Is it worth cashing in my touring bikes.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
puffin

Is it worth cashing in my touring bikes.

Post by puffin »

I'm hankering after a touring bike with disc brakes. I currently have a 1980's Galaxy, a five year old Spa Tourer with dynamo lights, and a (aproximately) ten year old Galaxy Ultra. Does anyone reckon it would be worth me selling them and getting a disc brake tourer, like the Spa D'Tour (which seems a bit pricy)?
Attachments
20220128_163352.jpg
PH

Re: Is it worth cashing in my touring bikes.

Post by PH »

Every time I see a nice touring bike for sale I wince at the low prices they fetch.
You'll decide for yourself if a new bike with discs is worth the investment, in the general scheme of things I don't consider even decent bikes to be expensive, just don't expect to recoup much of your investment in the current bikes.
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

advertise them free for students.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

You'll get a reasonable price for them in the spring if the current supply issues continue. All classics in their way which will help. Might be a bit of a market withe the trendy types as well as tourists. Doubt they will rise in value much so better now than never.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I think it's a case of three bikes versus one. If you want to downsize or free up space then definitely yes - all three might just gve you enough for a new one ... just. However on that basis I would be inclined to sell two and keep the best, forgoing the disc brakes.

But back to the three bikes argument: if you have the space then it's great to have more than one bike as they can serve different purposes, especially when one is designated the "daily" and another the "Sunday Best". Parts can be cascaded downwards and each bike shifted towards a more specific purpose.

Old bikes aren't really a luxury - their cash value is far below their usefulness so hanging onto them is often the best option. Space is usually the issue but in a garage a hanging bike is no space user at all. Life needs clarity so hanging onto stuff unnecessarily isn't wise but I don't think three bikes comes into that category. And you would have a spare bike to use while you are fiddling with the discs on your new one. :lol:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
nez

Post by nez »

I have the same problem. The trouble is they do different things. I have a Super Galaxy, a Koga eBike and a Specialized Roubaix. The Koga is my daily ride. But if I want to tour again (and I do) will I really take an eBike? And my Roubaix is the weighs-nothing thrash around country lanes in the summer. Mrs Nez of course doesn't see it like that. As for the Brompton folded up in a cupboard...
RickH

Post by RickH »

Have I found the perfect bike? No not quite... but close enough for me.

In 2017 I bought a Kona Sutra LTD intending it to primarily replace my, owned from new, 1986 Muddy Fox Explorer MTB. I thought of modifying the Muddy Fox with drop bars but, in the end opted for a new bike. I bought up some of the last stocks of 40mm Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres & fitted some to the Kona & found that it seemed to be as quick on the road as my Kinesis Tk road bike with 25mm tyres & it was definitely a more comfortable ride. For off road riding, or rides with a greater proportion of off road I bought a second set of wheels that are generally shod with WTB Nano 40s. In the winter one set of wheels can be left with studded tyres on when snowy or icy conditions are threatened so the choice of appropriate tyres can be made at short notice.

My Muddy Fox was stripped & the frame sold on. The Kinesis has since languished in the shed unridden (I really ought to do something with it). The Kona is now, apart from a tandem cum cargo bike (Circe Helios), just "my bike".

Unloaded the Kona is a match for the Kinesis & more comfortable, especially when the surface gets lumpy. It can handle off road at least as well as the Muddy fox did & doesn't feel like a bit of a slug riding any distance on the road. Even with the Hypers on the Kona is fine except in gloopy mud, & only a little bit less grippy on loose stuff. A ride of, say, 20 miles on road to explore some tracks & then ride home is now a pleasant ride. The Kona also has fittings for racks front and rear so is a better load carrier than either bike.

N-1+2W? :lol:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

puffin wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 5:09pm I'm hankering after a touring bike with disc brakes. I currently have a 1980's Galaxy, a five year old Spa Tourer with dynamo lights, and a (aproximately) ten year old Galaxy Ultra. Does anyone reckon it would be worth me selling them and getting a disc brake tourer, like the Spa D'Tour (which seems a bit pricy)?
Personally I would ride tourer with disc brakes and see if you like it. There's a few riders out there who don't. A tourer with disc brakes may have been fitted with a stronger frame because of the braking stresses which makes for a harsher ride experience...

