How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
oldtimer99

Re: How's your weather?

Post by oldtimer99 »

Thickish wettish mist. No wind but 1° and feeling bitter. Same as yesterday. Needs some solid rain to wash the muddy slime off the roads. Awful for cycling this week.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Grey but dry pleasant day today -- pity I'm at work! Looking forward to the brighter mornings -- riding 15 miles to work in the pitch dark and 15 home again in pitch darkness isn't my favorite activity -- but doing my bit to save the planet and get into shape for the summer expeditions.
I am here. Where are you?
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Audax67 wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 2:17pm Dunno what the weather's at, I can't see it for the fog.
Not really about the weather, but that brought this to mind:

There's a YouTube channel, 'Beau of the Fifth Column', a journalist who philosophises about US politics - his videos always start with, "Well, howdy there, internet people, it's Beau again. So, today we're going to talk about..."

Well, the other day he was talking about 'Journalism 101', which he defined as, "If someone tells you it's raining and someone else tells you it's dry, your job isn't to report both sides of the story, your job is to look out of the window."

Tbh, with all of us cyclists being relatively obsessed about the weather compared to other kinds of folks, I think we've all learned that in spite of what the forecast is telling us, and in spite of all the high tech nowadays, weather forecasts can sometimes still be a bit flawed, and the only reliable way is to look out the window. And anyway, even if the weather's awful, some of our best rides have been when it's teeming down, blowing a gale, or even freezing cold, as long as we keep going, keep warm (enough) and don't fall off.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Grey and chilly all this week but, joy of joys, no discernible breeze. I’ve been out cycling five days in a row now and it’s been well over a year since I last managed that. :D
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
soar

Post by soar »

33 degrees today, 25 degrees by 9am, much to warm , plays hell with my hot foot,
scribes

Post by scribes »

Wind 31 gusting to 45mph, 7 degrees c, and raining. I'm not cycling today!!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Was a bit breezy but mostly dry the last 2 days -- didn't get out -- too much to do. Winds picking up tonight supposed to be very rough later.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Fairly nice for the 42 mile ride yesterday, but a bit cool today - 55 F and breezy. Long ride coming up (90 miles) on Sunday when high is supposed to be in the 60's F with 9 MPH wind from a moderate direction (ie, not northerly - which brings cold weather).
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

soar wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 10:41am 33 degrees today, 25 degrees by 9am, much to warm , plays hell with my hot foot,
But where are you ?

---------------------------------

The remarkable thing about the weather here (scottish Borders) at the moment is how dry it has been, 8.1 mm of rain for the first 4 weeks of the year.

Even the roads are dry, even when we it isnt raining in January the roads are usually wet, but not this year. Wonderful not having to clean the bike after every ride.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I won't ride in the rain if I can help it, too much trouble cleaning the bike afterwards. We've had abut 1/4" rain so far this week, we need a lot more, it's been quite dry so far. I had to put the sprinklers on today for the garden.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Rain and 8 degrees. I'm happy enough if it's not less than 5 degrees in winter.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Extremely blustery today.
Will beep me cool whilst I'm excavating the front garden 8)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

15 degrees in our garden at lunchtime. Took our lunch on the bench in the sunshine. Magic, the snowdrops have bloomed and lots of greenery poking through promising a colourful display.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Went from a nice dry breezy day to torrential rain and blowing a gale.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Cowsham wrote: 3 Feb 2022, 4:50pm Went from a nice dry breezy day to torrential rain and blowing a gale.
the opposite here in Cambridge. Looks beautiful now, but the most miserable commute in of the year so far