The "Royals" Thread

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: The "Royals" Thread

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 4:22pmThat twitter account linked to got me thinking. Are there any legal twitterati making online clarifications from the Andy side of this? Whilst interesting twitter account she certainly makes it clear she's only going to post on matters that support the claimant. I mean with the nature of the claim you can understand it but no neutral legal twitter accounts on this case giving unbiased commentary?
The document just submitted by the defendant's lawyers:
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 3.71.0.pdf

Rozenberg's initial commentary:
https://rozenberg.substack.com/p/andrews-defence

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 7:14am
reohn2 wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 5:44pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 1:27pm .......The more I read the news (online) the more I am getting sick of the way they all can't just present the news without embellishment, exaggeration, hyperbole, lies, misdirection and many other dodgy and I'd hope uneccesary practises.
Penny's dropped then :wink:
Hey like politicians news media disillusioned me decades ago. We condemn Russian control of the news media but let's face it our media "freedoms" aren't working out much better. Who's to say which media is closest to the bottom of the barrel?
Yer not wrong,between the lines is where the truth sometimes lies.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 9:00am
I was watching QT last night and was taken aback by an attack from an audience member on Alison Phillips from The Mirror for exposing Downing Street wrongdoing - 'because Press and because the government has better things to do' (my soundbite summary!). Sometimes I find myself short of breath.
Me too.
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Turning to the important stuff

Andrew gives up membership at prestigious home of golf

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslond ... uxbndlbing

I had a look on the R&A's own www and never mind membership, he's still listed as the Royal Captain

https://www.randa.org/en/heritage/the-r ... l-captains

It's not easy to see how they will edit that page, even if they replace him.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

(I had to do a bit of googling to ensure my memory was right.)

It's no secret that golf has been very slow to accept women. One rather egregious (to use a fashionable word) example was the R&A and in particular, the reported treatment of Professor Louise Richardson, when she became the Principal of the nearby University of St Andrews in 2009. Traditionally, it seems that the university had enjoyed the hospitality of the golf club but that was denied to Prof Richardson as a woman. She even recounted how members had waggled their club ties at her to make their point. Women members were eventually begrudgingly accepted when the paymasters (sorry "sponsors") got edgy in 2014.

If Andy had used his Royal Captaincy to display a bit of leadership a couple of decades ago, things might have been different. I'm not saying they would have accepted women sooner, but if he'd publicly declined the leadership then, he'd not have had to make an embarrassing exit now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews ... cipal.html
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Tangled Metal wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 1:27pm .......The more I read the news (online) the more I am getting sick of the way they all can't just present the news without embellishment, exaggeration, hyperbole, lies, misdirection and many other dodgy and I'd hope uneccesary practises.
Hey like politicians news media disillusioned me decades ago. We condemn Russian control of the news media but let's face it our media "freedoms" aren't working out much better. Who's to say which media is closest to the bottom of the barrel?
Luckily, we all get to say! :- P

I'm happy to say that UK is much better than Russia in this respect. Still deeply flawed, but we should keep some perspective and be grateful for what we have, sometimes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 12:15pm

Luckily, we all get to say! :- P

I'm happy to say that UK is much better than Russia in this respect. Still deeply flawed, but we should keep some perspective and be grateful for what we have, sometimes.
I'm always grateful when turds are served up for breakfast,lunch and dinner.......
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Whilst Neil Young takes a stand against Covid misinformation against Spotify (as a significant impact to streaming income), Prince Harry and his Stepford Wife (also on one of Spotify's big names) remains silent and continues to use the platform. So Harry still placeing his own income above the general good.

Ian
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Psamathe wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 10:39pm Whilst Neil Young takes a stand against Covid misinformation against Spotify (as a significant impact to streaming income), Prince Harry and his Stepford Wife (also on one of Spotify's big names) remains silent and continues to use the platform. So Harry still placeing his own income above the general good.
Ian
Good on him I say.Doing what they want and not what they're told to do by the rest of the family!
(As a side note IMO Kate is the Stepford wife.Always looks like a robot,dresses like a frumpy old woman and does exactly what she's told).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

P. Andrew demanding a jury trial shows how daft he (or his lawyers) are:
1. We saw how good he is answering questions when he did his well coached TV interview - complete disaster even though questions were not trying to catch him out (i.e. balanced and fair questions). How will he preform when faced with lawyers without restraint, determined to win their case whose livelihood is destroying the credibility of people giving evidence. Also a lot of questions were impossible on TV interview (e.g. about his body, sex life, etc.) but in court they will be fair game.

2. Did his lawyers see how well (or rather badly) he came across on the TV interview?

Although legal commentators say it is increasingly looking like he will end-up in court, I'd think he will be destroyed if he has to testify and I can't believe the Royal Family will allow it to happen (not after his TV interview disaster). But, as a Republican, it will be fun to watch if he does!

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Psamathe wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 10:39pm Whilst Neil Young takes a stand against Covid misinformation against Spotify (as a significant impact to streaming income), Prince Harry and his Stepford Wife (also on one of Spotify's big names) remains silent and continues to use the platform. So Harry still placeing his own income above the general good.
Too right.

The ungrateful barstewards still haven't brought peace to the world's war zones,
NOR have they cured cancer yet.
And they don't buy recycled loo paper.

Utterly useless human beings. :evil:
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Am I alone in detecting some sexist rhetoric in this thread; refences to "Stepford wives" and "frumpy old woman" ?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ANTONISH wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 9:06am Am I alone in detecting some sexist rhetoric in this thread; refences to "Stepford wives" and "frumpy old woman" ?
Yer not wrong!

She seems more like Diana2 to me,but then I'm no royalist.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 4:39pm
Too right.

The ungrateful barstewards still haven't brought peace to the world's war zones,
NOR have they cured cancer yet.
And they don't buy recycled loo paper.

Utterly useless human beings. :evil:
Plus one of 'em's the wrong colour :shock:
W H Auden