Sour Cherry Juice

Slowtwitch

Sour Cherry Juice

Post by Slowtwitch »

I've been trying this for nearly a month (it comes in concentrate liquid form, easy to dilute with water). It's supposed to ease inflammation, joint pain, aid restful sleep and act as a very powerful anti oxidant.

A lot of older sports stars swear by it. I can confirm that it really does ease joint pain, my knees have never been better, and after years of disturbed and disruptive sleep I've been sleeping the whole night through. For once I am really impressed by a supplement. It's not cheap, but it certainly does what it says on the tin.
simonineaston

Re: Sour Cherry Juice

Post by simonineaston »

Phew - thank goodness I'm not a sports star - although there's no doubt I am older!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
David2504

Post by David2504 »

Slowtwitch wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 9:38pm I've been trying this for nearly a month (it comes in concentrate liquid form, easy to dilute with water). It's supposed to ease inflammation, joint pain, aid restful sleep and act as a very powerful anti oxidant.

A lot of older sports stars swear by it. I can confirm that it really does ease joint pain, my knees have never been better, and after years of disturbed and disruptive sleep I've been sleeping the whole night through. For once I am really impressed by a supplement. It's not cheap, but it certainly does what it says on the tin.
Why does it have to be sour? Does sugar destroy these remarkable health benefits?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

David2504 wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 4:37pmWhy does it have to be sour? Does sugar destroy these remarkable health benefits?
The juice doesn't have to be sour! : - )

It is (or should be) made from the fruit of the sour cherry species, Prunus cerasus. (And especially the Montmorency variety.)

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

How well trialled has this been?
How much should one consume?
The price seems very variable - what does that imply? I've seen prices online from around £30 a litre to £0.00 ( Asda - I suppose that's an error but perhaps it's unpopular and they need the shelf space)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

As others have implied, I'd be highly sceptical of the health benefits of a specific supplement. Moreso of they're extremely wide ranging.

If you're into antioxidants, vitamin C is readily available in bulk powder at low cost (I use it as a flour improver in bread machines - very effective for wholemeal loaves).

OTOH, it seems unlikely it'll cause any harm, other than a relatively mild shrinkage of the bank balance.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There are a few clinical studies showing some anti-inflammatory activity.

I'd recommend using something that's been studied more extensively.

I wouldn't assume that it has no adverse effects. And that also goes for all products sold as containing "antioxidants".

Jonathan
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

The reason there's a wide variation in price is the same for every other well marketed supplement, from multivitamins to iron in corn flakes : when something becomes popular in the press or online, or even on Facebook there's a rush from shady suppliers to fill the bottom end of the consumer market with inferior product. Think 'Manuka honey', available from a fiver to £1200 for a 250gr tub!

My advice to sceptics is always the same, try it for yourself. All I can say is that the long term, infuriating joint pain I had is now completely gone and my very uncomfortable, disrupted sleep pattern is restored to normal.

This has obviously increased the quality of life I now enjoy. I find it amusing that people swear by other 'therapeutics' like regular exercise, vitamin D or even alcohol (none of which are free) and are unwilling to try even the simplest of natural remedies. I'm no huge fan of homeopathics, but I will give anything a try if there's a real world benefit to it.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Slowtwitch wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 4:29am The reason there's a wide variation in price is the same for every other well marketed supplement, from multivitamins to iron in corn flakes : when something becomes popular in the press or online, or even on Facebook there's a rush from shady suppliers to fill the bottom end of the consumer market with inferior product. Think 'Manuka honey', available from a fiver to £1200 for a 250gr tub!

My advice to sceptics is always the same, try it for yourself. All I can say is that the long term, infuriating joint pain I had is now completely gone and my very uncomfortable, disrupted sleep pattern is restored to normal.

This has obviously increased the quality of life I now enjoy. I find it amusing that people swear by other 'therapeutics' like regular exercise, vitamin D or even alcohol (none of which are free) and are unwilling to try even the simplest of natural remedies. I'm no huge fan of homeopathics, but I will give anything a try if there's a real world benefit to it.
Sounds like a recommendation for a life of handing over your folding to dodgy salesmen for substances which could easily cause as much harm as good.

Research shows that placebos work even when people are fully aware they're just a placebo.

So I'd recommend to pick something you really love (dark chocolate, red wine, blood orange juice, whatever floats your boat) and take that as a daily supplement. That way you get to enjoy it, it's just as likely to benefit you, and no charlatans are enriched.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 8:02am
Slowtwitch wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 4:29am The reason there's a wide variation in price is the same for every other well marketed supplement, from multivitamins to iron in corn flakes : when something becomes popular in the press or online, or even on Facebook there's a rush from shady suppliers to fill the bottom end of the consumer market with inferior product. Think 'Manuka honey', available from a fiver to £1200 for a 250gr tub!

Sounds like a recommendation for a life of handing over your folding to dodgy salesmen for substances which could easily cause as much harm as good.

Research shows that placebos work even when people are fully aware they're just a placebo.

So I'd recommend to pick something you really love (dark chocolate, red wine, blood orange juice, whatever floats your boat) and take that as a daily supplement. That way you get to enjoy it, it's just as likely to benefit you, and no charlatans are enriched.
Wise words - I'm currently medicating on dark chocolate, red wine and vit D.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's very difficult to determine either efficacy or safety of a treatment by trying it for yourself without blinding or controls. The biasses are pretty overwhelming.

(This is nothing to do with your right to try them if you want.)

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Classification into "natural" and "non-natural" treatments has nothing to do with whether they are effective or safe.

But there are some differences. Many "natural" products are less regulated than "medicines". This means that the amount of the chemical of interest can vary widely and there's usually no way of knowing. And it's well-recorded that "natural" products are sometimes laced with "non-natural" products of the pharmaceutical industry.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Slowtwitch wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 4:29amI find it amusing that people swear by other 'therapeutics' like regular exercise, vitamin D or even alcohol (none of which are free) and are unwilling to try even the simplest of natural remedies. I'm no huge fan of homeopathics, but I will give anything a try if there's a real world benefit to it.
They should all be treated the same and the same questions should be asked: what's the evidence on efficacy and safety?

Jonathan
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I'll try anything once, if it does me good.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Slowtwitch wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 4:30pm I'll try anything once, if it does me good.
Beecham excluded incest and country dancing.

Jonathan