Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Jdsk »

Mr Johnson has asked military and security chiefs to give him more options to mitigate against what Downing Street has called "growing Russian aggression".
Oh dear.

I've told the editor and asked what the style sheet says.

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 10:23am In other news about Boris Johnson

Ukraine: Boris Johnson to call Vladimir Putin and visit region
Mr Johnson has asked military and security chiefs to give him more options to mitigate against what Downing Street has called "growing Russian aggression".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60179127

I'm unclear whether he's facing down the Russian bear or it's an entry for "What does your head in?" Either way, it's a bit extreme just to distract from partygate
I wouldn't put anything past Johnson to take the heat off himself and his lies.
Last edited by reohn2 on 29 Jan 2022, 10:41am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Q Which is the greater threat:
  • The Russian Bear?
  • Illiteracy at the BBC?
A Neither of the above. (Clue: something beginning with BJ)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 10:23am In other news about Boris Johnson

Ukraine: Boris Johnson to call Vladimir Putin and visit region
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60179127

I'm unclear whether he's facing down the Russian bear or it's an entry for "What does your head in?" Either way, it's a bit extreme just to distract from partygate
Or Johnson just reminding Putin of the safe haven for Russian money the UK has been and will undoubtedly continue to be. And if they've got any more they want hidden under the radar then UK still has plenty of hiding places for it.

Ian
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

".....Johnson just reminding Putin of the safe haven for Russian money the UK has been and will undoubtedly continue to be. And if they've got any more they want hidden under the radar then UK still has plenty of hiding places for it."

I don't doubt that that will be his line, but even Vlad might have noticed that Bozo's word is not entirely to be trusted!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Sounds like we are getting a Police excuse cover-up to let Johnson stay in power
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/partygate-sue-gray-tobias-ellwood-b2003376.html wrote:...
A heavily-redacted draft of the civil servant’s report will be released within days, but with references to parties that the police are investigating stripped out after the Met demanded it.

There are no plans to publish an unredacted version, once the police have finished their investigation, which means the most serious aspects may never see the light of day.
Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 10:38am Q Which is the greater threat:
  • The Russian Bear?
  • Illiteracy at the BBC?
A Neither of the above. (Clue: something beginning with BJ)
Sorry, don't agree.

Heard a few times on the BBC R4 news this morning regarding the new edition of the Highway Code.
Yes, I know this is a separate subject, but I'm answering your question.

BBC R4 news reported that cyclists are being allowed to ride down the middle of the road.
Bumping over the cat's eyes perhaps?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 4:12pm
Heard a few times on the BBC R4 news this morning regarding the new edition of the Highway Code.
Yes, I know this is a separate subject, but I'm answering your question.

BBC R4 news reported that cyclists are being allowed to ride down the middle of the road.
This is about Boris's Brain. Cyclists riding down the middle of the road (and the BBC's later correction) are elsewhere
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 4:07pm Sounds like we are getting a Police excuse cover-up to let Johnson stay in power
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/partygate-sue-gray-tobias-ellwood-b2003376.html wrote:...
A heavily-redacted draft of the civil servant’s report will be released within days, but with references to parties that the police are investigating stripped out after the Met demanded it.

There are no plans to publish an unredacted version, once the police have finished their investigation, which means the most serious aspects may never see the light of day.
Ian
Did we really expect anything else? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent TC.
Just answering your point about the illiterate BBC. :wink:

For my own point of view, and I expect countless millions of us, Boris should go.
Someone - a politician? - on the BBC this morning, suggested that when he goes, it will trigger a general election.

Yes please!
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 4:12pm .....
BBC corrected it in the next bulletin.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Today Programme.
Didn't listen to the BBC after that.

Thank goodness they corrected it, but if the non-cyclists only listened (like me) to the Today Prog, they wouldn't have heard the correction.

Journalism these days, leaves a lot to be desired.
Truth?
Who knows eh?
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Mick F wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 4:23pmSomeone - a politician? - on the BBC this morning, suggested that when he goes, it will trigger a general election.
JR-M said as much on Newsnight a few days ago.

It was, of course, intended as a coded message to Tory backbenchers about the inadvisability of rocking the boat.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

DaveReading wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 4:44pm
Mick F wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 4:23pmSomeone - a politician? - on the BBC this morning, suggested that when he goes, it will trigger a general election.
JR-M said as much on Newsnight a few days ago.

It was, of course, intended as a coded message to Tory backbenchers about the inadvisability of rocking the boat.
Makes one wonder about Rees-Mogg and his attitude towards the intelligence of Conservative MPs. Does he really think them daft enough to believe it when he makes up new constitutional rules "on-the-fly". One would hope they'd see through such Rees-Mogg daftness in a few seconds.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 4:27pmJournalism these days, leaves a lot to be desired.
Truth?
Who knows eh?
"These days"? When was it ever better?

There are two separate issues:

1 One's own ways of finding out about what's happening. This has never been easier, quicker or cheaper. And it's great to have the truth so readily available.

2 Concern about or deprecation of what others are writing, saying, or reading. "Aren't other people awful/ ignorant/ stupid?"

The connection to this thread and the Prime Minister is the worrying push towards reducing freedom of speech and plurality. Examples available on demand...

Jonathan