..its also been rumoured that the next big cycling thing might be 'discless racers' (which are racing bikes with rim brakes, because..... the frames are more compliant, giving a better ride quality/ rider experience. It's only a small rumour at the moment... but if its true it would seem as if the bike industry which spent millions on telling us how great discs are, might be gearing up to tell us how great rim brakes... sorry I mean 'discless racers' are).

..if anyone has a copy of 'star bellied sneetches' by Dr Suess you'll know how this works out....
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Another issue to consider is whether you think the performance of disc brakes on a tourer are going to be better than your current rim brakes. Most forums have topics relating to underwhelming disc braking power with cable discs. This was my experience (on a commuting cyclocross bike) and I opted to convert to hydraulics. Not sure whether you would want hydraulics for touring - replacing a cable in the middle of nowhere is easier than repairing a leaky hose/calliper. It is possible that you find that your trade up on that front is disappointing. Weigh it up against the advantages of no rim wear, ability to continue riding with a buckle etc.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I am not able to ride now due to health.
However I can suggest. Do not get rid of your bikes simply for Discs! Keep them.
If you simply desire new bike/s, sell them and buy new.
But in my opinion there is nothing at all, wrong with rim brakes!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Spa do a disc braked tourer now. Why not just buy a set of their disc forks and fit to your current Spa. It's the front where you need the most power. Rim brake on the rear is more than adequate.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I've no idea of the differences between the D'Tour and the Wayfarer but I do own a Wayfarer that I built from the ground up. One option you have is to buy a frame and build it with your favourite parts from the other bikes. If they fit.
It's a nice handling frame but it is a bit sluggish. You'll not be shooting off from the lights like a rocket sled I assure you, but it is sooooooooo comfortable. With the right saddle and set up, 8 hours on this bike is no problem. I've had issues with shimy when carrying panniers on the forks. I've had numerous ideas on what may be causing it but I've yet to pin it down.
Disc brakes. Always causing a difference in opinion. My own experiences have been good.
I'm running Avid BB7s from tektro levers. I would say they are slightly more powerful than v brakes but have the advantage that they work equally well in the wet as in the dry, don't wear down the rims and a bent wheel won't (unless it's severe) put an end to a ride. They've been more than enough to control the bike down slopes of +20‰ fully loaded. I've had the same set of pads on it for 2 years running. Maybe 2000 miles worth of hilly riding. As I do most of my cycling whilst out with the mutt, I spend every descent braking as muttly can't keep up with me. Pads (Clarkes) and rotors look fine to me. I'm also using stock brake cables, not compressionless.
I've had hydraulic disc brakes before and they seem overkill for any sort of road/touring bike.

I should add that prior to the Wayfarer, I built a bike using Spas Touring frame. With the exception of smaller wheels (26") on the touring and the disc brakes, there is very little if any difference in handling between the bikes.
I'd say (if you can) go to spa and try the D'Tour out first if your only reason to "upgrade" is the brake.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Garry Booth

Post by Garry Booth »

Surely worth keeping one back as a spare for when the other is out of action?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The OP wrote: I'm hankering after a touring bike with disc brakes.

Maybe it might be useful for him to explain why he is hankering after disc brakes. Basing a new bike purely on the brakes seems a bit limiting.

Where is he planning on touring, loads, etc? Why is he not happy with the rim brakes?

.......................or is this just an excuse for a new bike (which is, of course, perfectly acceptable).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think OP's question is impossible to answer. Does he have space for another bike? or need the money from selling some to buy a new bike? or still use all the existing bikes? or have family that would use the existing bike(s)?

Question as to whether existing bikes have value i.e. how much are they worth? would be answerable but the asked question is totally personal and minimal background info given.

Ian