Triple chainset

Private Small Ads only. Dealers, traders or commercials will be deleted.
disherwood

Triple chainset

Post by disherwood »

An oap cyclist fried of mine has has bent his drive side of his cheap bike

Looking to help by replacing it for home cheap or free

22/32/42......not really essential to match

Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG-20220514-WA0010.jpg
disherwood

Re: Triple chainset

Post by disherwood »

Apologies..... West Yorkshire.... I can pick up....
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Suntour are cheap but not that cheap there are cheaper nastier cranksets out there. I'm assuming looking at that pedal that it was a bit of a accident to say the least. If its an aluminium framed bike probably worth giving it a very good check over for frame damage either cracks or bends. Aluminium doesn't like bending so if bent the frame will be compromised.
disherwood

Post by disherwood »

Appreciate your input....

Totally understand.... All checked
disherwood

Post by disherwood »

Appreciate your input....

Totally understand.... All checked
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

To satisfy my idle curiosity, how did that damage happen? I'm no metallurgist but I'd have thought that an alloy crank would break before it would bend.
disherwood

Post by disherwood »

Apparently bike on rack at rear of vehicle and gently backed into an unmovable obstacle
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have an old alivio triple you can have for the cost of the postage. Its not great but in working order when I removed it from a bike. Can send a picture if you want.
I am away next week so wouldn't be able to post it until the following week.
Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill…Fausto Coppi.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

disherwood wrote: 14 May 2022, 11:28am Apparently bike on rack at rear of vehicle and gently backed into an unmovable obstacle
Thanks for the explanation. MickF is finally vindicated in his opposition to carrying bikes like that. At least, no cyclists were injured in the making of this image .... :wink:
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I have an old alivio triple
which probably/hopefully needs the same length BB axle as the bent crank, so no issues there.
A Suntour crank would need a shorter BB axle, or if mounted to the old axle would have all the chainwheels too far out to the right (poor chain line/indexing, mech might struggle to get to the big ring).

Gentle car reversing into something is better than a friend once had with a roof mount rack and a low railway bridge.....!
disherwood

Post by disherwood »

Many thanks for all input..... I did something my esteemed cycling engineering types may not like the idea of........

I mounted the crank in my large record vice gripping onto the steel spindle left over from the damaged pedal.... Having inserted a bottom bracket axle into the chainset I had just the right sized tube that slipped over the bottom bracket axle..... After removing the plastic chain guard I slowly heated the bent crank with a gas torch and having aligned everything I pulled on the tube to gradually pull the crank back into position
I can hear the unified groans of anguish.....

The bike is to be used for the odd couple of miles on flat tracks and given back to the seasoned old engineering gent who understands and agrees with need to monitor and take it easy..!!!

Don't try this at home kids.!! 😮