How many crashes this year?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
David2504

Re: How many crashes this year?

Post by David2504 »

First fall this year, and for many years last week.

Completing a circuit around Coniston Water my front wheel lost traction and slipped on a downhill bend underneath trees on a greasy road. Possibly black ice as temp 2 to 3C following a slight overnight frost, but I think more likely a result of no rain for a while and run off and muck accumulating in a thin invisible film on the road. Fortunately I was proceeding at a gentlemanly pace as it was my intention to stop at the bottom of the hill by some benches to consume my jam sandwich lunch. Main damage was to clothing. I had a little scrapped skin which would have been much worse if not for the winter weight clothing. Bike was fine as I fell to the right so the bike essentially landed on top of me. Being mid January the tourists were all at home so traffic was virtually non existent. No real harm done so managed a further 20 miles to home.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

to consume my jam sandwich lunch
Presumably with peanut butter under the jam? It's what I often take on rides.
David2504

Post by David2504 »

Tiggertoo wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 10:16pm
to consume my jam sandwich lunch
Presumably with peanut butter under the jam? It's what I often take on rides.
On this occasion it was mixed jams, marmalade and grape, both gifts of home made products from friends, the grape jam being made from home grown greenhouse grapes. However I am an aficionado of both peanut butter and jam so will experiment with that combo. Thanks for the idea. Any particular flavour of jam you find works best?
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Well, I make my own marmalade and I make 'freeze strawberry' jam (no pectin and puree strawberries then put jars in the freezer), but for the peanut/jam combo I like apricot jam, but any kind works.

I also make turkey/cheese sandwiches for some of my rides. At home I make a oatmeal biscuit/cheese sandwich sometimes with jam - but that gets squiggy and the jam oozes out the sides to make a mess, but still delicious anyway.

When in the RAF I would go to the mess and make a jam/sugar sandwich, also very tasty.

There is nothing you can't make a sandwich out of. :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Tiggertoo wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 1:51pm
There is nothing you can't make a sandwich out of. :D
Very true and I did just that without the bread.

Once when touring I called in at a village shop -- they'd ran out of bread -- but they had rice cakes and some raw chicken fillets left -- I had a frying pan, some bouillon powder and veg at the tent.

you can I imagine the result --

Very tasty indeed.
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tiggertoo wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 1:51pmThere is nothing you can't make a sandwich out of.
"Toast sandwich":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast_sandwich

Jonathan
Ron

Post by Ron »

None last year.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Had my dressings changed yesterday, and due another change on Monday and Thursday. More appointments booked for the following week just in case I need them. They can be cancelled if not required.

Not been sleeping very well at all. Too sore to turn over in the night, so waking up, or not sleeping. Sore elbow, stiff arm, achy chest, sore leg.

It finally caught up with me yesterday after walking the dog - including hills - and I needed an afternoon nap. My aches and pains are subsiding at a pace now, and I was fast asleep at 7pm last night and slept solidly until 1am this morning. 6hrs!
I got up, had a cuppa, then back in bed at 1:45, and woke again at 5:15.

Slept like a log, and feel SO MUCH better. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Mick F wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 9:19am Slept like a log, and feel SO MUCH better. :D
Well done on the sleep! It definitely helps to get a good 40 winks.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Benz3ne wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 12:03pm
Yep best thing after my smash was getting to sleep.
I am here. Where are you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 25 Jan 2022, 1:25pm I've just got home from the minor injuries unit at Tavistock.

Went out on a ride on Moulton this morning, up out of the valley to Tavistock and was going to head out along Route 27 before heading back to Tavistock along the lanes and a different route back home. Supposed to have been a 20mile circuit ending up at the pub for a couple of beers.

Ha Ha Ha.
Got as far as the mini roundabout on the edge of town to turn right, when BANG. :shock:
Not going fast at all, and going round it like I have done many thousands of times, but both wheels just slid out to the left, and hit the tarmac hard onto my right. I was down in a split second.

Zero friction on the tarmac?
5degC so not ice.

Cut lower leg, deep gouges into my elbow, and a cut above my eyebrow.
Wonderful people came to my aid, and mopped up my blood and phoned for an ambulance. I asked them to get my phone out of my saddle bag and I phoned Mrs Mick F. 20mins later, no sign of an ambulance but Mrs Mick F turned up.
She and the people got Moulton into the back of our car, and Mrs Mick F drove me the half mile to the injuries unit.

Patched up, and ok. Aching all over, and a very sore right elbow. Not enough flesh to stitch up, so I have to give it three days and get my dressing changed. The rest of the wounds are ok to leave as and when, but the elbow injury went down to the bone! :shock:

That's me, sitting with my feet up and out of action for a while!
Only just seen this post.
Sorry to hear about it Mick,get well soon and hope there's no lasting effects physical or mental.
Could you smell diesel on the road?i
If it's not ice it's usually a fuel spill of sorts or gravelly marbles,old tarmac can have a lot of rubber embedded in it which can also be slippery when damp especially for bicycles with HP tyres made worse with a small wheeler as the contact patch is even smaller still than large wheeled bike,marginal agreed but can be significant under certain circumstances.

The last time I had a fall like that it was ice and cost me a broken wrist.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks R2. :D
Feeling much better, but still not right.
Slept well, so my aches and pains are subsiding ......... thank goodness.

I am expecting (fingers crossed) that by Monday or Tuesday I'll be fit enough to ride out of the valley. Hills either way and impossible to get out without a hill.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it was diesel on the road. I'd seen traces of it earlier in the ride, but never put two and two together as the other bends on the road on the way to Tavistock seemed ok. Maybe they weren't, and I was just lucky then, and unlucky later.

I've been round that mini roundabout thousands of times, and never ever given it a thought.
Mick F. Cornwall
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Cowsham wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 2:45pm
Benz3ne wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 12:03pm
Yep best thing after my smash was getting to sleep.
Definitely! I’ve had a couple of nasty injuries previously, one rugby-related and one as a workplace injury shortly after finishing university.
Good sleep is what made me feel best.
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

Had a similar experience to Mick F yesterday. Turning left at moderate speed on a road I know well, exactly as I'd done countless times before, and I was on the tarmac before I knew it. In the split second before I hit the ground, I recalled that I'd found the corner to be slippery a few days earlier :oops: I'm guessing there was oil/diesel down or similar. My main concern was to call my wife, as the 'incident detection' on my Garmin had tripped and messaged her, and she'd probably have assumed the worst!
Got away with major road rash on one arm, massive swelling/bruising on one hip, a badly swollen thumb and a broken finger. Oh, and a broken helmet :(
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hope you're mended as soon as possible.

Jonathan