Mr Loophole plumbing the depths

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Chris Jeggo

Re: Mr Loophole plumbing the depths

Post by Chris Jeggo »

SupermanVsSnowman wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 7:23am...
You have a point. On one hand I still think bailiffs are going a bit far for an unpaid parking ticket. (what you describe sounds more like obstruction offences, danger to the public etc) ...
Are not the bailiffs going in to enforce an unpaid penalty, without much regard for what the penalty was for? If penalties can be ignored then they lose all their force and lawlessness results.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Chris Jeggo wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 4:23pm
SupermanVsSnowman wrote: 18 Dec 2021, 7:23am...
You have a point. On one hand I still think bailiffs are going a bit far for an unpaid parking ticket. (what you describe sounds more like obstruction offences, danger to the public etc) ...
Are not the bailiffs going in to enforce an unpaid penalty, without much regard for what the penalty was for? If penalties can be ignored then they lose all their force and lawlessness results.
Generally speaking councils won't use bailiffs unless they have to, simply due to the additional paperwork and sometimes it takes forever to get the money from them when the bailiff gets paid. So the guy whose caused the parking fine should receive in the following order (i) ticket on windscreen, advising of penalty, how to appeal the ticket and a lower fine if they pay in a certain amount of days (ii) letter to property advising that they have missed the opportunity to make payment at a lower rate and asking for full payment (iii) letter to advise that the ticket will go before court to allow for bailiff action and an invite for the person who has the fine to plead their case to the court.
However in some cases (ii) and (iii) may be combined.
If someone is parked badly how many chances should the council give him?
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Generally speaking councils won't use bailiffs unless they have to
My son was done for not displaying his permit. It was in the post as he went on holiday. His original permit finished before he returned and he got 4 tickets. He explained to the council and they said no problem, we'll recind the tickets. Unfortunately they only cancelled one of them by mistake and then pursued him for the other three. He tried several times to sort it out and then the Bailiffs arrived asking for £400. They were very pleasant and said sort it out with the council. The council were too inefficient to either understand or care less. Long story short they paid the bill to avoid the months of hassle and threats.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

cycle tramp wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 11:00pm :wink: ..perhaps if Mr Loophole wishes to make the roads safer he should stop defending motorists who have been caught breaking the law..

..the guy's clearly emotionally stunted, who probably feels physically and morally insecure whenever a cyclist passes him when he's stuck in a traffic jam..
Well, he's a lawyer, so that's a given. The easier it is to make money at something, the more mendacious and less competent those engaged in that something are. Anyone who has dealt with lawyers will know that they are dealing with legions of complete idiots asking for 200 quid an hour.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pliptrot wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 2:05pm
cycle tramp wrote: 15 Dec 2021, 11:00pm :wink: ..perhaps if Mr Loophole wishes to make the roads safer he should stop defending motorists who have been caught breaking the law..

..the guy's clearly emotionally stunted, who probably feels physically and morally insecure whenever a cyclist passes him when he's stuck in a traffic jam..
Well, he's a lawyer, so that's a given. The easier it is to make money at something, the more mendacious and less competent those engaged in that something are. Anyone who has dealt with lawyers will know that they are dealing with legions of complete idiots asking for 200 quid an hour.
Does that represent generalisations squared or x2?
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

My comments are consistent with every encounter I have had with civil lawyers(who are often anything but).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The main thing here is that Nick "Mr Loophole" Freeman, isn't active in the civil law (compo etc) He represents people suspected of/ charged with criminal offences.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pliptrot wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 7:27am My comments are consistent with every encounter I have had with civil lawyers(who are often anything but).
You represented them as the experiences of anyone who had dealt with lawyers.

They do not.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 28 Jan 2022, 9:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pliptrot wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 2:05pmAnyone who has dealt with lawyers will know that they are dealing with legions of complete idiots asking for 200 quid an hour.
I have never regretted seeking help from a lawyer nor resented the cost. Either at home or at work.

Jonathan
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

No doubt everyone has heard the story about a small town lawyer who was struggling to make a living until another lawyer moved into the town then they both got rich. The point being that you need two lawyers so everyone could then sue everyone else.
Last edited by Tiggertoo on 28 Jan 2022, 8:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Concentrating on the subject of this thread - Nick Freeman - AFAIK as a criminal lawyer he doesn't sue anybody. (They do say the best jokes are the old ones but criminal lawyers all being criminals is threadbare.)

I do think that our civil law system is a long-standing work creation scheme
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

[/quote]
I have never regretted seeking help from a lawyer nor resented the cost. Either at home or at work.

Jonathan
[/quote]

Aren't you lucky.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

[/quote]

You represented them as the experiences of anyone who had dealt with lawyers.

They do not.
[/quote]
They do not what? Hope for an intelligible response? The salient point is that the law profession operates in a rarefied world where they are grossly over rewarded for very little effort. If this works for you, great. Most people can ill afford any legal advice offered by someone who can spell their own name without making an error. You know what they say about a fool and his money.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pliptrot wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 8:55pmMost people can ill afford any legal advice offered by someone who can spell their own name without making an error.
Do you mean "can't"?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS: The opening quote tag only works if you omit the solidus.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Now children, play nice.