Lidl bike bits - panniers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LittleGreyCat

Lidl bike bits - panniers

Post by LittleGreyCat »

There are some bike bits in Lidl at the moment.

I chanced across some silver reflective panniers which looked for visibility especially at night.

I haven't tried them on the bikes yet, but they look promising.
Allegedly 19 litres each, and with rain covers.
[Which presumably take away the benefits of the reflective material.]
Well, unpacked them and the rain cover is zipped into the base.
There is a reinforcing piece which gives them shape.

Good for shopping or day ride, by the looks of them.
Not robust enough for touring (in my opinion).
Worth a punt for me at £12.99.
simonhill

Re: Lidl bike bits - panniers

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for the info, but I can't see them on their website so probably some left-overs.

Sound good for 13 quid - enjoy.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

all the Lidl panniers I've ever seen have had very unconvincing looking fastenings - don't look durable. And a problem to sort any breakages. So can't help but think very bad value at any price.
I buy lots of other stuff from Lidl.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote: 22 Jan 2022, 8:36am all the Lidl panniers I've ever seen have had very unconvincing looking fastenings - don't look durable. And a problem to sort any breakages. So can't help but think very bad value at any price.
I buy lots of other stuff from Lidl.
I have a set of triple panniers from Lidl that attach using the rack spring clip. Must be 15 years old at least. Would buy again. I have had singles that lasted only a few months before the sprung rail clips failed, so I won't buy more of them, or would mentally add £9ish per bag for add-on ortlieb clips.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

I had a look at these panniers. Lots still in stock. They looked OK but the fabric didn't look like it'd last. Definitely for shopping only, not for touring. Also they have a strange warning that "unwrapped food" must not be transported in the panniers. What? Why not?? Are they made of lead or uranium???

Having said that, I've had a couple of the last year's versions. One set is still going, the other fell apart the first time I used it.

Lidls used to be great but I do think their quality standards have slipped slightly, e.g. you used to get a 3 year guarantee on everything, now it's down to 2 years on some stuff and 0 on others...!