WI-FI EXTENDER SOCKET?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: WI-FI EXTENDER SOCKET?

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 15 May 2022, 6:54pm
531colin wrote: 15 May 2022, 6:39pm
Jdsk wrote: 14 May 2022, 8:33am As you already have some data over mains kit I'd consider buying a single new set to reach the dead spot and replace what you already have. It will usually work with two different sets over the same wiring but performance will be unpredictably impaired.
Thats how I had it figured.....now I have a thing thats wired to the modem, and one remote "repeater" thing......
I think for simplicity I'll just buy a whole new set; a "sender" wired to the modem and 2 "repeaters"....this?
Do you expect that one additional wireless base station will cover everywhere else needed?

And did you get the point upthread about the desirability of wired connections from the remote device as well as wireless? Does that matter for your uses?
Have a look at the TP-Link TL-WPA4220:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220T-KI ... to_dp&th=1

That has two remote devices, wired as well as wireless networking, and is my currently preferred make.

It doesn't have a pass-through mains socket in the devices so you might need countermeasures as upthread. If you do resort to an extension socket board then plug the network devices into the wall socket rather than the board.

Jonathan

PS: You can probably sell the old bits.
offroader

Post by offroader »

What type of wifi access point do you have? The early BT home hubs are pretty poor and coverage can be dramatically improved by switching to a newer smart hub. This avoids repeaters which can be flakey

I switched mother from a home hub 4 to a smart hub 2 (eBay special for about £10 all in) and coverage improved from patchy in the conservatory to ok at the top of the garden
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Jdsk wrote: 16 May 2022, 9:29am
Jdsk wrote: 15 May 2022, 6:54pm
531colin wrote: 15 May 2022, 6:39pm
Thats how I had it figured.....now I have a thing thats wired to the modem, and one remote "repeater" thing......
I think for simplicity I'll just buy a whole new set; a "sender" wired to the modem and 2 "repeaters"....this?
Do you expect that one additional wireless base station will cover everywhere else needed?

And did you get the point upthread about the desirability of wired connections from the remote device as well as wireless? Does that matter for your uses?

That has two remote devices, wired as well as wireless networking, and is my currently preferred make.

It doesn't have a pass-through mains socket in the devices so you might need countermeasures as upthread. If you do resort to an extension socket board then plug the network devices into the wall socket rather than the board.

Jonathan

Jonathan, thank you for your assistance in this, and apologies for late response....I got distracted, which is increasingly often the case! The device you linked correctly is actually the one I was looking at .....Unfortunately i didn't find out that my link went to a whole page of the things until too late! (there is one further down for £149.99..bearing in mind that nobody here will "gaming" or "streaming" whatever that means in the forseeable future, I guess I don't need to spend 3 times the money?)
I'm sure 1 extra base station will cover everywhere we need, and with my level of incompetence a wired option is always necessary!
If I can find or google the instructions for the existing thing I will probably try re-siting that first, I have been reminded that things have changed since I bought it and the original problem may no longer exist!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

offroader wrote: 16 May 2022, 10:51am What type of wifi access point do you have? The early BT home hubs are pretty poor and coverage can be dramatically improved by switching to a newer smart hub. This avoids repeaters which can be flakey

I switched mother from a home hub 4 to a smart hub 2 (eBay special for about £10 all in) and coverage improved from patchy in the conservatory to ok at the top of the garden
Good point, well made.
The current router is from Sky and only a month or three old, the system is optical fibre to a box in the street and phone wire from there.
The existing extender I bought for a previous system which came all the way down the phone wires and was always packing up mid-sentence.....I will try re-deploying the existing one first, it may be all I need to do!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 18 May 2022, 11:09am
Jdsk wrote: 16 May 2022, 9:29am
Jdsk wrote: 15 May 2022, 6:54pm Do you expect that one additional wireless base station will cover everywhere else needed?

The device you linked correctly is actually the one I was looking at .....Unfortunately i didn't find out that my link went to a whole page of the things until too late! (there is one further down for £149.99..bearing in mind that nobody here will "gaming" or "streaming" whatever that means in the forseeable future, I guess I don't need to spend 3 times the money?)
I'm sure 1 extra base station will cover everywhere we need, and with my level of incompetence a wired option is always necessary!
If I can find or google the instructions for the existing thing I will probably try re-siting that first, I have been reminded that things have changed since I bought it and the original problem may no longer exist!
Thanks, Colin.

I wouldn't spend more without a clear need.

As well as resiting the old one I'd check for updates for the devices and then see if there are other networks that might be affecting performance. The autoconfiguration stuff is now staggeringly good, but it's often worth having a quick look.

Jonathan