mattheus

Re: Highway Code revisions: Consultation complete and Government response published

Post by mattheus »

axel_knutt wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 1:25pm
Motorists always have ignored the H/C when it suits, and they're on Twitter now announcing that they still will.
What, ALL of them?
ratherbeintobago

Re: Highway Code revisions: Consultation complete and Government response published

Post by ratherbeintobago »

mattheus wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 1:50pm
axel_knutt wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 1:25pm
Motorists always have ignored the H/C when it suits, and they're on Twitter now announcing that they still will.
What, ALL of them?
Well, a goodly number of them. How much the Highway Code applies near Chelyabinsk is another question, of course.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Stevek76 wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 12:56pm Turning traffic has always had to yield to ahead bound traffic unless otherwise indicated, there's nothing new with the changes in the 5th panel, the new HC is simply clarifying the existing situation.
Not true. The highway code has always been clear that you should not overtake on the approach to a junction.

Now it has always been the case that you should stop for pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road you are turning into, but not that overtaking vehicles coming from behind had priority. We have always been advised to do a shoulder check just before turning right just in case an agressive moron coulldn't wait. That didn't mean the agressive moron had priority.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

axel_knutt wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 1:25pm Re: diagram 5

The new rule (right) isn't doing much other than collating and clarifying what's already in the H/C (left), yet like the rest of the stuff currently being spouted,
Well the cyclists in the picture are depicted flouting rule 167.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mattheus wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 11:43amSo can we agree not to argue about the wrong versions until when the correct version comes in on the 29th?
Good idea.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sorry not read the whole post yet :P

But last night was a very typical ride on the bike in the dark over mixed surfaces on road, cycle routes, cycle paths (shared spaces)-

I go out and see road closed signs down a tarmac lane.....which I ignore because,
1 Its dark and previously there has been some drain cleaning operators not blocking the road so I think thats OK, no a sight of any road works etc just signs some abandoned in hedge.
2 If road is blocked I will cycle back and go another way / walk.

Get on an off road shared cycle path well lit and as wide as one car lane (actually a cycle/shared path bridge which is flood lit).
Spy a walker on phone with two dogs (neither has any reflective / lamps, bridge leads to non lighted hedged wide path, you need lights to see).
I move far left and walker goes far my right.
Unfortunately one dog walks into my path (I am doing 3-5 mph uphill over bridge, I can walk at 4mph up hill pushing a loaded bike easy).
Other dog walks into middle of path.
I have to stop not to run over dog, but keep both feet up, wind my way carefully through the dogs, at which point walker mumbles "sorry" quitely.................I stop and say....."perhaps have dogs on lead (I am sure its now a local order to do so on shared / cycle paths) and I won't have to stop next time"..........silence.
I am sure its not to much to ask a walker in the comparative dark, even though that bit we met was well lit, with no reflective or lamp and two dogs with no reflective and lamp, no leads and on phone to be more responsible.
I loved my dogs enough to put Myself Always! In-between any moving object and my dogs.
Some people still walk dogs on road with dog nearest traffic :evil:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.53280 ... 312!8i6656

I get to another cycle path bridge over the A38 at near drumbridges roundabout.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.57444 ... e3!5m1!1e3
Roadworks on the A38 and lanes closed, up till now I have had no problem getting past on cycle path.
But last night, a big truck parked full on cycle path, a small gap just wide enough for handlebars to fit, I squeeze through and carry on.

Get to disused railway which is a shared path, trees are full canopy so dark and its unlit night.
The colour of the surface varies with weather, so its possible that peoples clothing will match the surface.
Even with very good lights One handlebar one helmet mounted.
Problem is on a bike you are required to use lights and be a fool not to when its dark, so your eyes are not acclimatised to dark but a pedestrian with no lights are better.
They can see lights coming towards them but cyclist spotting a ped with full camo gear is not, (yes full camouflage on a dark tree covered cycle path no reflective / light, past tense)
At a length no more than your lounge I spot some vague figure.....'s, lucky they are not my side of railway track, clothing is the colour of matching surface.

