Multiple punctures from gorse?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
VinceLedge

Multiple punctures from gorse?

Post by VinceLedge »

Myself and partner were on an exploratory off road ride in rural Aberdeenshire and the track we ended up on was almost impassable through thick gorse for a mile or so.
No problem
Until got back to house and noticed 3 out of 4 tyres going soft!
Repaired about 6 tiny holes in the inner tubes and could find nothing sharp in the tyres so I can only assume it was gorse spines going through the thin sidewall of the tyre and not breaking off in the tyre.
On original Bontrager tyres which are not the highest quality but these are rhe first punctures we have had in several hundred miles on the MTBs!
Maybe an argument for tubeless :lol:
thirdcrank

Re: Multiple punctures from gorse?

Post by thirdcrank »

I think it's inevitable that the gorse caused your punctures but you may only find if none of the tips broke off f you don't get more punctures soon.

I have a strong memory of being out with my dear old dad circa 1959 when he had picked up a thorn like a darning needle which had passed right through a tyre - in through the tread and out through the sidewall - but I've also plenty of experience of mistakenly believing I'd removed the source of a puncture.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 12:17pmin through the tread and out through the sidewall
I've had that with a 4" nail. The first I knew was a CRASH CRASH CRASH as it snagged on the brake block at every revolution, by which time the hole in the sidewall was a long slot.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

The 3 tyres stayed up for a ride today, so hopefully no spikes left in them!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Good news indeed

a_k's post reminds me of a puncture long ago in my Renault Fourgon van. On my way home after a night shift at 0600 I was on the A64 Woodpecker flyover (as Leeds Loiners with long memories will remember it) and it sounded as though I was being machine-gunned. I'd picked up something like a spark plug and it had penetrated as far as the hexagon and then stuck. The protruding bit was banging something on the van as it went round and ruined an almost new tyre
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Avoid cycling through gorse-very painful.
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

Maybe look here!
viewtopic.php?t=150895