Safest path(?) from Oban to Glasgow?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Norman H

Re: Safest path(?) from Oban to Glasgow?

Post by Norman H »

The forest track is actually part of the Three Lochs forest Drive and the surface is good. The last three or four hundred metres to exit onto the A821 (Duke's Pass) are more of a foot path but should be easily doable with the trailer. If you decide against the footpath you can continue on the Three Lochs Drive and exit the forest park a kilometre or so further up the Duke's Pass. This Google link shows the footpath to the A821. It begins where the cycle path ends.

And here's a streetview of the A821 (Duke's Pass) at the point where the footpath emerges.

Incidentally, if you're camping the Loch Achray Campsite shown on that map is in a delightful location and has basic facilities.

I've not cycled any of the NC500 route since its introduction but reports from locals and other cyclists on here are of a significant increase in tourist traffic. In some respects you will be able to judge for yourself because initially your route between JOG and Bettyhill shares the same roads. I can confirm that the route through Strath Naver and alongside Loch Naver is delightful, as is the slightly longer alternative via Tongue. And a visit to the Crask Inn is a must.
kwdoland

Re: Safest path(?) from Oban to Glasgow?

Post by kwdoland »

Wow! What a response, Norman! I appreciate the degree of detail that you have provided us (and everybody else that happens to read this thread).
We have flights booked from western Canada on August 14 into Glasgow and are allowing 6 weeks for the JOGLE cycle. We may even have time for some hiking along the Cornwall coast...
Thanks for everything!
K