Essex to Bournemouth

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bigdavelamb

Essex to Bournemouth

Post by bigdavelamb »

Hi

I am looking to cycle down to Bournemouth on my road bike and wondered if anyone had some recommendations? I was trying to make it around 200 miles over 2 days so was maybe looking to go via Surrey Hills and incorporating some of the South Downs Way maybe via Winchester (however I cycled the King Alfreds Way last year on my gravel bike so would happily skip Winchester).

Any recommendation would be great.

Thanks.
Dave
Vorpal

Re: Essex to Bournemouth

Post by Vorpal »

Roughly where in Essex? And do you want to go through or around London?

If around, you might want to consider the Gravesend - Tilbury ferry?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bigdavelamb

Post by bigdavelamb »

I am leaving from Ongar. Although I could drive somewhere first and leave the car somewhere. I would rather not go through London as I cycle there fairly frequently. I can get to Gravesend (around 26 miles ) fairly easily through Upminster so it's planning scenic route from there really.

Thanks.
bigdavelamb

Post by bigdavelamb »

I have plotted a route starting in Gravesend. Not sure if it's any good or anyone has any feedback :wink:

Thanks
BeardyWeirdy

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

I can only comment of the final bit, but I would be tempted to to go from Winchester to Romsey, then across the the forest - I assume you are ok on gravel, looking at the route you picked on Route 2

something like this

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/314387

Nothing wrong with your route - I have done it - the southampton bit is a bit busy - the Hythe ferry is nice, but can add an hour to your trip if you miss one.

Either way sound fun!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't know the last part, but I might be tempted to go a bit further south in Kent via Redhill, for example, or outside the M25.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I used to live in romsey and I second the suggestion above and romsey into the forest is a great ride, I’d stay north of the M27 until well past Bramshaw but that might just be because that’s the route I know well.

I used to use the test valley and the forest north of the m27 as my training rides- did a lot of Audax back in those days so sometimes I went up onto Salisbury plain too.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I don't know what sort of roads you intend using but I'd be more inclined to go south from Gravesend through Meopham and Wrotham to Otford via Kemsing which will put you close to Sevenoaks.
There are various routes you could follow - of course you have to get out of Gravesend from the ferry- not a great place to start but if you can pick your way South to the A2 there are some cycle paths to take you across the A2. and towards Wrotham etc.
Your present route takes you to Orpington and South east London although some of the way is on cycle path NC1
bigdavelamb

Post by bigdavelamb »

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone, it's really much appreciated. I have amended my tour, as what was quite rightly pointed who in the right mind would wish to cycle through Croydon! So dropping down into Kent more and also avoiding Southampton and cycling more through the New Forest.

I have included a share on Komoot as well:

https://www.komoot.com/tour/769931282?s ... oU&ref=wtd

Thanks again!