Europe 2022

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Europe 2022

Post by simonhill »

According to Schengenvisainfo News, the EU have decided to time limit Vaccination Certificates to 9 months from last jab.

If COVID situation eases as summer comes round, then hopefully Certs won't be needed and this won't be a problem....but
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I would not count on a relaxation of the requirement. It is nine months because at the moment e.g. four months would exclude too many people at short notice. However, it makes sense to reduce the validity, given what we now know about the time it takes for protection to go down significantly. Some countries already use far shorter periods than nine months, and in the Netherlands you are entitled to a booster shot after only three months. I guess after the current booster campaign the waiting will be for the new Omikron versions of the vaccines. From what I understand they will be ready by late March, and available in bulk by the early Summer.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 6:53pm According to Schengenvisainfo News, the EU have decided to time limit Vaccination Certificates to 9 months from last jab.

If COVID situation eases as summer comes round, then hopefully Certs won't be needed and this won't be a problem....but
I may be wrong (so please do correct me) but isn't the time limit set on the primary dose (2 for most, 1 for e.g. Jansen) and that the booster does not yet have any limits set as there is not enough data on how long its effects last.

I claim no expertise on this so please do correct me (and I'll edit the above appropriately as I don't want to spread misinformation).

Ian
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

From what I understand the booster resets the clock, at least for now. I would expect the time limit to be reduced in future, but that will depend on condtions and new data. We have abandoned our plan to tour in Andalusia in late March/early April, and moved our holiday to June and probably a different destination because Andalusia will be too hot for comfort in the summer. We may have to get a fourth jab before we go, if available. Time will tell.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 11:26am I may be wrong (so please do correct me) but isn't the time limit set on the primary dose (2 for most, 1 for e.g. Jansen) and that the booster does not yet have any limits set as there is not enough data on how long its effects last.
willem jongman wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 11:31am From what I understand the booster resets the clock, at least for now.
It's complicated. There are multiple different outcomes (infection, serious illness, hospitalisation, death, transmission) and multiple laboratory medicine markers (antibody concentration, neutralising antibody concentration, T cell activity, viral load) and clinical metrics (research studies, whole population statistics). So there aren't necessarily clear answers even as experience with each variant accumulates.

Fortunately we have access to experts.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Ian,

As far as I know the 9 months starts from the last/latest jab.

Quote from article:

"By February 1, all the EU and Schengen countries are set to put an expiry date of nine months at most for all COVID-19 vaccination certificates, the validity of which can be extended as soon as travellers have their booster shots administered."

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/a ... eu-travel/

As Willem says, some countries can set their own. Malta has just announced 3 months.

I'm not sure if schengenvisainfo is an official site, but it carries lots of useful info and news. It pops up on my newsfeed regularly as Mr Google knows I'm interested in it.
Last edited by simonhill on 13 Jan 2022, 1:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 1:29pm Ian,

As far as I know the 9 months starts from the last/latest jab.

Quote from article:

"By February 1, all the EU and Schengen countries are set to put an expiry date of nine months at most for all COVID-19 vaccination certificates, the validity of which can be extended as soon as travellers have their booster shots administered."

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/a ... eu-travel/

As Willem says, some countries can set their own. Malta has just announced 3 months.

I'm not sure if schengenvisainfo is an official site , but it carries lots of useful info and news. It pops up on my newsfeed regularly as Mr Google knows I'm interested in it.
Just found
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_6837 wrote:As of yet, no standard acceptance period will apply to certificates issued following the administration of booster doses, given that sufficient data regarding the period of protection is not yet available.
It might be a longer term issue (even affecting this summer) as some in UK have been talking about no further boosters except for vulnerable as they say we can't go on boosting forever. OK if that is accepted across EU as well but UK has shown itself very happy to go out on a complete limb.

Without wanting to turn this into the Covid thread, I wonder if the duration of booster effect could mean ongoing boosters are required but UK (some) talking about not going there
https://theconversation.com/covid-why-t-cell-vaccines-could-be-the-key-to-long-term-immunity-174494 wrote:COVID antibodies don’t persist that well – hence the desire for boosters. Indeed, while these extra jabs maintain good protection against severe COVID, it’s estimated that people receiving a third dose of the Pfizer vaccine will see their protection against developing COVID symptoms (of any degree) drop from 75% to 45% over the ten weeks following their booster.
And "immunity" is more complex that antibody levels ...

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Ian,

Your article is dated 21/12/22/1.

Mine, 11/1/22 and it also gives a forward implementation date of Feb 22.

Possible/probable change of policy?

Take your pick.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 1:44pm Ian,

Your article is dated 21/12/22/1.

Mine, 11/1/22 and it also gives a forward implementation date of Feb 22.

Take your pick.
I don't think they conflict. Mine is europa.eu which is maybe more definitive but both say that a booster extends the validity and neither say by how much, although the europa one says not yet enough data tosay how long for (in effect).

Ian
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

At least France is now opening up to the Uk again. I’ve been thinking about going for a shorter lead time on my travels given who knows what’s around the corner and doing something non UK for the first week in May.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

willem jongman wrote: 13 Jan 2022, 11:31am From what I understand the booster resets the clock, at least for now.
I meant administratively. It was and remains anybody's guess how long protection remains with the current vaccine and the current virus variant, and how good is good enough. My hunch is that few countries will launch another major booster campaign until a new vaccine is available (vulnerable groups excepted). I also expect that a boost will be required for more or less unimpeded travel. Irrespective of any regulations common sense suggests that travelling without is unwise.
pal

Post by pal »

Andrew-l wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 10:51am ...
Except that Eurostar are still not accepting bikes ...
https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-i ... gage/bikes

I wonder if they ever will again?
Some promising news in today's Cycling UK email (still no definite date, though...): https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/cycle ... e-eurostar
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pal wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 6:14pm

Some promising news in today's Cycling UK email (still no definite date, though...): https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/cycle ... e-eurostar
It is: fully assembled option and single booking process.

: - )

Jonathan
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 6:24pm
pal wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 6:14pm

It is: fully assembled option and single booking process.

: - )

Jonathan
That is good news. I was just starting to think about getting back from Narbonne by train and ferry rather than my pre-covid plan on the trains.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

In Simon Calder's weekly news thingy, he predicts a landslide of restriction lifting as tourist destinations open up and compete with each other.

Its already started. Portugal just announced that no test needed to enter if you are jabbed. Spain doing away with masks outdoors.

One thing is that the need for jabs less than 270 days old is pretty much essential for (easy) travel, so this means a booster for most.

Let's go..............................