Cowsham

Highway Code changes

Post by Cowsham »

Last edited by Cowsham on 27 Jan 2022, 8:30am, edited 1 time in total.
I am here. Where are you?
ChrisButch

Re: Highway Code revisions: Consultation complete and Government response published

Post by ChrisButch »

...and today the Grauniad has a nice letter from the Director of the RAC Foundation, Steve Gooding:
I have long thought that the vast majority of the Highway Code’s content could be wrapped up in one simple piece of advice that all road users would do well to remember: “Do as you would be done by.”
RickH

Re: Highway Code revisions: Consultation complete and Government response published

Post by RickH »

I've just seen a link in a post in a Facebook group (Chester & North Wales CTC) with an eminently sensible take on the new HC. In The Spectator of all places!
(click to enlarge)
(click to enlarge)
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/ent ... r-too-long
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

At work 25.1.2022 a large number of motorists seem unaware of the new changes.i think with the understandable pressure of COVID and other it would be expected that Government publicity is low.Laws can have good intent and bad consequences.In Germany pedestrians always had priority.In UK it was cars.I prefer the old UK system re pedestrians.Its going to very scary especially on dark winter nights crossing junctions.Most cars 99% on probability will give way.1 % will not.Simply because they do not see the pedestrian at the junction.Pedestrians will comfortably cross because they see the bright lights of cars who are clearly visible.We are ALL more vulnerable when walking.I feel there is a very real possibility when we are walking and not cycling accident rates may rise.

When cycling I do not think that many people will be hogging the middle lane.Cars are much faster.Irrespective of the law they will hoot and hoot.Cyclists are courteous and most will pull over to give both ample room.At present my friends cycle two abreast on quiet roads.In the city we will stick to single file.We will continue to.Again its about mutual respect and safety.

I have attended lots of cycle events and a small minority of car drivers get very frustrated with the slow speeds of cyclists.

Beware of poisoned chalices.

*********************************************************************************
I ride a Brompton and 100% British vintage handbuilt
mjr

Post by mjr »

briansnail wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 4:38amIn Germany pedestrians always had priority.In UK it was cars.
They never did in law, did they? Motorists had simply stolen priority in practice by bullying other road users and intimidating them out of putting a foot/wheel on the crossings to claim priority. The highway code change simply resets the balance.

Casualties shouldn't increase. Most walkers will hesitate at first, so it'll be roughly the same number injured at first, then there should be some high profile "making an example of them" prosecutions of bullying motorists who hurt sympathetic victims like small children or elderly people, then most motorists will comply and casualties will decline.

It's a shame it couldn't change with zero added casualties but this isn't awful.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The Govt have issued a notice detailing the changes.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/the- ... nuary-2022
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for posting that.

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think the pedestrian priority thing happened to me today :shock:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

briansnail wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 4:38am .I prefer the old UK system re pedestrians. Its going to very scary especially on dark winter nights crossing junctions. Most cars 99% on probability will give way.1 % will not. Simply because they do not see the pedestrian at the junction.
Why will it be more scary? Just cross how you do now - there is no increased risk of being run over.

The change means that if you make an error of judgement, a driver is more likely to stop BEFORE he hits you.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 5:54pm I think the pedestrian priority thing happened to me today :shock:
The cyclist priority thing definitely happened to me today as I crossed a side road on a roadside cycleway. Sadly, only the driver turning in, not the one coming out of the road. Oh, well. It'll come...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Rule 5 seems a bit strange and open to misinterpretation.

I've posted this as it is being discussed on a shooting forum I use.

*Edited* to show image.
Last edited by Hellhound on 27 Jan 2022, 9:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The image isn't showing. The associated URL is the front page of the shooting forum.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 08.57.16.png
Old on the left, new on the right, changes highlighted.

What's the concern, please?

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 8:56am Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 08.57.16.png

Old on the left, new on the right, changes highlighted.

What's the concern, please?

Jonathan
Now edited.
The concern is rule 5.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Do you mean the fifth panel in that image or Rule 5?

And where's that image from, please?

Thanks

Jonathan