Recent 'flying with bike' experience in CTC bag

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
humankeith

Recent 'flying with bike' experience in CTC bag

Post by humankeith »

Does anyone have any recent experience flying with a bike in the CTC bag? I'm flying out later this year with EasyJet from Bristol and the bit I'm most stressed about is actually getting my bike through check in.

I am flying in and out of different airports.
MrsHJ

Re: Recent 'flying with bike' experience in CTC bag

Post by MrsHJ »

Me- Bristol to Geneva in September 21 then Nice to Bristol back with easyJet.

And April/May 22 Heathrow to Turin and Venice to Heathrow with BA.

Bag both times- you need to be really on it in Bristol on return though- they always put bikes on the conveyors so yours will go round with everyone else’s suitcases etc and cause a disaster if not collected quickly. Most places including Heathrow deliver oversized luggage separately but as a result of Bristol experiences I usually get my bag first and then hunt the bike down.

If you’re really worried why not get a box from a local bike shop? BA mention the plastic bag on their website which helps. EasyJet say a box or bag. I aim to get one side of the bike as flat as possible and have all the bumpy bits on the other side.
hoogerbooger

Post by hoogerbooger »

Was that packed with both wheels on?

(My recollection is bag is big enough, just to remove pedals and turn bars ?)
old fangled
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I take the front wheel off although the easyJet packing guide doesn’t mention doing that. Don’t forget you also need to get it into the airport packed and up to check in. Both wheels on would make that more of a challenge.

If it’s possible at Bristol (I can’t remember if it is) I’d pay a bit extra for going through the business class check in as that’s always the bit where the bike gets in the way, takes ages and is tricky with a narrow queue space for the check in desks.

Also think about getting the bike into the airport. Pack it there is an ok option. If transporting packed and arriving by car you can’t take it in the silver zone parking so the multi story or valet parking is easier if you’re not getting a lift. I prefer the valet parking as it’s at the same ground level as the terminal but now I’ve figured out the multi story it’s ok (bit of a hill with a packed trolley and I’m really thinking about on the way back downhill). The trolleys are by the entrance so not obvious when leaving the car park. I think there’s a risk they might run out- whereas the valet guys make sure they keep them stocked up and it’s an easy walk to the terminal to get one if you need.

I realise I’m starting to turn into a deluxe tourer- need to break the tent out for a bike weekend on Dartmoor!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Probably not a lot of people have flown 'recently' with easyJet or any other airline. There are plenty of old stories, good and bad, on the forum if you search. As ever, it's normally only the people who have problems who post. I have in the dim and distant flown twice with poly bag and it was OK, except bag ripped to fully deflate tyres. My guess is that you will be OK,

As to recently, I have flown 3 times with easyJet in the last 7 month and once with Ryan, but I use a cloth bag (see description in the CTC bag dimension post somewhere a few below this). I had no problems, although Gatwick is self check in, so the first person who saw my bike was the guy in charge of oversize. viewtopic.php?t=120943

Unfortunately, you are normally in the hands of the check in staff. If they say no, then very difficult to get round it. Supervisors usually support the staff and say things like easyJet may allow, but it's a local airport ruling.

As MrsHJ says, a cardboard bike box is virtually guaranteed to be accepted. This would get you through Bristol if you have transport to the airport that can carry it.

The best that can be suggested is that you get an email from easyJet confirming it is OK.