What to provide for cycle tourists?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattheus

Re: What to provide for cycle tourists?

Post by mattheus »

As we are (mostly) cyclists, not B&B owners here, I'd say it makes sense to advise what we would LIKE to have the use of.

Better for the business owner to investigate any legal issues they think are significant.

(After all, if our advice turns out to be shonky, are they in a position to pursue us for compensation?? :P )
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

greenygreenster wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 10:54am Hi all
I run a couple of holiday lets in Northumberland on National Cycle Route 1. In the last 2 years we have had a huge increase in cycle tourists. Our current provision is an outdoor rack and so guests with shiny new bikes tend to bring the into the houses. However, we have some derelict outbuildings that would make a great cycle store.
So I need some help with the following questions:
1. what are the essentials?
2. what would make it amazing?
cheers,
Mark
a german shepherd, hungry.
gaz

Post by gaz »

No list is definitive, however the one you'll find under "criteria" here could be viewed as official.

AFAICT the CyclingUK "Cycle Friendly Places" Accrediation is not available in the OPs area, the INTERREG funding is restricted to Kent, Cornwall and Norfolk.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

The most important thing is something solid that both wheels and frame can be locked to, e.g. metal tubing loops cemented into the ground, with space in between so bikes aren't in contact with each other when taking in and out. A roof to keep the weather off comes a close second.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

One of those Lidl / Halfords/ wiggle bike tool kits, which aren't expensive and not worth nicking. Not that cycle tourists are likely to steal!

Also some 26 / 700c tubes and a bottle of gt85 spray and lube.

If on a off road route - a portable power wash like a mud daddy perhaps?

Cheers James
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I'm always happy to get a secure lock up with a good roof.
Perhaps I'm showing my age but in my opinion cycle tourists should be reasonably self sufficient.
Most cyclists are decent people but in my experience there is always the odd bad apple.
If you are providing more than the basics there will always be the possibility of abuse.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

A drying room for cycle gear worn during the day. Nothing worse than putting on wet gear in the morning.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Blondie wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 1:51pm A drying room for cycle gear worn during the day.
Yes.

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Whenever I park the bike, whether it's in a shed or not, my method of choice is up against a wall with four points of contact: wheels, seat and bars. I won't use Sheffield stands because they scratch the frame and have little or no friction to stop the bike rolling, (unless I'm leaving fully laden panniers on, in which case I can lean one of those against it). Wheelbenders vary, slots in concrete blocks are useless, but these aren't too bad with hoops that extend well up the wheel. These are no good, because the wheels won't stay wedged in them without coming loose.

From a quick check, it appears Sheffield stands are ~£46 apiece, I would have thought you could construct some stalls with a wooden panel to lean the bike against for that.

Lighting, and enough room to work out of the rain would be helpful, with a floor that's flat enough to stand the bike upside down without it falling over. I agree with someone else's comment that those who are competent to use tools are likely to be carrying their own.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
horizon

Post by horizon »

thirdcrank wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 12:27pm

Put some beds in your derelict outbuildings.

This is it. I'm really fed up of B and Bs (and AirbnBs) where you are led up to a pristine bedroom where, even without the bike, you will have to be careful with wet panniers and muddy shoes, there is no real space to lay out your bits and pieces and certainly nowhere to dry clothing. Meanwhile your host is still clearing out the garage for somewhere to squeeze your bike into or worse, suggesting it will be fine locked to the local lamp post (that was real BTW).

Most cyclists IMV want to be in sight of their bikes overnight: if you don't want them in the room, then put the beds in the cycle shed - really. The cycle shed pictured upthread BTW looked idyllic - I would happily sleep in there. Camping pods are the model I have in mind.

So I would say to the OP, when they restore their derelict outbuildings, put in single or double units (i.e. rooms) with bed and bedding, drying rack, an oil filled radiator, no carpets, somewhere to lean the bike (or hook up), a wash-hand basin and towel, lighting. The showers and kettle can be somewhere else. A communal kitchen would be bliss. Am I thinking of a youth hostel?

Understanding people's needs is really challenging and the need are not always what you might assume or expect.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pq

Post by pq »

I also own accommodation (in which we host cyclists) and tour a lot. The only thing that matters is secure storage for bikes. All the rest is nice I guess, but pretty much no-one provides that stuff so it's not expected and you're wasting your money. There's little enough money in accommodation as it is.

When I'm touring, if the owner isn't at the accommodation, I always take my bike inside whatever else might be available. I'm very careful of course. Otherwise I need to be convinced that it's secure - if it isn't, I leave. I very much doubt you could make scruffy outbuildings secure enough for the sort of money it would make sense to spend, so maybe providing a tarp so that bikes don't drip onto your nice clean floors would be a good compromise? However I have no experience of providing accommodation with bikes in rooms as I have very secure bike storage, so it's never an issue.
One link to your website is enough. G
mjr

Post by mjr »

axel_knutt wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 3:34pmI won't use Sheffield stands because they scratch the frame and have little or no friction to stop the bike rolling,
Put your bike on its stand and lock it to the Sheffield stand, then.
From a quick check, it appears Sheffield stands are ~£46 apiece, I would have thought you could construct some stalls with a wooden panel to lean the bike against for that.
Wooden panels are easily cut to remove bikes and don't normally secure properly into the ground.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Blondie wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 1:51pm A drying room for cycle gear worn during the day. Nothing worse than putting on wet gear in the morning.
+1

A drying cabinet could perhaps be more easily installed in the outbuilding, they are excellent and compact (we have a couple at work)

https://www.iconappliances.co.uk/peko.html
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

A thick steel door set unto a stone brick or blockwork opening should be fairly secure.

A fabricator should be able to weld one up easily. You can always clad it with a fake timber finish if you like.

Don't have the drying room and bike shed as one - leather saddles don't like it!!

Cheers James
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

greenygreenster wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 10:54am Hi all
I run a couple of holiday lets in Northumberland on National Cycle Route 1. In the last 2 years we have had a huge increase in cycle tourists. Our current provision is an outdoor rack and so guests with shiny new bikes tend to bring the into the houses. However, we have some derelict outbuildings that would make a great cycle store.
So I need some help with the following questions:
1. what are the essentials?
2. what would make it amazing?
cheers,
Mark
A smashing question and to echo what others have said.

1. Secure undercover and dry cycle storage at a minimum. Ideally with some way such as wall anchors or a rack to stand bikes against and lock would be good. Adding a power point so ebikes can be charged too perhaps.

2. The above plus a track pump, and maybe a small toolset. Most tourists will have some tools with them though. A drying room would also be fantastic and is great after a wet day out, but needs to be seperate from the bike store