which rear light clips to saddlebag?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Bill D

which rear light clips to saddlebag?

Post by Bill D »

Both my saddlebags (tiny and quite small) have loops for clipping a rear light to. I don't cycle after dark on purpose, but I'm looking for a cheap LED rear light which will clip on to these bag loops, just to use as a backup/emergency light in case I get a puncture or something and can't get home in daylight. The problem is that it isn't at all clear from website pictures whether the lights have any suitable clip behind them. Can anyone suggest anything please? Thanks Bill
diapason

Post by diapason »

Most of the Cateye lights include a clip which goes through the bag loops and holds a 'standard' Cateye light. So, you can use the same light, mounted on the bike or on your bag. My LBS sells the brackets separately for about £3.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

These do,and they are very bright (and light).
"42"
woollee23

Post by woollee23 »

I use a Blackburn Mars 2 light on my saddlebag. A bright light with a large surface area to ensure you get seen, and three modes (two flashing) to choose from.

An integrated clip attaches the light to the LED tags on the saddlebag.

Only downside is that you'll need an Allen Head screwdriver to change the batteries, but the upside is that battery life is pretty good, especially in flashing mode.

It's been superceded by the Mars 3&4 which are smaller, brighter and pricier.

Yours for a tenner from: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bla ... d-ec006865
woollee23

Post by woollee23 »

[quote="diapason"]Most of the Cateye lights include a clip which goes through the bag loops and holds a 'standard' Cateye light. So, you can use the same light, mounted on the bike or on your bag. My LBS sells the brackets separately for about £3.

N[/quote]

I tried one of these clips on a Cat Eye AU100 attached to a rack bag.

Last autumn I rode over a bump in the road, whereupon the light flew off the bracket, landed on the road, and was promptly run over by a Corsa. The bracket, however remained in place, so at least that's well made :lol:

My earlier recommendation has light and clip combined, and has been faithful to me for the last 3 months since this, ahem, mishap.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

One of the cheaper Cateye LED rear lights has a clip that will allow it to attach to a bag tab, the light clips into the seat post bracket that it is supplied with.

Paul_Smith
Touring Tips
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
NewHorizon

Post by NewHorizon »

+1 for the Smart light - have several of 'em and they're great. The rear face has a spring clip, which is fine for saddlebags or clothing or Sam Browne's, and which also clips into the supplied bracket.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=14821
smart 7 LED I clip one to ne bag and one to my pocket
NUKe

Post by ris »

another +1 for the smart 1/2 watt. terrific little light which i could swear was visible from space.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Well if you want small...I keep the Topeak redlite in my saddle bag and forget about until emergency's, it's compact & about £7-8 , comes with attachments for the seat post, seat stay(both tool free, like a big stretchy band) and clip for saddlebag loops. (the clip has teeth so it doesn't jump out of the bag loop, unlike my cateye!)

http://www.topeak.com/products/Lights/RedLite

Only problem I find is the on button can easily be accidentally pressed while in the saddle bag, but you can remove the batteries to stop that happening, tool free, again.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Bear in mind that many (most) LED lights are very directional, and if the light is clipped to a bag it won't be pointing back at the traffic.
Go for one that has a wide spread over one that looks bright when you point it at your face.

If you get one and want to check, fit it, shake the bike about a bit, and then check how bright it looks from 50 yards down the road.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Quick tip......

DRill a small hole (very carefully) through the rear "blade" of the clip ensuring that you don't damage the light casing.

Then fit a small loop of fishing twine through this hole and loop itthrough the bag loop.

Many of these clips can become loose and this means it stays attached by the lop rather than lying on the road!
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

When I was a commuter ,I used a cateye led clipped to rear "strap" on my helmet. Just a different position same idea.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Cunobelin wrote:Quick tip......

DRill a small hole (very carefully) through the rear "blade" of the clip ensuring that you don't damage the light casing.

Then fit a small loop of fishing twine through this hole and loop itthrough the bag loop.

Many of these clips can become loose and this means it stays attached by the lop rather than lying on the road!

I now do a similar thing but with a large elastic band wrapped over and under the clip so it can't slip off.

Also so get the light on the bag facing toward traffic, if it's a problem, I wedge a bit of card in between the bag and light....that or adjust the way the saddlebag hangs.

I don't know if this appeals to you but I've got home on these before....
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8749

if you have room on you seat post?
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

I use the Tesco rear lights on all my bikes. They come with a seatpost bracket though I've got them on the saddlebag loops. Think they cost £3.99. Put two on each bike (more if you like),job done.

If they only last a year,you can't complain. Though the one I binned' recently lasted five years,then the switch packed up. They're nice and bright,have three modes,what more do you want?