Upgraded fly tipping?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ANTONISH

Upgraded fly tipping?

Post by ANTONISH »

Out for a ride a couple of days ago I came across these - a bit of a step up from the usual dumped tyres.
The machinery these tracks come from would be expensive as would the tracks themselves if new.
I would assume they come from a registered company and might be possibly traceable.
Attachments
20220127_122924 (2).jpg
20220127_122827 (2).jpg
Jdsk

Re: Upgraded fly tipping?

Post by Jdsk »

I wouldn't expect to be able to identify who owned them.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Unaccustomed as I am to violence and aggression, I think fly-tippers are the scum of the earth...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 10:36am Unaccustomed as I am to violence and aggression, I think fly-tippers are the scum of the earth...
Along with littering,agreed!

I see more and more of it,some in the most beautiful of areas too,out in the Trough of Boland area on Thursday I saw two mattresses dumped on the side of the road and in another place a pile of asbestos sheets broken flags bricks and soil obviously a Pickup truck had tipped it's load blocking a farm gate.
Another truly sickening example is the littering at the end of exit slips off motorways where you have to wait for a TL or a r/about truly disgusting!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A few years ago I bought a second hand tyre for my campervan off a proper tyre dealer. He told me that every tyre had a unique number on it that recorded its life passage. I have no reason to doubt him, but if true, you would think that any time a tyre is dumped it could be traced. However, I've never heard of it being done. It also leads me to wonder how much is done anyway to trace fly tippers.

I wonder if those rubber treads also have a unique number?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I remember a thread on a cycling forum about littering and the majority seemed to think it OK to throw their litter into the hedge or wherever they're riding. Mostly justifying it by the fact that eventually the banana skins decompose. Whilst it does I always thought the mentality is the same.

Leave no trace is a wildcamping tenet that I think could apply to cycling related flytipping.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Depends on too many things the waste fruit thing. I will go back for the tiny corner that came off a gel sachet whereas fruit residue is not an issue as it gets eaten by the sheep and boar pulped by traffic. Same as those treads. might be dumped, might be lost and even badly missed. On the way home tonight I binned a pair of cycling shoes obviously left from the weekend. (well they were there at 7am before the car park opened and still there at 4pm). Bet hey were left in error but the memory foam mattress a hundred yards away wasn't.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Definitely not banana skins, orange peel, pineapple tops, etc as they are not native to this fair land and break down very slowly.

I think apple cores are different as long as they are placed out of sight, eg in a hedgerow. They are eaten by small rodents and assorted bugs. More food than available in our arable deserts. The pips have resulted in quite a few apple trees that make good picking in the autumn. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

ANTONISH wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 10:28am Out for a ride a couple of days ago I came across these - a bit of a step up from the usual dumped tyres.
The machinery these tracks come from would be expensive as would the tracks themselves if new.
I would assume they come from a registered company and might be possibly traceable.
I use the FixMyStreet app for flagging all the fly-tipping I come across - which is quite a lot at times.
https://www.fixmystreet.com/

I did find a discarded fridge in a hedgerow last year - it has made a very nice freebie honey warming cabinet - so its not all bad :lol:
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

On one of the rural roads I ride is a painted sign placed near the entrance gate to a home: "Only trash dumps trash". The very same could be said about my neighbourhood.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

In the country isn't flytipping also just the farmers tendency to never throw anything away? I mean you'll all have seen rotting machinery, metal, tyres, etc in farmyard and surrounding fields, right? Why? Surely scrap the metal and get the scrap value if it's truly no good?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 7:17am In the country isn't flytipping also just the farmers tendency to never throw anything away? I mean you'll all have seen rotting machinery, metal, tyres, etc in farmyard and surrounding fields, right? Why? Surely scrap the metal and get the scrap value if it's truly no good?
Farmers vary in this regard. I have had dealings with lots of farmers, and the ones with very messy operations seem to me to be the ones scraping along on very low incomes. The more professional outfits seem to be the tidy ones.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tiggertoo wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 7:25pm On one of the rural roads I ride is a painted sign placed near the entrance gate to a home: "Only trash dumps trash". The very same could be said about my neighbourhood.
There's a lot of trash about! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 8:01am
Tangled Metal wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 7:17am In the country isn't flytipping also just the farmers tendency to never throw anything away? I mean you'll all have seen rotting machinery, metal, tyres, etc in farmyard and surrounding fields, right? Why? Surely scrap the metal and get the scrap value if it's truly no good?
Farmers vary in this regard. I have had dealings with lots of farmers, and the ones with very messy operations seem to me to be the ones scraping along on very low incomes. The more professional outfits seem to be the tidy ones.
If they're to be believed most farmers are just scraping along. :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 8:42am
pwa wrote: 1 Feb 2022, 8:01am
If they're to be believed most farmers are just scraping along. :wink:
My impression has been that the ones with lots of nice new kit in the yard are the ones least likely to have piles of rubbish shoved into corners. Whether that is because a tidy approach leads to profitability as well. or because struggling financially leads to untidiness somehow, I don't know.