1" headset? Cheap and cheerful or tange?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
iandusud

Re: 1" headset? Cheap and cheerful or tange?

Post by iandusud »

Pneumant wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 8:03pm
KM2 wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 8:46am Changing a headset requires quite a lot of effort, not something you want to do very often.
Buy a better one and protect the lower race from spray. Mudguards or cut down old inner tube or condom.
Not so difficult with good tools, headset demise is usually caused by poor adjustment and lack of lubrication, even cheap headsets last if adjusted and lubed. Having guards makes a massive difference to life and am aware that MTB headsets survive when protected with secondary DIY seals. Not so sure about the use of a cutdown condom though?!
bgnukem wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 2:53pm Stronglight A9 was not well sealed but used to have excellent replaceable needle roller bearings and steel race rings separate from the cups. The current version has cartridge ball bearings though so not sure if as good as the original design.

The old aluminium version was criticised back in the day for being a bit flexible, which it was, when compared to a decent Campag headset which gives a bike a solid feeling front end.
bgnukem wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 2:53pm Stronglight A9 was not well sealed but used to have excellent replaceable needle roller bearings and steel race rings separate from the cups. The current version has cartridge ball bearings though so not sure if as good as the original design.
I have a 5 or 6yr old black A9 steel headset which is fitted with proper ball races. I guess they have since changed the design? I rate the one I have and it seems pretty well sealed (on a bike with guards) and is very smooth running.
Back in the 80s and early 90s when I was fitting lots of headsets my experience of the Sronglight A9 was as you describe and I stopped stocking them for that reason. My preference and recommendation to customers was to either fit a Tange Levin, which was relatively cheap but very good quality, or a Campag Record if budget allowed. Interestingly my wife and I still regularly use our daily bikes, one fitted with a Tange Levin the other with a Campag Record and they're still performing perfectly after over 30 years of use with nothing other than being regreased a couple of times over the years (I can't actually remember having done it but I probably have).
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

It depends if you are paying someone to fit it. If you are, buy a Tange Falcon. Cartridge bearings (same as Cane Creek so spares are available), very good quality. If you are fitting it yourself, a cheap one is ok. If you are fitting it yourself with bad tools (a hammer and a block of wood), a cheap steel one is best.
rjb

Post by rjb »

rogerzilla wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 7:47am It depends if you are paying someone to fit it. If you are, buy a Tange Falcon. Cartridge bearings (same as Cane Creek so spares are available), very good quality. If you are fitting it yourself, a cheap one is ok. If you are fitting it yourself with bad tools (a hammer and a block of wood), a cheap steel one is best.
Looks like Tange have used the falcon name on various headsets. My spare has balls like this one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Tang ... 635-2958-0
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
AnnaStravard

Post by AnnaStravard »

The Tange Levin is I but not the quality it used to be.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I've a Tange I bought 8 years ago, silky smooth still and just as good as Campagnolo at 4x the price.
pq

Post by pq »

I always got on well with needle bearing A9s, but apparently more recent versions don't have the needle bearings. I remember reading a thread where the most knowledgable guy ever to post here, Brucey, wrote at length about why they were terrible, and I'm more inclined to believe what he said than my own experience with, I think 2, maybe 3 A9s.

There are some good recommendations in this thread for budget headsets with high quality cartridge bearings, which is what I'd be going for in your shoes.
One link to your website is enough. G
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

rjb wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 8:36am
rogerzilla wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 7:47am It depends if you are paying someone to fit it. If you are, buy a Tange Falcon. Cartridge bearings (same as Cane Creek so spares are available), very good quality. If you are fitting it yourself, a cheap one is ok. If you are fitting it yourself with bad tools (a hammer and a block of wood), a cheap steel one is best.
Looks like Tange have used the falcon name on various headsets. My spare has balls like this one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Tang ... 635-2958-0
FL250C, to be specific. But you need good tools to fit one, as it's light alloy. A poor quality 32mm headset spanner will mess it up.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

pq wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 3:33pm I always got on well with needle bearing A9s, but apparently more recent versions don't have the needle bearings. I remember reading a thread where the most knowledgable guy ever to post here, Brucey, wrote at length about why they were terrible, and I'm more inclined to believe what he said than my own experience with, I think 2, maybe 3 A9s.

There are some good recommendations in this thread for budget headsets with high quality cartridge bearings, which is what I'd be going for in your shoes.
A9 headsets work ok. The loose race inserts accommodate the flexing of the steerer, which is what kills headsets (unless rust does). They don't turn quite as freely as a ball headset, the stack height is too much for many frames, and the sealing could be better. Ultimately, though, the needle bearing approach is unnecessary. The key thing is to have races that can move with respect to the pressed-in cups, something cartridge headsets also do nicely.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Tange Levin, Seiki or Passage get my votes.
Loose balls, waterproof grease & mudguards, & it will outlive you!
I had a Velo Orange needle bearing one that I could never get just right, was either too loose or too tight. Hence I like the almost fit and forget of the Tange.
Best wishes,
Luke