My new purchase.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
drossall

Re: My new purchase.

Post by drossall »

I fixed a couple of the neighbours' kids' bikes that were like that, some years ago now. Not mail order though, a certain toy store with a reversed letter in its name. When it happened the second time, it started to look like a pattern.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

drossall wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 5:40pmNot mail order though, a certain toy store with a reversed letter in its name.
Did you offer to correct that as well?

: - )

Jonathan
peetee

Post by peetee »

drossall wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 5:40pm Not mail order though, a certain toy store with a reversed letter in its name.
That’s where I had my first job as a bike mechanic but I was far too clued in to make mistakes like that.
My claim to fame there was to evacuate the building of staff and customers after I set off the fire alarms with an inflatable dolphin.
No, I couldn’t figure it out either, then or now!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
drossall

Post by drossall »

My recollection from decades ago may not be entirely accurate. However, it is of That's Life, or a similar consumer programme, running a successful campaign against Raleigh for declining to sell their products via mail order companies (would have been the big catalogue names in those days). The company's argument was that it wouldn't be safe because machines would not be assembled correctly. That argument lost and the law was used to force them to drop restrictive sales practices.

A few years later, the same programme or another was running an item condemning Raleigh for the number of accidents suffered by consumers on improperly-assembled mail-order machines :roll:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

peetee wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 7:06pm
drossall wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 5:40pm Not mail order though, a certain toy store with a reversed letter in its name.
That’s where I had my first job as a bike mechanic but I was far too clued in to make mistakes like that.
My claim to fame there was to evacuate the building of staff and customers after I set off the fire alarms with an inflatable dolphin.
No, I couldn’t figure it out either, then or now!
Hi Flipper :lol:
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

drossall wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 7:20pm My recollection from decades ago may not be entirely accurate. However, it is of That's Life, or a similar consumer programme, running a successful campaign against Raleigh for declining to sell their products via mail order companies (would have been the big catalogue names in those days). The company's argument was that it wouldn't be safe because machines would not be assembled correctly. That argument lost and the law was used to force them to drop restrictive sales practices.

A few years later, the same programme or another was running an item condemning Raleigh for the number of accidents suffered by consumers on improperly-assembled mail-order machines :roll:

I'd say they had the second story written before the first.
I am here. Where are you?
slowster

Post by slowster »

drossall wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 7:20pm My recollection from decades ago may not be entirely accurate. However, it is of That's Life, or a similar consumer programme, running a successful campaign against Raleigh for declining to sell their products via mail order companies (would have been the big catalogue names in those days). The company's argument was that it wouldn't be safe because machines would not be assembled correctly. That argument lost and the law was used to force them to drop restrictive sales practices.

I suspect that is a distortion of what really happened, and that the safety argument was really just a pretext for 'resale price maintenance', which was - and remains - generally prohibited under competition law.
drossall

Post by drossall »

That's possible, who knows, but I'm still not sure that both complaints can stand. It has to be one or the other.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This had me thinking of Stihl garden/ landscape tools. I'm pretty sure that until quite recently, they strongly discouraged mail order. Some years ago I bought a Viking long-reach hedge trimmer in the days when Viking was the Stihl brand for mains electric tools. It was only possible to buy it from an approved stockist and included quite a detailed instruction session covering safety and maintenance. I had to make an appointment or rather, I was only able to collect it at a time when the approved instructor was available. If this was a price maintenance wheeze, I can only say that a nice cash discount was readily agreed but I don't think I would have got the tool off their premises without the instruction session.

I've just been on the Stihl site to check this and the situation seems less clear in that part of their range is in their online shop. I wonder if a combination of the growing demand for mail order and social distancing has pushed them
slowster

Post by slowster »

drossall wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 5:10pm That's possible, who knows
https://vlex.co.uk/vid/raleigh-uk-ltd-v-793340801
Raleigh had itself, in the early 1980s, been subject to an adverse finding by the Monopolies and Mergers Commission as to an attempt to impose Resale Price Maintenance.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Even if they were found "guilty", does that affect the principle? You can either have bikes sold freely and competitively mail order for home assembly, or you can emphasise the safety aspects of ensuring that bikes delivered to consumers are assembled properly. But you can't entirely have both, which is what the consumer programmes tried to do. And you certainly can't enforce the former, whether rightly or wrongly, on a manufacturer, and then blame the same firm for the entirely predictable consequences.

Which you think is more important is a somewhat different issue. As things stand, our law has chosen the first and companies should obey it.
slowster

Post by slowster »

drossall wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 6:22pm You can either have bikes sold freely and competitively mail order for home assembly, or you can emphasise the safety aspects of ensuring that bikes delivered to consumers are assembled properly. But you can't entirely have both, which is what the consumer programmes tried to do. And you certainly can't enforce the former, whether rightly or wrongly, on a manufacturer, and then blame the same firm for the entirely predictable consequences.
Raleigh were willing to sell bikes to the mail order companies, but they were requiring the mail order companies to sign contracts undertaking not to discount prices below those set by Raleigh. It had absolutely nothing to do with safety.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Ah, that's different. It was memory from a long time ago.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Just spotted this locally for sale. What is it about subways. Must have all been assembled by the same person. :shock:

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Carrera swb. If it was good enough for Enzo...