Fat inner tubes Schrader FULL threaded

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tenbikes

Fat inner tubes Schrader FULL threaded

Post by tenbikes »

Does anyone know where I might find 26x4 tubes with Schrader [car] valves with a full thread on the valves like a presta?

LBS has drawn a blank, but I know they exist 'cos I have one...but want two more!

Someone in the trade?

cheers
Jdsk

Re: Fat inner tubes Schrader FULL threaded

Post by Jdsk »

tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

They are not listing them but I've dropped them an email: perhaps they will know.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can I ask why you want them like that?

I've not seen any full-threaded Schrader for yonks.
Mick F. Cornwall
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

Without the locking effect of the nut the tubes rotate in the tyre at low pressure. Fat bikes off road use c5 psi. Sub 3psi in snow.

Presta valves are a poor alternative. Too fragile to use with gloves. I have broken or otherwise damaged a few over the decades. Not many, but one resulted in a very long walk.

There are no benefits to presta once you are beyond very ( very) narrow rims. I have always drilled out to 8mms to fit schrader. Note that if you have the common rubber covered schrader valves it is necessary to drill to 8.5mms otherwise it is a struggle to get the valve through.

I have a good number of fully threaded schrader in ' road' sizes, but only the one in 4"

Normally the correct answer for fat bikes is to go tubeless. I have done this for five wheel sets but my other two have rims which won't set up tubeless without a lot of faff, and I mean a lot.......and in the event of a bad puncture which is beyond the ability of the sealant, the tyre would come off the rim in seconds. Hence the desire for tubes for these two sets.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Try the next size up. Either 27.5 or 29 dia. With a tyre that volume a slightly oversized inner tube is of no consequence.
Or, I would ask, what size are motorcycle wheels?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

tenbikes wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 9:22am Without the locking effect of the nut the tubes rotate in the tyre at low pressure. Fat bikes off road use c5 psi. Sub 3psi in snow.
Interesting.
We ran our quad bikes between 3&5 psi and initially used locked on valves but discovered the creep would eventually tear the tube from the valve. Ended up never locking the valve and yes they could end up at a funny angle and very occasionally going out of sight but all in all less trouble than locking them on.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

I'm not surprised that that happened in quad bikes, but in the case of a mere bicycle what seems to happen is that the tube does indeed get a stretch at the valve, but it 'pings' back at some stage.
So far I've not had any problems. But there is always tomorrow!
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

peetee wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 10:37am Try the next size up. Either 27.5 or 29 dia. With a tyre that volume a slightly oversized inner tube is of no consequence.
Or, I would ask, what size are motorcycle wheels?
27.5 does indeed work. But I can't find these fully threaded either .....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok, thanks.
I understand the reason for wanting them. Makes complete sense.

TBH, I reckon all Schrader valve bike tubes should come threaded.
The valve is mainly for vehicle use and they tend to be tubeless, so perhaps Mr Schrader only produces the one sort these days.

No excuse though.
Mick F. Cornwall
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Paulatic wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 10:47am
tenbikes wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 9:22am Without the locking effect of the nut the tubes rotate in the tyre at low pressure. Fat bikes off road use c5 psi. Sub 3psi in snow.
Interesting.
We ran our quad bikes between 3&5 psi and initially used locked on valves but discovered the creep would eventually tear the tube from the valve. Ended up never locking the valve and yes they could end up at a funny angle and very occasionally going out of sight but all in all less trouble than locking them on.
this is a problem in trials motor bikes, where the tyres are run at low pressure and there is a bit of power.
what really happens is the wheel rotates within the tyre and rips the valve out of the tube. Used to be a problem in powerful road motorbikes before the invention of grippy rubber.
The answer (for motorbikes) is a security bolt which clamps the tyre bead to the rim https://uk.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search? ... 2BzA%3D%3D