of Carradice panniers 35 years ago and they're still in daily use. I recently fobbed them off onto my partner in favour of superC for reasons of greater capacity, and better "anti-flapping" clips, but otherwise they're still going fine. She might now ditch them for the same reason - the need for more capacity.

As mentioned above, it's not a question of when they die you'll get another pair, it's when you die they'll get a new owner.

PS now using a SQR waterproof saddlebag - excellent. A few years now of very frequent use and no signs of wear yet.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Just ordered a Carradice rackpack from the factory. (I'm afraid I messed them about a bit as I forgot to order another small item, and when I rang back a very short time later, the bag was already packed, but they were still very friendly and patient with me and unpacked the bag, and popped it in the box. :oops: ) Everything arrived promptly and I'm delighted with it- I thought it might look a bit 'clumpy' but it doesn't at all, it's very neat and smart in appearance. Of course quality-wise it is everything people say- excellent. I can't wait to try it, but not allowed until my birthday!
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I have a Super C bar bag and rack bag. Both have proved to be 100% waterproof and fit for purpose. I would love to spash out on a set of 4 panniers but my current Creek2 peak jobbies have also proved their worth so can't justify the expense.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.