I carry on to a junction ( I am entering in a few seconds) Car comes out but does not stop and speeds off in front of me, a car then follows without stopping to give way to me.................. :evil:

I get back to A38-
This is the place vehicle is parked on the cycle path, not actual vehicle, bus in picture on road is on the closed to traffic road, this pic is from incident before (cycle path, green line not shown, view in my pic is looking SW on google).
SDC13571.JPG
I manage to scoot through as hedge and road works truck are too close to cycle through.
Engine is running, so I peek through passenger window, guy on phone, winds window down.
I say "I am struggling to get through you are blocking the path" He apologises but says "You could of passed on the road other side, I cant park on road as it is closed and I am not permitted to park as other works vehicles need access"
I say you could of parked more responsively .........(he could of parked further forward and cleared the hedge so i could get through easily) .............he repeats his apology...................I say that's not good enough.....silence so I say that's life and move on.

So blocking pavement / cycle path shared path etc.
Parking on said path.
Engine running whilst on phone and not safely parked..............well you could ignore other path users.
Expecting me to leave path and ride on a road that is closed for works to get around said vehicle.

Moving on I get back to town and have to negotiate a large roundabout, I wait patiently for numerous cars who are approaching on my right whilst they are signalling right (their right) two cars exit left before they get to me with no indication / whilst signalling the opposite direction :?

Will things get any better..................no chance.............I will just continue to do what I have always done, keep safe and don't inconvenience others at my convenience.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pete Owens wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 3:47pm
axel_knutt wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 1:25pm Re: diagram 5

The new rule (right) isn't doing much other than collating and clarifying what's already in the H/C (left), yet like the rest of the stuff currently being spouted,
Well the cyclists in the picture are depicted flouting rule 167.
Or, more likely, the motorist is part way through an ill-considered overtake.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Rule 66 again. Having now read the British Cycling blog on this issue I hope I'm wrong but in my view the change is not an improvement as it implies an "expectation" that cyclists will stop if a car behind is held up. I accept that that is not what they were trying to achieve and the British Cycling suggestion was far better but us regular cyclists who face this all the time will I fear suffer more abuse not less.
Jdsk

Re: Highway Code revisions: Now implemented 29 January 2022

Post by Jdsk »

And it's live.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 29 Jan 2022, 9:53am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

brianleach wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 8:06am Rule 66 again. Having now read the British Cycling blog on this issue I hope I'm wrong but in my view the change is not an improvement as it implies an "expectation" that cyclists will stop if a car behind is held up. I accept that that is not what they were trying to achieve and the British Cycling suggestion was far better but us regular cyclists who face this all the time will I fear suffer more abuse not less.
I don't expect a dramatic change.

But how did you handle this in the past as the person on the bike?

Thanks

Jonathan
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Unless I'm mistaken, BBC Breakfast has just demonstrated that it doesn't understand the new rules about giving priority to crossing pedestrians.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a vehicle turning out of a T-junction has no responsibility to give priority to a pedestrian crossing the main road.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Rule H2
Rule for drivers, motorcyclists, horse drawn vehicles, horse riders and cyclists

At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... y-code.pdf

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

DaveReading wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 9:46am Unless I'm mistaken, BBC Breakfast has just demonstrated that it doesn't understand the new rules about giving priority to crossing pedestrians.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a vehicle turning out of a T-junction has no responsibility to give priority to a pedestrian crossing the main road.
Until we have self-driving vehicles, any responsibility rests with the driver. Then I think there are no circumstances where road users have "no responsibility to give priority to a pedestrian" as in "freedom to ignore their presence."
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

BBC Radio 4 News this morning stated that changes allow cyclists to cycle down the middle of the road. But bulletin 1 hr later said same except road became lane so I assume they had some angry phone calls.

Ian
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 9:55am
DaveReading wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 9:46am Unless I'm mistaken, BBC Breakfast has just demonstrated that it doesn't understand the new rules about giving priority to crossing pedestrians.

Until we have self-driving vehicles, any responsibility rests with the driver. Then I think there are no circumstances where road users have "no responsibility to give priority to a pedestrian" as in "freedom to ignore their presence."
Point taken about driver/vehicle.

"Give priority to ..." and "ignore ...", while mutually exclusive, are not collectively exhaustive.