Longer stay parking in Germany

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thehairs1970

Longer stay parking in Germany

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Anyone have any experience of parking while touring in Germany? What sort of places might be good? Thanks
Jdsk

Re: Longer stay parking in Germany

Post by Jdsk »

That's to park a motorised vehicle... not an HPV?

And for how long, please?

Jonathan
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

When I rode the Danube cycle path I looked at the possibility of parking at Passau.
There were several sites on offer - The tourist boats go from there and it seems that there is a demand for a few days parking.
I expect there will be other areas where long term parking is on offer.
That's as little as I know.
I ended up flying to Vienna and getting the train to Passau.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

SNAP!

But we did leave the Espace at Passau. I'd previously negotiated with the hotel where we spent the night before setting off.

Jonathan
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Thanks for the answers so far. Plan is to be south - near the alps. Car will need to be left for around ten days.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Are you staying in an hotel before cycling? if so I'd talk to them about leaving it with them or to get advice about other local options.

I suppose the same would apply to a campsite but I've never done that...

Jonathan
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

You can also ask the company providing your Umweltplakette (Environmental Sticker - needed for entry in to most German towns). I've found that they normally know a lot about car parking.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've happily left the car for several days in station car parks.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

st599_uk wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 10:59am You can also ask the company providing your Umweltplakette (Environmental Sticker - needed for entry in to most German towns). I've found that they normally know a lot about car parking.
Eh? A what?
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 5:29pm
st599_uk wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 10:59am You can also ask the company providing your Umweltplakette (Environmental Sticker - needed for entry in to most German towns). I've found that they normally know a lot about car parking.
Eh? A what?
The proof of how polluting your vehicle is. It's used in 80+ cities in Germany, depending on local conditions, they may limit access to Green or Green and Amber only on any particular day.

Looks like:

ADAC have a guide on how to get one and the fines for being caught without one: https://assets.adac.de/image/upload/v15 ... pclvqu.pdf
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

If you're near the mountains, ski resort towns have a loads of free parking. Usually smaller, tourist oriented towns will offer free parking.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike