Ride with a view

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dave Gy

Ride with a view

Post by Dave Gy »

Good evening, I was just wondering...

What is the best view in the UK that you have seen and was it really worth the ride?

Besides seeing the misses when I get back from a ride :wink: I don't really have anything else breath taking to see around here.

Dave
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Well .... here in mid-Devon, most of my cycling takes places in beautiful surroundings. The most recent one was last week: I did 10 very, very, very hilly miles which included the road from Ashill up to Blackborough.

Breath-taking in all senses!
Dee
nosmo king

Post by nosmo king »

Living in North Wales the best view for me is the view up Llanberis Pass to the summit and the youth hostel at Pen-Y-Pass. The rugged scenery and winding road going up is superb.
BrianInnes

Post by BrianInnes »

One of my favourite routes takes me over a wee single width road from Kirkcaldy to Burntisland which takes me over Binn Hill. Half way along this route there is a lovely space to stop and admire the views of the Firth of Forth, with Largo Law, Bass Rock and Berwick Law in the distance.

:D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The top of Peek Hill up onto Dartmoor from Yelverton on the B3212.

The views over Plymouth Sound, Saltash, Tavistock, Horrabridge, Walkhampton and way out to Bodmin Moor are spectacular!

Also, back in Lancashire ....
Parblod Hill over the Lancashire Plain, out to Southport and round to Blackpool and Morecambe Bay beyond.
A view from my childhood!
Mick F. Cornwall
Dean

Post by Dean »

Northern side of the Kirkstone Pass. Unsurpassed.
glueman

Post by glueman »

A lot depends on the weather. The western fringes of Sheffield offer views over to North Wales if it's clear and you can see the Dales from nearby peak roads apparently. The road past the Roaches from Buxton offers incredible views to the Cheshire plain, Trent Valley and well into Shropshire.
You can see the Lakeland hills from the southern Dales. I reckon you can discern the east coast and York minster from Holme Moss in ideal conditions. Freshly scrubbed skies after a rainstorm with mixed sunshine and cloud are perfect for the long view.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

glueman wrote:I reckon you can discern the east coast and York minster from Holme Moss in ideal conditions.

from my experience of holme moss, being able to see ones feet constitutes a clear day. it must be the foggiest place in all england :lol:
Si

Post by Si »

The stone circle on the top of the Clent Hills - you can see the Urals on a clear day :wink:
glueman

Post by glueman »

hubgearfreak wrote:
glueman wrote:I reckon you can discern the east coast and York minster from Holme Moss in ideal conditions.

from my experience of holme moss, being able to see ones feet constitutes a clear day. it must be the foggiest place in all england :lol:

Actually elevated places get relatively little fog, although low cloud is frequently an issue. For proper fogs I'd try Lincolnshire or the Vale of York.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

glueman wrote:Actually elevated places get relatively little fog, although low cloud is frequently an issue.

hehe. i love pedantry. either way, you'd struggle to discern the east coast

glueman wrote:For proper fogs I'd try Lincolnshire

i do almost every day 8)
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Winter Hill, two miles from my front door. The view includes the Pennines from above Rochdale down to Derbyshire, the Manchester conurbation, Joddrel Bank, the tops of some hills over the southern horizon (which must be somewhere in Staffordshire), Frodsham Old Man, Runcorn Bridge, the Welsh mountains, the Dee Estuary, the Liverpool skyline, Anglesea, gas rigs and windmills out in the Irish Sea, the Isle of Man, the Lakeland Fells, and the Pendle Hill region to the north. And if you look up vertically you see 309 metres of transmitter mast stretching up to the clouds.
glueman

Post by glueman »

hubgearfreak wrote: i love pedantry.

So I'd noticed. :shock:
glueman

Post by glueman »

May have mentioned this before but the most awe inspiring view I've seen was from Kirk Fell at the head of Wastwater. The sun was setting on a beautiful summer evening to show Blackpool tower and the coast in the forground, the Isle of Man looked like a toy island in a pond and the Irish coast was clear with views well into the mainland.

Spectacular.
PW

Post by PW »

Locally, midsummer sunrise from Eyam Moor stone circle looking at Higgar Tor - the midnight ride over the moors is my favourite occasion of the year.
Further afield either the view to McLeods Tables on Skye from the Bealach Na Ba or, given a bit of walking :roll: the view from McLeods Tables across the other way to the Hebrides.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!